• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 RAF Escape Whistles

unclegrumpy

I noticed in Ken's post about Aero's current sale that he also has reproduction "WW2 Style RAF "Acme" Thunderer Escape Whistles".

That reminded me of flight jacket related topic that I have long been curious about...telling the differences between original WW2 RAF Escape Whistles and the reproductions.

Below is a whistle I have had for a long time, and always assumed to be real. However, I don't really know much about these, and hope some of you with more experience can point out the differences...including if there are clues related to the numbering.

One thing I noticed in taking the photos that was not as obvious before, was how sharp the stampings are...always interesting what you learn with a photo sometimes...though it can cut both ways.

Thanks for the help and input!

IMG_2585.jpg
IMG_2587.jpg

Roughwear

I have an original one. There are many repros on Ebay which are aged and from the photos it is quite hard to tell that they are not originals.

johnwayne

I think originals are brass base metal coated in tin/silver (I'm no metal expert to know for sure) but repro's I believe are certainly not brass, just a modern alloy(?) to replicate the look. The company that made them also made whistles for the police here in the UK and are still in business being J. Hudson & Co of Birmingham, the original Acme Thunderer being a sports whistle!

Last edited:

DJS48

I have had one of these for many years as well and don't remember how I acquired it. This AT does not have any numbers stamped on the sides, however it does have the AT name and "Made in England" stamped on the mouth piece.
Regards,
Don

jeremiah

Ok, so not exactly the same, nor an escape whistle, but here is a British police style whistle I found in the basement of my Mom's house when were there a few days ago. No markings, I wonder if its pre-war. It works very well still. Very loud.
IMG_1633.jpg

jeremiah

Another one I found in my moms basement which belonged to my father.
Only stamping on it says Germany.
Anyone know anything about it? I know it’s not RAF.

Attachments

• C0917B50-5F0E-4567-A1AC-352CA11C4CCC.jpeg
    C0917B50-5F0E-4567-A1AC-352CA11C4CCC.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 372
  • DDA135C3-530A-4A8E-BFA0-785A12971AAA.jpeg
    DDA135C3-530A-4A8E-BFA0-785A12971AAA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 345
  • 7BD52D7B-750F-40B8-8718-5746DE3C6E1A.jpeg
    7BD52D7B-750F-40B8-8718-5746DE3C6E1A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 392
Last edited:

Greg Gale

I have one on my A-2. I attached it to the female hook though, not on the male one like on most original photos. hose guys back in WW2 seemed to wear the collar turned out, and the male hook was pointing outwards. If I did like them, I wouldn't be able to zip my jacket up fully.

Edward

I believe mine to be authentic but no telling for sure since these are still being made and made to look old... mine has a shield logo stamped on the side that says Army NAVY EQUIPMENTS New York MEYER AND MADE IN ENGLAND and on the top it says The Acme Thunderer Made in England. the nickel is chipping away revealing what looks to be brass... any opinions on authenticity or age?

IMG_9753.JPG
IMG_9751.JPG

unclegrumpy

Meyer was a large and well known manufacturer of military insignia and equipment...mostly sold to Officers. They supplied military tailors and uniform shops across the country. While they made a lot of things themselves, they also purchased and then added their logo to other items...like this whistle. Whistles were part of most officers kit from before WW I up until the beginning of WW II.

I think this whistle dates to the mid to late 1930's, and is 100% original. I am having a hard time judging the size, but the ones you more typically see used by American Officers before the war were larger than the RAF versions.

344-1170332041.jpg

Last edited:

Greg Gale

@Edward can you easily wear it attached to the male hook? I mean that's the way most WW2 pilots seemed to have worn it, but it feels strange to me, I can't zip the jacket all the way up...

635422d688a556d78b1ae790431d8dd9.jpg

Greg Gale

Because then the hook (and the whistle) falls on the inside of the flap - it only works for me as long as the collar is turned out and sideways, like on the picture.

Carl

I believe mine to be authentic but no telling for sure since these are still being made and made to look old... mine has a shield logo stamped on the side that says Army NAVY EQUIPMENTS New York MEYER AND MADE IN ENGLAND and on the top it says The Acme Thunderer Made in England. the nickel is chipping away revealing what looks to be brass... any opinions on authenticity or age?

View attachment 4749 View attachment 4750

It is an English made whistle but sadly not an RAF issue type .
Roughwear has already posted pics of what the original type should look like .

My example
20180506_103617.jpg

20180506_103601.jpg

20180506_103609.jpg

20180506_103636.jpg

20180506_103643.jpg