• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 Pilot Knife????????

a2jacketpatches

Picked this up a few weeks ago thinking it was just a vintage knife but after some searching Ebay shows several listings calling it a WW2 Pilot Survival Knife, Is it?

a2jacketpatches

Yeah, post WW2 anyway, followed the link from watchmanjimg and found some great photos of it and this is the one used during the Korean War, some were marked U.S. this one is not otherwise known as "sterile" No fuller or "blood groove" which by the way had nothing to do with blood ever, the term was and always has been a selling tactic.

jack31916

According to the book U.S. Military Knives Bayonets & Machetes from M.H. Cole, page 77, it's a U.S.N. Mk.1 knife as made from november 1943 onwards. There seems to be a lot of contractors and the only thing they agreed on was the lenght of the blade: 5,125".

Could be postwar but not necessarily so...

For what it's worth ;)

a2jacketpatches

Read something like that as well in the link I mentioned. Also goes on to say that this bridges the gap between a Navy Mark 1 and the Jet pilot knife, the one with the tan sheath, sharpening stone, and hex pommel that was used through Vietnam and to this day I think. the Mark 1's I've picked up in the past were all marked as such with USN as well.

a2jacketpatches

Otter said:
I thought the USN ones were prominently stamped "USN" at the base of the blade on the opposite side to the manufacturer. http://www.quanonline.com/military/mili ... s/usnk.php.
Might well be a private purchase, they were a very popular maker, even made the capsule knifes for the Gemini programme.

Edit: Nope, I am wrong, that was Case and sons

From what i read they were stamped USN but these maintained the name and were used by the Navy but also the USAF. Like I said, bridged a gap there somewhere I guess. The design or the stacked leather washers leads me to believe it was intended for military service. At this point it's labeled a Korean War USAF Pilot Knife as all research points in that direction. Thanks all.....

jack31916

a2jacketpatches said:
Otter said:
I thought the USN ones were prominently stamped "USN" at the base of the blade on the opposite side to the manufacturer. http://www.quanonline.com/military/mili ... s/usnk.php.
Might well be a private purchase, they were a very popular maker, even made the capsule knifes for the Gemini programme.

Edit: Nope, I am wrong, that was Case and sons

From what i read they were stamped USN but these maintained the name and were used by the Navy but also the USAF. Like I said, bridged a gap there somewhere I guess. The design or the stacked leather washers leads me to believe it was intended for military service. At this point it's labeled a Korean War USAF Pilot Knife as all research points in that direction. Thanks all.....

I have no particular knowledge of knives so therefore I have to rely on the info of the book from Cole.

The Mark 1 knife seems to be a mysterious one. FYI this is the text in the book:

U.S.N. - Mark 1 & Related knives.

No two of the U.S.N. Mark 1 knives are the same, all are made different and all er marked different. So we have to put all of the Mark 1 and U.S.N. and other related knives of this type together so the collector can see how many of these he can put together and we're sure this is not all of them. Some of these knives with only the makers name could be a PX item, or commercial or even a post war knife. Who knows? The knife companies sure don't seem to know.

The original Navy drawing of the Mark 1 dated nov. 1943 calls for a blade lenght of 5,125", aluminum pommel held by a threaded nut, leather washer handle with colored fiber spacers at each end, blad stamped U.S.N. on the reverse and Mark 1 over the makers name on the observe, all metal parkerized. Not a single contractor followed all these specifications but "PAL" came closer than anyone else.

Just about the only thing the makers agreed on was the blade lenght. After that they took off in every direction. We find blades blued, parkerized and some polished bright. Some were ground flat, some were saber ground and some had a fluted blade. The handles were generally leather washers with some having fiber spacers at each end. "Colonial" made a black molded handle of hard rubber or plastic, the pommels were made of iron, plastic, aluminum and wood.

Ofcourse this is an older book (1979) and maybe more info has come up since. The book shows pen drawings of different makers and models of the Mark 1. Contractors shown in the book are: Camillus, H. Boker & Co., Colonial, Western, Imperial, Shrade-Walden, Ka-Bar, PAL, Geneva Forge Inc., Robeson,

watchmanjimg

jack31916 said:
According to the book U.S. Military Knives Bayonets & Machetes from M.H. Cole, page 77, it's a U.S.N. Mk.1 knife as made from november 1943 onwards. There seems to be a lot of contractors and the only thing they agreed on was the lenght of the blade: 5,125".

Could be postwar but not necessarily so...

For what it's worth ;)

As I understand it Cole got this one wrong and I believe this is mentioned in the USMF link I referenced earlier in the thread. The Mk. 1 is an altogether different knife in my experience.