• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 FLYING JACKET REPAIRS HELP!

TALLY HO!

HI,
I AM NEW TO VINTAGE LEATHER JACKETS AND I AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THATS OUT THERE.
I DO HAVE A QUESTION THOUGH THAT I FEEL SURE THAT SOME MEMBERS OUT THERE WILL HAVE THE ANSWER TO. I HAVE AN UNISSUED 41 PAT RAF FLYING JACKET WITH A TAPE PROBLEM, THIS IS QUITE A COMMON PROBLEM WITH WW2 RAF SHEEPSKIN FLYING JACKETS AND THAT PROBLEM IS WITH THE TAPE STITCHING BECOMING VERY WEAK. THE SEAM STITCHING UNDER THE TAPES ARE PERFECT , ITS JUST THE TAPES COMING UNDONE LIKE ZIPS. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE OR WHICH COMPANY CAN RESTITCH THESE TAPES BACK INTO PLACE. I DONT REALLY WANT NEW TAPES ADDED AS THIS LOOKS SO OBVIOUS WHEN DONE, UNLESS OF COURSE THE NEW TAPES HAVE A VINTAGE LOOK TO THEM.
SO IF ANYONE CAN HELP THEN YOUR ADVICE WILL BE VERY WELCOME, THANK YOU.

Andrew

Aeroleather Scotland do repairs to original Irvins. One of mine was repaired by them years ago (loose tapes included) and it looks totally original. If you could post some pics so we can give you some more directed advice.

capt71

I agree with Andrew. Aeroleather repaired/restored my father's WW2 A-2 years ago and did a superb job. The "restoration" included new knits and lining--they matched the original colors and materials perfectly.

Bill

MikeyB-17

Aero do a good job but don't expect it back in a hurry. It will be gone for months. My G-1 went in for a re-cuff in mid-October, and I didn't get it back until January, and I suspect it would have been longer if I hadn't started bugging Amanda. Excellent job, but they're busy, and I don't think repairs get top priority.

asiamiles

MikeyB-17 said:
Aero do a good job but don't expect it back in a hurry. It will be gone for months.
Though he's not likely to need an Irvin for months...unless he planning a trip to one of the poles! :D

A

Anonymous

just don't ask g-1 mouton replacement from Aero, it's crap, sorry to say

Dr H

Sleeve shortening was well done and reasonably priced by Aero. Latest bit of sleeve work will have taken 6 weeks, so a fair old wait. Will give ELC a go with the next one if can promise/deliver more quickly.