• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 A2 USAAF Flying Jacket 17th BG Doolittle Raiders A2

Roughwear

This jacket is not what the seller claims it is. The Doolittle Raid occurred on 18th April 1942 and the contract for the Perry Sportswear 42-16175-P was placed on 23rd May 1942. This jacket might have belonged to someone who survived the raid, and placed the 17th BG patch on it but it could not have been worn on the raid itself. Perhaps it was his replacement A2?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Genuine-W ... 2c6af35cf9

Peter Graham

Andrew, why did you post this ? Are you just trying to stir and cause doubt ? Ok, you've read Gary Eastman's book. Nowhere in this listing does the seller claim that this jacket had any part in the Dolittle raids, just that it's patched to the 17th BG, who took part in the raid. Honestly, have you nothing better to do than flag up ebay sellers who are just trying to make a buck ? Get a life.

Roughwear

Peter Graham said:
Andrew, why did you post this ? Are you just trying to stir and cause doubt ? Nowhere in this listing does the seller claim that this jacket had any part in the Dolittle raids, just that it's patched to the 17th BG, who took part in the raid. Honestly, have you nothing better to do than flag up ebay sellers who are just trying to make a buck ?

The seller revised the post since I posted this link. I do not need to justify this post to someone who delights in sniping at me. :roll:

Peter Graham

Roughwear said:
The seller revised the post since I posted this link. I do not need to justify this post to someone who delights in sniping at me. :roll:
Well that's convenient. I don't delight at sniping at you but you delight at sniping at random ebay sellers. Why bother, why ??

Jeff M

Thanks for the heads up Andrew.
I got the impression from the original listing that the jacket was indeed worn by a Doolittle raider on the raid.
Glad the seller cleared up any confusion.
(Actually, the seller didn't really go out of his way much to clarify the issue. Auction now states;

"patch 100% genuine to jacket , please see pics for all details.Genuine 1942 jacket , a real sleeper.Unfortunately I have no history as to who the original wartime owner was.")

Also appreciate the information re; jacket contract date vs. Doolittle raid date.

dmar836

Great info. Glad it was clarified. Peter this is the perfect type of correction and heads up IMO.
eg, I have an M43 jacket that was from a family of a glider pilot. Supposedly, it was from the "other" uncle killed in the Bulge. Jacket was dated something like May '45 and likely never made it overseas. I casually mentioned it might be from the surviving brother as the date was...... I was quickly interrupted and corrected with the details of the jacket being from the uncle killed in 1944. Didn't argue the point with the family but if I was selling it, I certainly shouldn't quote such a tale. These family tales are passed down all the time. I've found a few in our family history and suspect we all could.
I think such discrepancies must be divulged sooner than later or we will end up with a bunch of unnamed MOH winner's jackets!
Dave

kiltie

You know what, though? I've been looking in on that new Aero thread and reading about how awful and lifeless the smooth leather is/was on some Aero reproductions... Man; just look at the back of this jacket. And good portions of the front, for that matter. And no creasing/folding at the elbows... Geez Louise! How could they stand it?!? I'll bet the wearer was oft accused of having a low end impostor.

*naturally, I too prefer the grainier stuff, but still...kinda funny

269sqnhudson

Peter Graham said:
Andrew, why did you post this ? Are you just trying to stir and cause doubt ? Ok, you've read Gary Eastman's book. Nowhere in this listing does the seller claim that this jacket had any part in the Dolittle raids, just that it's patched to the 17th BG, who took part in the raid. Honestly, have you nothing better to do than flag up ebay sellers who are just trying to make a buck ? Get a life.

Are you feeling alright? :?

Stony

On a related note, I have seen the scarf that Jimmy Doolittle wore on the raid. It was purchased a few years ago for around $2K.

TankBuster

Stony said:
On a related note, I have seen the scarf that Jimmy Doolittle wore on the raid. It was purchased a few years ago for around $2K.

Now that I would love to hear more about and to see it!!!

Roughwear

269sqnhudson said:
Peter Graham said:

I'm feeling 100% fine and it's nearly Christmas!

Peter Graham

269sqnhudson said:
Peter Graham said:

What, you ask me if I'm feeling alright because I have the audacity to challenge the all knowing jacket God ? I'm feeling fine, thank you.

unclegrumpy

Stony said:
On a related note, I have seen the scarf that Jimmy Doolittle wore on the raid.
On a somewhat related note, many years ago I went out on a group date with Jimmy Doolittle's grand daughter.....I asked, but was unable to get anything off of her. :(

Stony

On a somewhat related note, many years ago I went out on a group date with Jimmy Doolittle's grand daughter.....I asked, but was unable to get anything off of her.

Was that memorabilia or something else? ;)

unclegrumpy

Stony said:
Was that memorabilia or something else? ;)
I kind of figured this previously undisclosed personal tidbit would perk up your inquiring mind where you would need to know all the intimate details! That said, I somewhat recall hinting at both, but am sorry to say really did not get anywhere on either count. :(

Part of the problem was I might have been one of the few guys she met back then who really knew who the General actually was. Most probably thought he was the guy that talked to the animals that Rex Harrison played in that 1960's movie. :shock:

I on the other hand, knew exactly who the General was, and remember spending what she probably thought was an inordinate amount of time...like all night...asking questions and talking about him.....and not her. But as you know there was a lot to cover....WW I, Air Racing, the Tokyo Raid, the MoH, the 8th AAF, and so much more! :roll:

Might have squandered an opportunity there, but at least I remember squeezing a few neat stories out of her. :D

269sqnhudson

Roughwear said:
Peter Graham said:
What, you ask me if I'm feeling alright because I have the audacity to challenge the all knowing jacket God ? I'm feeling fine, thank you.

:eek:

Heavens.... :shock: You be careful or you'll get sent to the Headmaster....oh hang on a minute :?