• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wow. What a looker.

B-Man2

the bidding looks like a pissing contest, with one bidder having little feedback. will he-she win? will he -she pay? stay tuned for live coverage from our headquarters in new york.

Am I the only one who thinks that this looks a little suspicious ?
A bidder with only 4 feedbacks going to the wall with one with 238, over an A2 repro that sold new for about 75% of the bidding price.o_O

Last edited:

sammy

It's a beautiful jacket and I was seriously thinking of having a punt on this... not now ! I dread to think what it will sell for if/when there's further bidding at the end of play.

jeremiah

Wow. Yeah. 4 feedback? Surprised they were even permitted to bid. That said I am new here and enjoy the benefit of the doubt I am given so maybe they are legit and new to eBay.

jeremiah

Gone. :(
Man it was a beauty. Somesones happy. Congrats to the winner If they are on here. One day I hope to get something similar.

B-Man2

$1,275 for what could best described as a 2nd tier repro jacket, that originally sold for about $875.00 seems a little extraordinary.
Not knocking the jacket or the maker, but when was the last time anyone saw a Good Wear, Eastman, Aero or for that matter an original go for that price.

jeremiah

:)Show me. I am in. I am looking for a nice one or an original in that size.

Last edited:

Skip

ahh, but it's Victory :cool:

so who ever, just spent $1275 on the hide, everything else included is a bonus and darn cheap at Victory prices...o_O

stanier

$1,275 for what could best described as a 2nd tier repro jacket, that originally sold for about $875.00 seems a little extraordinary.
Not knocking the jacket or the maker, but when was the last time anyone saw a Good Wear, Eastman, Aero or for that matter an original go for that price.

Agree there is a perception that BK is a 2nd tier repro, but I think it’s just that, a perception possibly driven and perpetuated to some extent by some of the historical interaction here with Platon and some frustration over lead times.

The reality I think is that BK is actually in the same league as Goodwear, ELC and Aero. Just look at the pics of this particular jacket, how could it be bettered?

And this was a Victory hide jacket which on the BK website is currently listed as a £1600 jacket option so whoever got this got a deal.

hell, you can land a perfectly wearable size 38 original for that kinda coin....and it wont devalue.

It maybe heresy but an original has almost zero appeal to me. Unless it’s in minty mint condition and it’s cleanliness, robustness and history could be vouched for I wouldn’t want a 75 plus year old jacket which I’d be worried to wear. For me part of the appeal is having a jacket that looks contemporary of its time. That’s just me and we all have our own criteria but I think this BK is a bargain and someone is very lucky.

Smithy

I agree with Stanier. The idea that BK is second tier is plain wrong. A lot of this probably comes from the fact there was a lot of acrimony and a few dust ups about BK due to some of their, shall we say, robust marketing attempts and lengthy wait times at some points.

Whatever you think of how they go about their business they sure as eggs can make a nice looking jacket.

I'm also on the same page as Stanier re originals. I just couldn't bring myself to wear an original as I'm an absolute bastard to my jackets. I just couldn't wear an original the way I like to wear things. I do like and have quite a few bits of militaria but it's all stuff I can't wear, thankfully for it.

Roughwear

The hide is fantastic, with a real vintage appearance. Sadly it is let down by wristlets and waistband which are not of the correct spec.

Dr H

Last edited:

stanier

Sorry I’m now very confused.

The jacket in Ole’s pic shows the stitching for the knits which I’m assuming is the top stitched part, and the BK Roughwear doesn’t have this which I think is correct? I’ll have to look at my Gary Eastman book when I’m home later.

But is there something else wrong with the knit itself as opposed to how their attached?

Roughwear

The BK knits are the ones used on early BK repros. The weave is not correct for wartime examples and they are too thick. Here are the knits on the repro and below originals on a Doniger in my collection.

Ole

Banned
The knits cuffs of the Doniger jacket in your collection have shrunk so much over time in length and thickness that look nothing like they were 75+ years ago.
BK's look close to how original were when issued from what we can all see below. Unless of course you expect them to reproduce the look of your 75+ years old knits.

knit_88f036504ed5895500d9195fdf82bd0d.jpg

Will you stop bashing BK?