• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Won a CWU 36/P

deand

Cost me $82 with free shipping. Couldn't snag it for $40. Bi-swing back though. I wonder just how lightweight these are, comments by others lead me to believe they're like a windbreaker, which is fine, I'd really like something for the milder days ahead.

439042164_o.jpg

439042366_o.jpg

439042789_o.jpg

439042321_o.jpg

439042834_o.jpg

dean

derleicaman

Jacket looks good! Especially for one that's about 30 years old now. The bi-swing back versions are highly desirable.

CWU 36/P is a bit heavier than a windbreaker. There's the outer shell and then the inner lining. Sort of like a nylon A-2. Great for spring/fall. CWU 45/P are great for colder weather, great for winter wear here when it's down in the teens.

Get some cool velcro backed patches to put on it and you're set!

deand

Funny you'd mention a cap, David, ;) I just won this lovely gold leather hunting cap just recently, adding to my flight jacket/cap combo option collection! And thanks, all for your responses in this thread.:

CCEpNgBGkKGrHqQOKjIE0c5ByOq0BNJ9D88Iwg0_3.jpg

Using shots like these for reference for cap/jacket combinations. BTW I know they're not wearing CWUs, but I still think the cap would look okay with the 36P, as well as my other nylon.
cb50d02835f39873_large.jpg

dean

dean

HHjackets

i thought id prefer the cwu-36/p jacket until i got one by centre mfg (mine was from late 70s, yours is from 1980), the bi-swing back kept catching here and there and it would drape funny if it wasn't zipped up and when zipped up it would get hot.
these nylons, though, are the ones to have, for me anyway!
cb50d02835f39873_large.jpg

watchmanjimg

Nice jacket, Dean! I have several of these already and another on the way. As we've discussed, CWU prices can run the full spectrum so I don't think you did too badly as long as you're satisfied with the jacket otherwise. That cap is excellent as well. Congrats!

Regarding fit, I find that the -36 in Large runs a bit longer in the sleeves than MA-1s in the same size. I haven't had enough opportunities to wear mine to decide whether the excess tunneling is objectionable, but it seems to be less of a concern with the earlier bi-swing jackets. I can only speculate that this is due to the need for additional fabric across the back panel to compensate for the reduced freedom of movement inherent in the simplified design, but I haven't had a chance to compare measurements to prove it.

deand

Jim, my observations on pricing on ebay for 36/P's are that Large goes for the most money, XL next, medium/small lowest, not surprisingly, but the pricing in actual dollars is really, really rolller coasting. Mint of course gets the best prices, but $300 or more just seems, well, high. I wonder if the VLJ is driving interest in these jackets reflected in pricing, or is this just part of the natural evolution in cost as the jackets become available over time, becoming more collectable as time passes.

dean

colekwok

deand said:
Jim, my observations on pricing on ebay for 36/P's are that Large goes for the most money, XL next, medium/small lowest, not surprisingly, but the pricing in actual dollars is really, really rolller coasting. Mint of course gets the best prices, but $300 or more just seems, well, high. I wonder if the VLJ is driving interest in these jackets reflected in pricing, or is this just part of the natural evolution in cost as the jackets become available over time, becoming more collectable as time passes.
dean

I actually got myself three 36/P, one is a bi-swing back, the other two are just the more modern ones.
I think they look better than the old MA-1/L-2B unless you are Steve McQueen. For a used one, I won't
pay more than 100bucks for a even a mint one. I remember I only paid $35 for my bi-swing 36/P (M),
at the end of the day, the shipping across the Alantic was more expensive than the jacket itself.....

The 36/P is still the current issued jacket (plus loads of other NATO AFs), I don't think there will be a hike of
the price any time soon. The interesting thing is, there are some new desert colour ones floating around
and the sellers are asking for more than $150-250 at the moment. Just crazy.

Willy McCoy

I like the cut of the 36/P. I am 6'2" and if I get the size Large the sleeves are just right without the body being overly bulky. L-2Bs and MA-1s are a different story altogether.

rich

deand said:
dean

This one went today for about US $67........... slipped quietly away while I wasn't looking.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USAF-Flight-Flyin ... 855wt_1141

Atticus

Prices for Nomex jackets are all over the place on ebay. It seems to me they always have been. In the past couple of years, I've bought two CWU-45/Ps for 99 cents apiece and one CWU-36/P for $9.99. Just last week I bought another CWU-45/P, in excellent condition, for $29.00. I was the only bidder. During the same time period I was seeing other Nomex jackets going for $150.00 and up.

AF

Weasel_Loader

Atticus said:
Prices for Nomex jackets are all over the place on ebay. It seems to me they always have been. In the past couple of years, I've bought two CWU-45/Ps for 99 cents apiece and one CWU-36/P for $9.99. Just last week I bought another CWU-45/P, in excellent condition, for $29.00. I was the only bidder. During the same time period I was seeing other Nomex jackets going for $150.00 and up.

AF

Now THATS all over the place my friend! Great pickings Geoff. Patience does pay off with CWU jackets. ;)

USMC_GAU-21

Dean,

Great pick up. Your Nylon is growing fast....I like it ;)

-36p is a nice everyday wear. Warm yet not overwhelming like the -45p can be. But they are still the 2 jackets I wear daily. Just love them.

Nice hat too by the way!

-enjoy

/r/Gy Dan

deand

USMC_GAU-21 said:
Dean,

Great pick up. Your Nylon is growing fast....I like it ;)

-36p is a nice everyday wear. Warm yet not overwhelming like the -45p can be. But they are still the 2 jackets I wear daily. Just love them.

Nice hat too by the way!

-enjoy

/r/Gy Dan

Thank you, Dan! I still drool over your collection! I showed my wife the pictures you posted of it, and she was awestruck! Hope all is well with you and yours!

dean

Atticus

The CWU-36/P is a great jacket for North Carolina's winter weather in normal years. This year, mine haven't seen much use. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get to break them out closer to spring.

Here I am a few years ago, on Ocracoke Island, wearing the first 36/P I ever bought....from Snicko, or Snikko or Snicker-O or whatever his name was. What was his name? Hell, I'm sure he's still here. Maybe he'll speak up and help me remember.

Dscn0135.jpg

AF

deand

Beside being a great Jeep ad photo, that's a very nice picture! That 36/P sure has a comfortable look to it, not too tight, or too short, as some other nylon can tend to be.

dean

rich

Beside being a great Jeep ad photo, that's a very nice picture! That 36/P sure has a comfortable look to it, not too tight, or too short, as some other nylon can tend to be. dean

Does anyone else find the stated sizes on the CWU-45 and 36 way off? Large (42-44) should be my ideal but is really just that bit too snug. X-large ( 46-48) ought to be massive, but fits just right. I know they're meant to be close fitting, but have I just been unlucky with what I have? (I'm normally good with any 44" jacket) Although the labels state they're OK for either dry cleaning or laundry, is one method more preferable in the long run? Thanks for any advice.

Rutger

rich said:
Beside being a great Jeep ad photo, that's a very nice picture! That 36/P sure has a comfortable look to it, not too tight, or too short, as some other nylon can tend to be. dean

Does anyone else find the stated sizes on the CWU-45 and 36 way off? Large (42-44) should be my ideal but is really just that bit too snug. X-large ( 46-48) ought to be massive, but fits just right. I know they're meant to be close fitting, but have I just been unlucky with what I have? (I'm normally good with any 44" jacket) Although the labels state they're OK for either dry cleaning or laundry, is one method more preferable in the long run? Thanks for any advice.

They're all over the place as for the fit. That's why I have so many of them. Large often turned out to be Medium or X-large.
I actually have one that's Large in the body, but has sleeves that are XL. That's a weird one.
I had one dry cleaned once and will never ever have that done again. There's an elastic band on the back between the outer shell and the liner from shoulder to shoulder, and when I got the jacket back it was constantly pulling my shoulders backwards. Maybe it depends on the strength of the chemicals used?
A search on the forum should come up with lukewarm water and very mild soap somewhere.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rich said:
Does anyone else find the stated sizes on the CWU-45 and 36 way off?

For me the sizing is perfect, spot on ... any Medium, and it's long enough in the sleeves, and the body. With the earlier nylon jackets, I usually need a large ...