• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wingnut has left the building

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
havocpaul said:
.... it sometimes gets a little tedious.

This is true.

Someone asking a few questions about an Eastman he wishes to buy now, is not wanting to be told to save up, and go on the Good Wear waiting list.

And then there's the member that told us 52 times that he had a Good Wear on order ...

jack aranda

I'm amazed that there isn't more on the utility / moto jackets and foreign flight jackets. Is there a separate forum for those that people frequent ?

Funny you should mention this, JACKET_HEAD. I just posted a new thread in the Utility section regarding a jacket I found and bought yesterday. I'm hoping someone here or at FL can help me with some background info on it.

watchmanjimg

I remain intrigued by this thread. Many ideas have been tossed about regarding the cause(s) of the apparent slowdown on VLJ, with Goodwear frenzy being recently cited as a contributing factor. While I'm not sure this is a major reason for the overall reduced activity, I can see where discussion of repro A-2s would be affected because there's only so much you can say about the same thing (even if everything you're saying is good).

The moderators have explained why they have prohibited certain topics of discussion. I respect their decision and will abide by it. I realize it's a pain in the ass to deal with some of the issues that have arisen when disputes form between members, and I'm sure what we've heard about is only the tip of the iceberg. The question that nags me is this: Have we succeeded in culling out the "bad apples," or has the forum simply been restricted to the point where people are simply changing the channel because it's too much bother to figure out what they can and can't say?

John Lever

No one has mentioned the recession yet. With lack of cash, people just don't spend money on jackets the way they did 2 years ago.
Regarding GW some of the threads do get slanted away from the original topic but as the majority of members here are A-2 fans then that's hardly surprising.

Cobblers161

I think it's fair to say that if the older more experienced collectors are finding the appreciation of GW's a little tiresome then really all they have to do is not read the repro section or just skip the GW posts. Simple.

John's right in that the recession has slowed things down and frankly if it wasn't largely for Andrew Roughwear then the Vintage section would be pretty damn quiet in terms of collectors own jackets. It seemes to me that the ones complaining are the ones who should possibly be posting.

I would love to see a gallery on this site dedicated to collectors original jackets, just photos, history and descripition. If another member has a factual contribution then add that but just avoid all the gushing fluff that sometimes accompanies such posts.

If the vintage section needs new blood then it's up to the 'serious' collectors to see to it. They are after all the ones with the jackets people like me are longing to see.

I have to admit that one of the major drawing points to this forum are Marcels endless archival images. Good work fella!

Roughwear

It's got even quieter than usual regarding posts on original flight jackets on the FL. Over there the Aero is God it seems, whilst here for many its Good Wear! :lol:

I think John is correct about the recession. People aren't buying originals in the numbers they did a few years ago. The original Irvin thread on the FL has never been so sleepy.

Personnally I think the current batch of GW jackets are excellent, but they do tend to dominate repro discussions.

Now I'm waiting to see originals from members' collections! :)

havocpaul

Cobblers161 said:
I think it's fair to say that if the older more experienced collectors are finding the appreciation of GW's a little tiresome then really all they have to do is not read the repro section or just skip the GW posts. Simple.

If it was only as simple as that! The point is so many other topics are led to the adulation of and all things GW no matter what the original post started off as..That's what was getting tiresome.

Cobblers161

Even in the vintage thread? I'll have a scour through and see if that's the case.

Isn't the issue that the postings in the vintage section were decreasing?

So in a nutshell it seems that people are blaming the demise of the forum on the adulation of GW's?

Although it's quieter I think the recession is largely to blame. Most of the folk I can think of who left did so because of pedantic behaviour from other forum memnbers.

rich

Roughwear said:
It's got even quieter than usual regarding posts on original flight jackets on the FL. Over there the Aero is God it seems, whilst here for many its Good Wear! :lol:

I think John is correct about the recession. People aren't buying originals in the numbers they did a few years ago. The original Irvin thread on the FL has never been so sleepy.

Personnally I think the current batch of GW jackets are excellent, but they do tend to dominate repro discussions.

There's no originals left Andrew - you got them all! :)

havocpaul

Not forgetting this thread started out as why a member was no more until someone chipped in with the GW word, I don't particularly want to dwell on when, where and why but to reiterate, all roads don't need to lead to GW jackets. I agree the recession is a major factor in there not being too many interesting new aquisitions, I know I am not in a position to buy in the way I could before but there are many posts here that I am interested in whether it be the great range of original photos posted by Marcel, Andrew's ever-changing collection of originals, eBay heads-up posts or future jackets from the repro makers. I myself never looked at 'Life beyond the internet' where apparently the politics were preached/argued/discussed, my blood pressure rises enough just seeing our politicians on TV without it encroaching into my hobby. I have no problem with someone getting excited about there forthcoming/arrived GW, I too am interested in seeing how their products develop but not so it overides any other repro from any other maker whenever they are mentioned.

Cobblers161

I agree.

Maybe it should be politely pointed out to those who extend the boundaries of enthusiam that their posts need to be reigned in a little.

And I sincerely would like to see some shots of folks originals.

Roughwear

rich said:
Roughwear said:

There's no originals left Andrew - you got them all! :)

Rich, you have rumbled me! Seriously though it is much harder these days to find an original which a)is my size b)is an up-grade on an exisiting jacket in my collection c)is one I don't own or haven't owned in the past.

Paul, my collection does change quite a bit. There are many originals which I have had for some time such as the United Sheeplined I bought from you. There are others which I sell to up-grade, which for me is part of the appeal of the hobby.

airfrogusmc

A lot of the serious collectors left the building a long time ago. With a little luck maybe they'll start coming back.

Peter Graham

Cobblers161 said:
So in a nutshell it seems that people are blaming the demise of the forum on the adulation of GW's?
It's not that bad yet. We're still going strong. It's just a little quiet. I'd love to see some Japanese collectors get involved. There must be some amazing collections over there but I guess with English being so alien to their native tounge it would be difficult for them.

Hawkeye

I just find it odd that while the forum population is growing, the numbers actually contributing keep dwindling.