• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wingnut has left the building

Andrew

True, true but I would have to say that personally I have learnt much and enjoyed the posts of many others.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
Come on there's no shame ...

No, I'm not a secret lounger... I just look in to read the posts on boots, and work wear. Too many strange goings on, and the dual posts with VLJ are just weird.

Cobblers161

That's a shame. I'll miss his crazy extremist banter, it served to remind me I was a decent human being.

Seriously though, shame he's gone.

Atticus

I almost hate to broach this subject, but I think that VLJ lost a certian vital spark when we banned political posts. I think that many of the folks who wrote about politics were also some of the same folks who wrote the most about jackets. When those guys began to feel that they could no longer post about what was on their minds...political or otherwise...they sorta began to wander away.

But that's just my humble opinion.

I am now a fairly active member of the Fedora Lounge. I have always liked vintage hats, especially Stetson Open Roads, and the FL is a great place to learn about them. While I'll admit that there isn't much depth of knowledge on FL when it comes to vintage military jackets, nobody here can look into the crown of an Open Road and tell me when it was made....and probably wouldn't want to.

AF

John Lever

Atticus said:
I almost hate to broach this subject, but I think that VLJ lost a certian vital spark when we banned political posts. I think that many of the folks who wrote about politics were also some of the same folks who wrote the most about jackets. When those guys began to feel that they could no longer post about what was on their minds...political or otherwise...they sorta began to wander away.

I am now a fairly active member of the Fedora Lounge. I have always liked vintage hats, especially Stetson Open Roads, and the FL is a great place to learn about them. While I'll admit that there isn't much depth of knowledge on FL when it comes to vintage military jackets, nobody here can look into the crown of an Open Road and tell me when it was made....and probably wouldn't want to.

AF
I agree with the point about political posts to a degree. But I also remember how some other members left because of all the rants which became personal abuse in some cases.
It's a very difficult balance to strike.

Atticus

John Lever said:
I agree with the point about political posts to a degree. But I also remember how some other members left because of all the rants which became personal abuse in some cases.
It's a very difficult balance to strike.

Sadly, I despair that we've now lost both the abused and the abusers.

AF

Vcruiser

Well..I think that when any discussion degrades to the point of a continual declaration of..see..someone's getting personal....look..someone's name calling..reguardless of the subject..something would eventually have to be done. As controversial as politics are these days it doesn't take long to realize that either a Wild Wild West type self moderated subforum perhaps with it's own password would need to be created...or discussion of that subject terminated altogether. Other forums have finally concluded one or the other. I belong to another forum that has setup such a sub forum that is unmoderated..or self moderated. Otherwize...you are on your own. Of course...with that..it is an ongoing argument of "one-up-manship" resulting in little honest debate...going nowhere. Just as everywhere else concerning politics..name calling..and getting personal prevails as "the name of that game". It eventually becomes "a given".
I also belong to the Fedora Lounge. Some topics interest me...others not so much. Like most anywhere there are things to learn and those willing to learn and share.
Van

hacker

Atticus said:

AF

It's another example of the law of unintended consequences .....but then perhaps I'm getting to political......

Hacker

watchmanjimg

I'm sad to see anyone leave VLJ, and I've never been able to understand what real harm ever arose from the various debates we've had on the forum. Those who aren't interested in a particular subject matter can simply refrain from joining the thread, which is what we do anyway under the current rules. I understand that certain individuals engaged in other practices such as inflammatory PMs and the like, which I agree should not be tolerated. However, I believe that most of us are mature enough to discuss whichever topic happens to generate interest without ill effect on ourselves or VLJ--and ignore those who aren't.

A

Anonymous

I 've never seen any fighting in VLJ. Have seen in other forums. Also seen abuse of powers. Hate that. Hate also to see members leaving.

I guess I am not that old around here as never seen political talk. I don't mind it. If there was a special place for that in here somewhere only those interested would see it and write in it...
...and the most active members mentioned earlier in the thread might be still around.

Atticus

Yes...I'm not saying that political posting should be revived on VLJ. Truthfully, I doubt that reviving it would bring anyone back. But politics used to be a fairly big part of this forum. I think that we once had (and perhaps still have) an older, better educated, "maler" membership than do many forums...and old, smart males generally like to talk about politics...when they're not talking about jackets.

AF

watchmanjimg

Agreed, and they generally do so with respect and civility regardless of whether they share the same point of view. Personally I'm in favor of reviving political discussion, if for no other reason to promote the free exchange of ideas among friends.

hacker

It's no secret that Wingnut's removal was driven by one individual.......So Bill gets stuck with the crappy and thankless job of keeping civility among a worldwide network of gentlemen and crackpots all interested in flight jackets. As restrictions are put into place, members on the far ends cease to post...just the way it is. Wingnut can certainly be a bit rough on the edges, he's a big boy now, not much we can do to improve his forum etiquette skills...but he was always helpful to me....went out of his way to travel over to G&B when I needed a few things......rules are rules......be careful for what you ask......you can't please everybody........

Hacker

Swing

Atticus said:
I think that VLJ lost a certian vital spark when we banned political posts.

You're probably right.

I know for me personally, after 10 years on the forums, I'm a bit burnt out/bored with jackets, and spend most of my time here reading about or responding to non-jacket topics.

~Swing