• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Willis & GEiger AN-J-3A in horsehide and red knits

bazelot

I just got this Willis & Geiger AN-J-3A. I had never seen one quite like it before. It is made in horsehide (first Navy jacket I see in horsehide) and it has red knits. It is in great shape and i could have made the leather look brand new with a coat of Pecard but I decided against it to preserve the typical horsehide wear on the leather.

A

Anonymous

There's a member here who has the same with light brown knits and they are original I suppose.

Well, you don't see that every day. That's a pretty cool jacket. Where does it spec out at size-wise? Are you keeping or selling?

Roughwear

I have never seen an AN-J-3A jacket made from horsehide with red knits. Perhaps W&G were low on goat and used horse instead, if it is horse rather than cowhide. Tom, do you think the back of the collar is goatskin?

bazelot

Yes knits are original and it is all horsehide including the back of the collar. I had never seen one before and JC told me of one he has also and I think it is the same contract so it looks like the whole contract was made from horsehide. It looks like it is a pretty rare bird. It is definitely horsehide and not cow.

bazelot

Nothing scientific. JC confirmed it is horsehide (He has the same contract in horsehide as well) and also it does not have the softness of cowhide. It actually feels like a resprayed A-2 (I had at one point a Dubow respray and it looks and feels just the same)

Silver Surfer

interesting, indeed. i have a first contract star g-1 that also has red knits. when i got it, i thought that they were replacements, but, nope, they are original to the jac. upon close examination, it appears that the were originally a reddish brown, but faded to an aero red.