• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Willis and Geiger M444

MikeyB-17

Many of you will be familiar with my howls of agony every time somebody posts pics of their new RMNZ or GW M444 (and no doubt soon there will be ELC examples appearing too). I have wanted an M444 for several years, but the higher end repros are stratospherically beyond my budget. The design always seemed to me an excellent compromise between the lighter designs like the B-6, and the heavier ones like the B-3 and M445. When John Lever advertised this W&G M444 I was unable to resist, as many of you will also be familiar with my whimpers of remorse for selling my Aero B-3 a few years ago, but that sadly-missed jacket will be missed no longer since this arrived.
I believe W&G have been swallowed up by another outfit now, the company actually did manufacture jackets for the USN during the War, although the company that made this probably had very little to do with that original company. Nonetheless I think they had a reasonable if not stellar reputation, and I've always remembered the W&G M445 that Allen had made a few years ago, which always looked really nice to me. Never being able to afford an RMNZ or GW, this was about as close as I'm going to get so I went for it. Arrived on Wednesday and I'm delighted with it.
The sheepskin is beautifully soft and luxurious to the touch, and the goatskin facings are way more flexible and less bulky than the horsehide ones on my old B-3. I used to be a big fan of thick, heavy leather, but for some while I've found that thin, tough and flexible wins hands down in the comfort stakes. It's obviously not the last word in accuracy, the shearling is probably too thick for an M444, there's no pen slot under the pocket, and the zip is a 'brass' repro Conmar, but none of these things bother me one bit. The thicker shearling is warmer, the zip is at least not a modern paperclip style like I've seen on some repros, and I've never once used the pen slot on any Navy jacket I've owned. It has USN in yellow under the collar, and the collar has the correct double thickness section at the front, although as others have stated it's damn near impossible to do the zip up all the way, the collar shearling is too thick. I'm fairly unlikely to do it anyway. It has the Rayon 'football' gussets under the arms inside, and the inner storm cuffs, and is really warm without being uncomfortably hot. It's a size 42 and fits me really well with some room for layers underneath. It's also in really nice condition.
It may not have the workmanship or stitch for stitch accuracy of the higher end makers, but it's warm, comfortable and looks the part, and has finally replaced my old B-3. I now have to offload a couple of jackets to pay for it, bit that's the way it goes!

John Lever

Geir also had a hand in the sale, I persuaded him to sell it back to me as it was intended as a present for a relative. It was too small so I sold it at my purchase price plus some import duty.
I bought the jacket 5/6 years from the states . Aero remade the collar for me and changed the zip.
Mike I think the jacket is better than you rate it. W&G made some nice jackets and they can fetch big money sometimes,over £450 easily.
Possibly the fleece is a little long,but the goatskin is great and the skin so soft.
I am happy you like it and hope that now it has found a permanent home. It looks great on you.

Roughwear

I really like the fit of your M444 jacket Mike. It's just what you need for the cold English winter. Enjoy it. :)

Peter Graham

You did well Mike. It looks great and with the pockets is as practical as any shearling is going to get. Liking the beard too. ;) Wear it in good health mate.

MikeyB-17

I didn't mean to do the jacket down-I only pointed out the inaccuracies out of interest-none of them bothers me at all. Certainly compared to the price of a GW or RMNZ it's in a different league, but still a damn fine jacket and a cut above most shearlings you see on the street. A little light has been shed now I know Aero did the zip-I wasn't aware W&G used repro Conmars, and I recognised it as the sort Aero use. Thanks for the kind words Boys-Peter my missus hates the beard but I've had it so long I don't feel right without it any more. Don't tell her I'm trying to grow the moustache into a handlebar!

airfrogusmc

Looks great!!!

I had one of those W&G from the catalog W&G mid 1990s and I always regretted selling it. Not 100% accurate but really nice. The W&G M444 I had was made by US Authentic and sold as W&G from their catalog.

I still love my USA custom M445.

MikeyB-17

Allen your M445 was the reason I went for this one-I always remembered it and thought it looked really good. I'm delighted with this one, although with the amount of rain we're currently getting I'm not getting to wear it as much as I would like!

airfrogusmc

MikeyB-17 said:
Allen your M445 was the reason I went for this one-I always remembered it and thought it looked really good. I'm delighted with this one, although with the amount of rain we're currently getting I'm not getting to wear it as much as I would like!

It looks great on you. I hope that you get many great years out of it. I wish that I still had my W&G M444. I really do like my M445...Especially this winter.