• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why haven't I gotten any orders.................

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hey forum members in the US , I'm also a leather unit patch maker , and I think I do pretty good at em too, some photos are posted here and there on this site of some I've done, I can also send sample photos if you contact me direct with your e mail .................

I have a vast archive of WW2 USAAF/USN/USMC images to work from , Official and Unofficial types , any 5-6 inch patch of your choice for one price $50.00 total/each (in the US) , don't get much better than that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my only means of income, come on help a fellow artist out , I got 30 years behind me at this, I really enjoy making them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
johnny/Emblemhunter

A

Anonymous

Advertise, I have been around a short while, and do not remember, your work. We need a refresher, shot us some pics.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Have some posted by Marcel of the Forum under this.......................
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7911

Try that please as I am not able to post and have adverted on this site a bit ....................
Johnny
Can also e mail sample photos anyone who e mails me ..................
Johnny

Vcruiser

I think that is the problem. Few photos of your work posted here. Others post periodic samples of their latest creations which greatly helps sales.
Van

EMBLEMHUNTER

Yeah I know , I ahve no way of posting more , I don't have a digital camera, or a scanner etc to do so , Marcel was kind enough todo those loaded for me and that's why there's not more here , I have done thousands of patche sin the 30 years I've been making them , and just finished a batch of various ones ,again no way of posting .................................

Anyone who I could mail a bunch of photos to that would be willing to post them ???????????? They would be actual photos(35 mm) as that's all I have , I have no one around me local that could show me the ropes of the posting/digital camera workings etc ...............
Johnny
I have some on my files that were sent me via one friend/customer that I could e mail to someone who could post them..............

Marcel also has a few new ones I did for him posted here somehwere , I don't recall where those were at , a Watson's Whizzers" and a couple of others, 5th Emergency Rescue Sqd, etc ........................

I also have some posted under jacket patches on the US Militaria Forum , under the "Dealers" forum section, scroll down that page you'll see "Leather unit patches" click that and then sroll down the postings there's a good batch shown there I did just awhile back.

rich

I can see in advance how this might offend you, but please accept that it isn't my intention to do so.
If you need to make sales, here and on other sites or ebay, you are more or less crippling yourself by not embracing the technology at your fingertips. You have to bite the bullet and invest in a decent camera and scanner - they are, these days, comparatively very cheap items. It's madness to let this be an obstacle to your success. The time you spend learning how to use them will be repaid many times over. http://www.photography.com/articles/dig ... nd-photos/

Some, mostly younger people, are right at home in this digital era, but 'migrants' (I know, I was one) often find it all a bit daunting, too much of an uphill struggle. But really, it is not too bad at all - if you can post here, then everything else is well within your grasp, seriously.
Once you know how to do these things, it will soon be second nature and you will, I'm sure, wonder why you ever imagined it might have been difficult.
I've seen your work, and it looks top notch. Someone with your outstanding attention to detail and hand/eye coordination should find clicking and uploading digital pictures the easiest part of the entire process, by far. I don't know about the marketplace for your items or how recession proof it is and so on, but I know if people don't know about your product, they can't buy it............

There's a plethora of books out there which could guide you, I've used this series a lot in the past. There's no shame in being a novice - I've often read school text books to get a handle on new, unfamiliar topics.
http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Online-B ... im_sbs_b_1

All the best Johnny, I really wish you well - you can do it.

Vcruiser

Good post,Rich!
I was one of the old school who stuck with the 35MM late into the game. The new world of computers and digi cameras seemed way too much of a hassle to learn with this old dog. Luckily when I had the chance to retire in 1999..I was offered a 'free' 6 week course on the basics of using a computer..and was even offered a 'free' new computer system with the completion of that course. I reluctanty signed up..and was all thumbs for the first week or so. After bringing the new computor home I learned much more on my own by just by using the thing. It opened many doors.
This all led to the ability to research many things. Just type in key words and open many sites of "the best of" any kind of item..and the many 'reviews' of information to help decide what item to consider purchasing. Now after several computer upgrades things have become much more simple(in most cases).
Comparing digi cameras (on line..and then at the stores)..I new some of the basics of what I wanted in a camera. Telephoto lens..and good close up features for pics of my artwork. After some trial & error downloading photos from these cameras..that too became easy. Even finding sites like 'Photo Bucket' to transfer the pics to certain places ( trying it..taking my time..with a few 'damns') became routine.
Throughout this process even the price of computers and digi cameras has dropped drastically. As with anything else if they include good features..the more simple to use the better. Hell,today,many just take photos with their damn phones. My kids and wife have cell phones(must have!). I don't..can't stand them! 'Old school'...but I catch heat for not getting 'up to date'.
Actually,though, many of these new fangled electronical wonders..really are just that..and do make many things much more convenient.
Van

EMBLEMHUNTER

Thanks guys for the replies , no worries about "offense" none taken , I have the $$$$ that's not a problem, I'm just like mentioned "old School" don't have a cell phone, don't want one, but the digi cam I know I have to eventually get and learn how to use as also the "Know How" to transfer to the PC and load to sites etc , you were Very lucky on the free 6 week course and free PC , that was a deal in itself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 35 mm film in some places here is already getting harder to find, like all the other stuff getting pushed into the past by "progress", it's a good/bad thing at times, I like the regular camera , but I guess once I get a digi I'll probably never miss the old school like mentioned too ...........................................

I thought that at least having some patches shown on the forum would give most an idea of my work, I mean if they can't tell by those I don't see how posting more of the same would make much difference , a patch is a patch is a ...............................

Anyway , thanks again for the advice , have a great day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
johnny

A

Anonymous

A camera would be a big help, the guys here could walk you through getting set up.

Vcruiser

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
I thought that at least having some patches shown on the forum would give most an idea of my work, I mean if they can't tell by those I don't see how posting more of the same would make much difference , a patch is a patch is a ...............................

Trouble is...a rarely posted patch maker photo series gets buried in a thread in short order...and most readers just don't go back searching when other makers continue to update photos of their work from time to time.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Reguardless of when I post other patches , the quality of my work is the same overall , so it's just a matter of the post being seen , a patch is a patch is a patch once you have a set "technique" in how you make them ,but if people think they have to keep seeing new work well, I'm not PC savy to do all the pic loading hoo ha............................

Whatever ...........................................
It looks like to two/three "other" patch guys have this site sewn up in the order category anyway ............................

a2jacketpatches

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Reguardless of when I post other patches , the quality of my work is the same overall , so it's just a matter of the post being seen , a patch is a patch is a patch once you have a set "technique" in how you make them ,but if people think they have to keep seeing new work well, I'm not PC savy to do all the pic loading hoo ha............................

Whatever ...........................................
It looks like to two/three "other" patch guys have this site sewn up in the order category anyway ............................

Johnny, honestly, you don't have to be computer savy, just take an hour or so to learn it. The camera itself will most likely walk you through the initial set up. Once you get it, and learn very little about it, the world is at your finger tips. Ebay will bring a few sales, here on the forum, along with countless other avenues you could explore. The work is as good as I've seen and comparable to most, that's not the problem. There's a lot of guys painting patches these days so quantity is as important as quality. The more you have available and ready for an impulse sale, the better, period. Otherwise, just get in line with all the other guys and wait for a possible order. When I started about 12 years ago selling on Ebay, maybe one or two other guys were doing it and I don't think this forum existed. Next thing ya know, everyone and his brother is painting patches. These days my mission is to do whatever is not being done by others. Maybe adjust your technique to separate from the others, or even use the same technique to do some jacket back art, that's a market that could use a few good men. But most important, get that camera. A hundred bucks and you're in business, make a day of learning it and make it fun.

PaulGT3

That was a great post for you Johnny from Sean. Most people here dont even patch their
jacket and Seans Idea for you to hit Ebay is probably the wisest thing anyone could tell you
at this point along with learning a few computer skills. Dont feel bad because you dont have
the best computer skills in the world. I am an electrical/electronic engineer. I have designed so
many electronics things I couldnt even count 'em, including many many single boards that go INTO
personal computers and laptops. In the old days before the government decided to build the
biggest slowest government entity ever thought of, the network and computer manager groups around
2000, I built probably 100 or so of my own desktops from the CPU to the power supply, ram,
mother board, video board, case, keyboard display etc etc etc, and I STILL need my teenager to
help me install this software or that driver or whatever it is that they pick up through osmosis.
SO take a few hours and learn those computer skills you need. Its not that hard or time consuming.

EMBLEMHUNTER

I need some 10-12 year old kid to show me this stuff, I can pick it up fairly quick "when shown" how to do it, reading about I'm totally lost , E bay has too many pitfalls, I;ve seen stories on this site and a few others how they got ripped off, and you have to ask more than what you want to clear your price seeing as they take their chunk for listings etc .

I can make just about any WW2 flying unit patch , many that aren't even seen on the net of the "Unofficial" types, my archive is in the thousands of designs, both "approved" and Unofficial, and of the USAAF/USN/USMC , I haven't seen any of the ones I have much on anyones sites so far , and I keep a "flat rate" price on my patches reguardless of what the unit is, a lot of others charge way more than I do and don't offer as many of the "rarer" ones I can make .

I think what it is, is that I came in late into this field and most see the newly listed ones as they keep posting and as mentioned that cuts me out of the loop.

I'll just have to try and find someone that can get me "caught up" Tech wise , progress is good in some ways and a pain in others ....
Johnny

a2jacketpatches

Many years ago when the only camera available was about a single mega pixel, I took the time to learn 35mm and all the considerations needed for different applications. I was using slide film because of the high resolution and then having prints made from that. Much more costly, time consuming, and problematic than digital cameras. So I know you have the potential if you'd only listen to what everyone is telling you.

Plug that camera into the USB port, and it will tell you what to do. When you get that done, PM me, I'll give you my phone# and I'll walk you right through finding the picture files, loading to photobucket, and then posting here. Ebay is a little different but much easier. Ebay charges a fee yes, but they actually deserve it because the exposure and convenience you get in return is found nowhere else, like having a storefront to the world and well worth paying 5 bucks out of 50- And another plus to that is you only pay when you sell aside from the fifty cents for the listing. End of story. I say this in the most candid and friendly way possible Johnny, get off your butt and buy a camera. I've been using 100- Kodak easyshares since I started Ebay in 2000, I can literally capture a clear shot of the hair on the azz of a housefly with it.

There it is Johnny, sound advice and I'll help you through it. if you can still find reasons to not move forward on this, I give up.

Skip

Just give it a go Johnny, nothing ventured nothing gained, plenty of guys here willing to help, where else would you get that.

On the camera angle, what Sean is saying is 100% correct. Just one hour with a digital camera and you wont believe how quick you start picking it up. I'm a photographer and was reluctant to change to digital, thinking it would be all too much to start again, but I made the move proper 8 years ago and wonder why I didn't do it sooner, it's so much easier to shoot and use, and todays point and shoots have so much lattitude and ability that you can leave it on auto and still get excellent results. Not to mention heaps cheaper to run, and you are in control.

Its a big step but, one you wont regret, and with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

PaulGT3

Doesnt get any better than when a competitor helps you get set up!! But then again thats what this forum
is all about.