• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why buy a G1,55J14,Repo.

1911A1US

The prices on the re issue G1 type`s ELC,Aero,etc,are quit expensive,I have seen quite a few wonderful originals out there for a lot less.I purchased an early Foster 55j14 for 200.00 not long ago,wonderful in all respects.....A forum member has a Monarch on the site for under 500.00!Maybe some just have to have new,that`s ok.

zoomer

Lemme guess...you're a relatively slender guy. Up thru size 42, maybe 44, there are bargains in originals. After that the supply is scarce and the price gap closes.

As a size 46 in Navy jackets, my choice was a used repro - especially since I wanted WW2 details, color and cut. I found an Aero AN-6552 at $425 and am quite satisfied with it.

AN6552-large.jpg

(Aero's own pic - mine has a rust brown collar)

navvet

Some browsing at flea markets or thrift stores might turn up a real used G1 for under $100. A friend of mine has one such bargain and it had only moderate wear on it.

endwahl

Hello, I am the idiot who keeps buying up all the size 48 G-1's on eBay.

My experience there is that certain items just don't seem to stabilize price wise. I also stalk eBay for Minox cameras and find that European sellers tend to set much higher reserves and BINs for Minox cameras then US sellers do.

With G-1s, most seem to be from the 70s and 80s, and they can be had quite inexpensively so long as they are not patched. OTOH the patched jackets command premiums. What is truly weird to me is how I paid twice the amount I paid for an Imperial Leather G-1 from the 70's in excellent shape, for a 2001 made Excelled G-1 with the Philly Supply ctr label.

OTOH some ppl just want a quality jacket made for them, esp. if they want a custom size, in which case it may very well be worth paying the extra premium to our friends in El Cajon. I certainly could not see buying a new G-1 from anyone else, though one of my five G-1's is an Avirex I bought at the Intrepid museum.