• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which tanker jacket?

A

Anonymous

I noticed that the real mc coys tanker jacket has a slim fit.
Anyone owns this jacket? can confirm this?

Also, I own an 'at the front' jacket. He claims that has copied original patterns but this is the baggier jacket I ever had (reminds me of the 80s). When I told him that period photos show slim fit jacket, he said that soldiers tend to be wearing one size smaller and said I should buy one size smaller. I doubt that because, the sleeves which are already on the short side would be ever shorter in the smaller size. (my arms are normal, not long).

I want to replace this jacket, so wonder if any of you guys could recommend any other maker.
Please speak only if you own the jacket you wish to recommend.

What do you think about the spearhead?

thanks you guys,

Tim P

there are lots to choose from, Great things are told of the high budget buzz rickson offering. maybe a ww2 impressions one although some find them a little green. Spearhead would be a cheaper option. How good they are I cant say.

CBI

I bought an ATF Tanker and yes, the sizing is off. You need to buy one size down. There sizing chart is messed up! This is what I did (size down) and the fit is excellent.

A

Anonymous

Size down OK, but what about sleeve lentgh?

Also, did you buy the 1st version or 2nd (new) version of their jacket?

CBI

I am a 44 regular, regular length sleeve, no problem with the smaller. I actually washed and dried the medium size and it shrank a little and it still fits perfectly!

johnwayne

Gotta say Im really pleased with my Buzz!
I'm a reg 42" (ELC sizing or 44" Goodwear) and went for one on ebay 44" - missed out and was quite peeved I must say then got a 42" also off the 'bay at a better price and have to say I was well chuffed!!
It's great quality and nice finish all round - if I was critical it could be a little longer maybe but thats personal preference and at 6' tall poss not surprising -Im guessing they only come one length. Pretty warm with the blanket lining so great this time of year!!!

cheers
Wayne

asiamiles

johnwayne said:
It's great quality and nice finish all round - if I was critical it could be a little longer maybe but thats personal preference
I think it's more the design of the times. Tankers are cut short...generally a bit too short for me. But they don't look short when seen in period photos or films when much higher-waisted trousers were worn. In fact they can often look quite long as I've seen GI's wear their belts over the top of them!!* I wonder if they were originally issued to size (ie. to be worn over a regular shirt) or loose to allow for layering?

*De Niro's Tanker (a civi, if RM's repro with the quilted lining is accurate) in TAXI DRIVER also looks long.

asiamiles

Willy McCoy said:
I am quite sure a real one would be most authentic and probably less money than a high end reproduction jacket.
I doubt you'd get an original good condition Tanker for a couple hundred dollars these days.