• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which paint to use?

FlyingToastman

Ok gents,

I am in the process of coming up with the final sketch to use to transfer the design - my question for you all is which paint line (or system to use). I have my artist quality acryllics (Utrechs, Windsor Newton, Rembrant) but I've also read that some of you all have used Model RR paint with some success but which line and can it be had with an acryillc polymer as the vehicle?

Christos

CBI

Testors enamel model paints - flat paints. Stay away from acryillics as it rarely looks like 1940's paint. I think most jacket painters use acryillics but its just not convincing. Try experiemnting with some test scraps of leather (from Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc. you will see the difference). Usually acryillics looks "plasticy" "rubbery" and frequenlty, the colors are off (even with mixing) I have had no problems with the enamels not staying on the jacket. Yes, if you take a painted area and pintch it real tight, it will crack but enamels are what was used back in the day. When finished you can use a water based flat coat sealer, applied with a brush over the painted area for protection.

Andrew

Great idea CBI and I agree on the acrylics, although can these enamels be blended successfully?

CBI

One Shot paint has been around since the late 40's and is GREAT however its VERY toxic and frankly, makes me a little sick using it. You will need a mask and lots of open air. Too toxic for me for close up detail work BUT yes a good suggestion in regards authenticity

FlyingToastman

CBI said:
One Shot paint has been around since the late 40's and is GREAT however its VERY toxic and frankly, makes me a little sick using it. You will need a mask and lots of open air. Too toxic for me for close up detail work BUT yes a good suggestion in regards authenticity

Well I stopped by the other building at work and I saw Testors makes an acrylic version of their paints and I was looking at the enamel for the modeler's kits. I made a set of 2lt bars using my artist acrylics and they came out well so I am willing to try the enamel and see how it goes. If I get lucky I'll have the nose art done by the end of the month.

Christos