• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which mark ? Poll

Which do you prefer AFF or decal

• AAF

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Star decal

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • None

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

Anonymous

So which one do you prefer?
A or B? i.e. the "AAF" or the winged star?

And why? I am really curious.

A
img58173398.jpg

B
img0048ry.jpg

ghq1

A . . .

because the AAF looks more like an in theater mod (from an aircraft stencil set)

USAAC would be cool too

jack aranda

I like B. To my eye it looks more elegant, less strictly utilitarian. In B, I can imagine a person picking up the stamp used to make the mark, spreading the fabric smooth, fingers and thumb spread wide, and, then, placing the stamp firmly on taut fabric, perhaps standing back to see for sure it was a clean transfer. Version A, by contrast could have been done by the grandfather of a modern-day tagger--simply holding the spray can upright over a template carelessly placed on the lining, push the button, and, "Next!". This is completely irrational, I know; I hope no one takes me to much to task over this flight of interpretive fancy. But, you asked, PLATON. B carries with it in its winged emblem an element of style, of deliberate design that compliments the jacket, says, "Yes, this was made with care." (Though I know in wartime the jackets may well not have been made with the care that you or other top repro makers invest in your jackets).

Dr H

Just my ignorance, but was B available at the time that the contract was being produced?

RCSignals

Dr H said:
Just my ignorance, but was B available at the time that the contract was being produced?

Roughwear said:
Neither, because you rarely see them on the lining of original A2s.

That above is what I was thinking. When was the winged star stamp adopted? From the beginning or later. Was it manufacturer applied or 'depot' applied like the sleeve decal?

I would think an inspector stamp may often have been the only thing used on an original. Anyone know for sure?

Platon maybe these could be offered as options, the standard being none?

DJS48

I have only two original A-2's. Neither have an AAF decal applied to the shoulder or a winged star stamped on the lining therefore more "accurate" to me. Additionally, I have three GW A-2's of which two were bought from forum members and have the winged star stamp and one I ordered directly from GW, without the winged star upon my request.

Cheers,
Don

Dr H

Not for me - looks naff, whether accurate or not...
My departed Perry 23377 depot redye had a small white winged star on the 3-part windflap.
The winged stamp to the lining was faded black.