• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Gibson & Barnes? - updated

CSG

Talked to them today and am getting leather samples for all their historic jackets as well as current G1. It seems as though their historic A2's don't have some of the darker, richer colors I've seen on the GW, Aero, and Eastman jackets. From the catalog and videos, the colors look a bit flat.

I love the G1 and earlier 422A jackets as well as the A2's and may end up buying one of each. My question for you guys is which one/s and why? Also, if you have some photos of yours I'd love to see them.

I was interested that Travis from G&B told me that their current G1 is purchased by the Blue Angels even though it's not the current issue jacket. He said they have lots of military sales just not any military contracts. The Blue Angels were here this weekend and I saw both demonstrations performances as well as their practices above our pasture (I'm in Twin Falls, ID). Talk about Sierra Hotel!

jschare

Re: Which Gibson & Barnes?

I just received the G&B Historical Horsehide A-2 in russet and I love it. It isn't overly dark nor is it too light. Sorry about the fuzzy photos...

Jeff

S7300518.JPG

S7300519.JPG

S7300520.JPG

S7300522.JPG

S7300524.JPG

S7300525.JPG

S7300526.JPG

S7300527.JPG

S7300528.JPG

One of each is a great idea! I love all of my Gibson & Barnes jackets!

43890466_2DvDE-M-1.jpg

MK43

339789915_U8ux7-M.jpg

MK31

122351575_yb5Ku-M.jpg

M422a

125471568_wiyRN-M.jpg

ANJ-3

145401394_eCGmb-M.jpg

F-82

100178193_wvoqZ-M.jpg

Air Force A-2 in black goatskin

CSG

Thanks guys.

Bill, if those colors are accurate on my monitor, they look great!

A

Anonymous

I have several G/B jackets. Love them all. Sorry no cam for pics. I like my historical goat A-2 the best. It looks the most ww2 IMHO.

A

Anonymous

Forget the jackets, give me the guns.

Chandler

sealbeachbum said:

I was going to say something similar -- and why not? If you can pull it off!

Nice Winchester -- original or replica?

Chandler

airfrogusmc

Yep they do make a very respectable repro. Their 422a is very nice as are all of their A-2s.

Chandler said:
sealbeachbum said:

I was going to say something similar -- and why not? If you can pull it off!

Nice Winchester -- original or replica?

Chandler
That's a replica 1866. I have a real 1873 locked up in my safe....

229344061_H2cWi-L.jpg

The real one!

airfrogusmc

I've tossed around the idea of picking one up for a few years now. The goat is really nice and breaks in beautifully. The older I get the more I like G&B.

Robman

I love my G&B stuff too. The mahogany HH is a super color, it photos much darker than it is. It has a nice chocolate shade to it, not overly dark.

I also have a russet veg.-tanned goatskin that's equally as good. The color, texture and grain, feel, ect. is very close to a WW2 RW or Perry.

On me the FS just look right.

CSG

Got the samples today and am generally impressed with the quality. I noticed that the russet HH and mahogany HH were quite different from each other, both in graining and weight. I also got the veg tanned goat and seal and dark seal goat. All the samples were the same approximate weight except for the mahogany HH which feel about twice as thick and much more stiff.

Jeremy at G&B said there's variance in the weighting but was surprised the the russet HH had a fair amount of graining. It's not goat that was mislabeled or anything. Anyway, it made me wonder about their leather consistency. Colors are great!

I'm guessing I'm going to get an historic A2 and either the 422a or G1. One doesn't look like it will be enough. ;)

rafsta

jschare said:
I just received the G&B Historical Horsehide A-2 in russet and I love it. It isn't overly dark nor is it too light. Sorry about the fuzzy photos...

Jeff

S7300518.JPG

S7300519.JPG

S7300520.JPG

S7300522.JPG

S7300524.JPG

S7300525.JPG

S7300526.JPG

S7300527.JPG

S7300528.JPG
Jeff we are lookin forward to see YOU wearing the jacket,
great pictures, thx
I had once G&B goatskin seal brown A-2, rather heavy, and I gave it to my friend. I didn't like it. Is your one weighty too?
Second Q is: Is your cuffs are made of 100% wool? (becouse mine were not)
And the zipper is? YKK? :shock:

Chandler

rafsta said:
I had once G&B goatskin seal brown A-2, rather heavy
Second Q is: Is your cuffs are made of 100% wool? (becouse mine were not)
And the zipper is? YKK? :shock:

First Q: How old was your G&B goatskin? Because my older one is probably the thinnest feeling hide of my 3 jackets (one horse, one steer, one goat).

Second: No wool knits? My goat has them and a G&B horse I owned for a while also did.

Lastly: G&B is one of the companies out there that doesn't pour over *exacting* details like zips, at least they're nickel. G&B isn't out to be the repro-king of vintage FJs, maybe that helps keep their costs down, but their pieces are good jackets for those not so angstful over details most people wouldn't notice.

Chandler

I like the YKKs for practicality. They are totally bullet proof. Every time a zipper breaks on me (they all do eventually) I always replace it with a YKK. It's the last zipper I'll ever have to replace. I've never had one fail on me yet.