• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which G-1

A

Anonymous

Out of the many G-1 contracts out there, I wonder which one is considered to be the most beautifully made and highly sought after by collectors.

What are the qualities that collectors and jacket enthusiasts look for in a G-1 ?

Any ideas?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
PLATON said:
Out of the many G-1 contracts out there, I wonder which one is considered to be the most beautifully made and highly sought after by collectors?

I looked at John's CD for you ... if you're including the early jackets, a M-422A by Gordon & Ferguson, or Edmund T. Church.

... or the related Burjac Sportswear 55J14.

dadgad

M-422A are fascinating but I've personally always found them a bit too long for that kind of pattern;
55J14 or early MIL-J-7823 with narrow zipper would be my personal choice.

As far as manufacturer goes, the rarest of them all are probably BREIER OF AMSTERDAM, INC. and J.A.DUBOW SPORTING GOODS CORP. but other members will probably correct me about this point.

A

Anonymous

I also appreciate the M-422's, they are very good
but my question was referring to G-1's only

RCSignals

I'd say choose one no one else reproduces. Perhaps one of the desirable ones from first introduction, the '50s or early '60s.
Apparently California Sportswear had a small contract that is desirable. My personal preference would be for one with the scalloped pocket flaps, and no USN punched windflap.

Jason

Not that I've seen many samples, but I absolutely love the quality of my Irvin B Foster 7823B G-1. The other maker of the time, Ralph Edwards has a highly respected name too, some say even better than the Fosters. Plus they're often affordable too, though absolute mint condition examples always command a premuim.

CBI

California Sportswear would be the way to go. They only had a contract for one year - 1960. The goatskin looks to have slightly less black/grey color so its a slightly nicer seal brown color. The cut is also the most roomy of all the G-1 contracts and a good sleeve length. There only downside was a slightly problem prone zipper. My favorite G-1 contract, I own one and had owned a second for a while.

Silver Surfer

55j14 [aer] star, the 1950 contract, of which there were two for 1950. they are well made, properly proportioned, have top quality hides, and have carry over characteristics from the m-422 , and anj series. deep scalloped pocket flaps, usn painted on the collar, no usn stamp through the wind flap, most have a deep cognac colored mouton, which often fades to a honey color. examples [of which i have a beater, and a minty] can still be found, but are some what uncommon. interestingly, my minty still has dark unmolested hides, but the collar has turned to that honey color. also, the knits [original] have faded to a very reddish brown, very much like a mid contract aero.

Marv

Silver Surfer said:
most have a deep cognac colored mouton, which often fades to a honey color. examples [of which i have a beater, and a minty] can still be found, but are some what uncommon. interestingly, my minty still has dark unmolested hides, but the collar has turned to that honey color.

the same has happened to the mouton collar on my 1968 Martin Lane Co. G1, turned a nice honey colour and you can still the difference between the shading on the mouton which has been inside against the neck and the outer part which has been exposed to the elements.