• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which company really offers the BEST quality?

Cobblers161

My problem with the Eastman was the collar, it was the RW 27752 and it just doesn't look or feel right. On top of that there was the size which for a 42" was bordering on rent-a-tent. Similarly having seen a 50 Cal, the knits were way too bright and again the jacket overly blousy.

I've yet to see a decent hide on an eastman but then I have seen only a few and I would not rule out owning another I just have a preference, albeit a strong one. I like the look of the 1401-P so will hopefully get a closer look at Duxford.

The chemical smell on Johns Horween seal is temporary, mine went after a couple of months. I must add I'm not basing my opinion on authenticity but on feel.

A

Anonymous

ties70 said:
ChristianM. said:
DUBOWA2 said:
For A-2 type jackets I would say Noble house Germany.

All the best Jeff

Nice to hear about Noble House.
But are you really sure they can compete with Aero, ELC etc.?
Because of their low prices i can´t imagine the quality is as good.

Hallo Christian,

willkommen an Bord!

Jeff was just kidding you (hopefully :D ), Noble House is ....well, do you know "Pulp Fiction"? It's not the same stadium, not the same league, not even the same game as the other high quality makers...

Ties
Yes I was just kidding ,I replied this way because they say it this way on the selling page .But the actual product is very iffy to say the least and surprising that such a jacket would come from Germany .

Roughwear

Cobblers161 said:
My problem with the Eastman was the collar, it was the RW 27752 and it just doesn't look or feel right. On top of that there was the size which for a 42" was bordering on rent-a-tent. Similarly having seen a 50 Cal, the knits were way too bright and again the jacket overly blousy.

I've yet to see a decent hide on an eastman but then I have seen only a few and I would not rule out owning another I just have a preference, albeit a strong one. I like the look of the 1401-P so will hopefully get a closer look at Duxford.

The chemical smell on Johns Horween seal is temporary, mine went after a couple of months. I must add I'm not basing my opinion on authenticity but on feel.

Thanks for your opinion here about ELC, which I don't share. I was not talking about authenticity, but quality which is the title of this thread. For 100% authenticity it has to be originals all the way! IMO.

fishmeok

I think there really is very little difference in overall quality between Eastman, Aero, and Goodwear, ( I cannot comment on other makers- have not personally examined their jackets) they are all run by people who are passionate about what they do and really care about the product. The differentiator is the jacket itself, the style, and the hide. John makes the best repro A-2's I have seen, (I am admittedly biased towards Goodwear, they have been a tremendous help in my own jacketmaking efforts) and I am very impressed with how willing Aero is to try custom jackets and new styles.

Hides are subjective (and a bitch to source) but I think others have covered that better than I can.

In the end it all comes down to the user- what are you looking for in a jacket? None of the above will disappoint.
Cheers
Mark

CBI

I think John's new horsehide changes the landscape even more. I would give GW the nod on all levels.

Vcruiser

ChristianM. said:
shiloh said:
John Lever said:
For sheepskins I would say RMNZ
For FQHH Aero.

My apologizes for not knowing certain things about A-2 jackets and productions...but what is FQHH :( :( .

Thanks,

Shiloh
hihi, one of my first posts here and i can explain something...

Front Quarter Horse Hide supplied by Horween / California

Almost......Horween/Chicago..for Aero... ;)
Van

greyhound52

Ok sitting in my closet right now is GW, Aero, The Few, Buzz Rickson, and until recently a RMNZ all A2s. My vote right now would go to the The Few, then BR/GW. The HH on the Few jacket is unreal the best I have seen. Now GW's new HH from Japan (from the samples I have seen) is going to give BR and The Few a run for the money. I am getting a new HH GW so it should be interesting to compare with the Few jacket. Having owned every ELC but a Werber I found, while the quality is great, the jacket lacked character IMO. Most accurate jacket is going to be the GW there is no one that makes a more accurate repro. I think the ELC A-1 I have is outstanding and a great repro of an A-1. I really like my Aero D-1 which I think is a great jacket. Perhaps I have an unique view as I have owned jackets from all of the major makers (with the exception of LW though I have tried their jackets on).

Grant

All of the top repro makers make good "quality" jackets but if you want the most accurate reproduction A-2 made today Good Wear is at the tops the list. Originally I was a critic of a lot of John's early jackets but every day he continues to make improvements to the hides, knits, labels and patterns he uses and is always trying to better himself. What truly sets himself above the others is that he patterns his jackets as closely as possible to the individual maker jackets. No one else comes close. Now that I own one of John's Rough Wear A-2's I geek out and see all the nuances of that maker's jacket are faithfully reproduced in his jacket - and it's clear how far off the other repro makers are when it comes to this particular maker. It's scary how his sz. 42 Dubow fits exactly the same as my originals.

What really blows my mind is that Good Wear is a one man operation and has only been in business a couple years and seeing how much he's accomplished. All the others have been around for years and have catching up to do.

BTW, if you want a "quality" made jacket stay away from originals. Long time collectors will tell you they're some of the most shitty made jackets out there.

Dr H

Grant said:
BTW, if you want a "quality" made jacket stay away from originals. Long time collectors will tell you they're some of the most shitty made jackets out there.

I agree with your comments about the GW operation/achievement Grant - I don't have the collecting experience to really assess the latter, but that's some paradox going on there, isn't it :?

Roughwear

Dr H said:
Grant said:

I agree with your comments about the GW operation/achievement Grant - I don't have the collecting experience to really assess the latter, but that's some paradox going on there, isn't it :?

It's great to hear about the quality of John's latest A2s. His new hh looks awesome. The quality of originals varies enormously and there are some excellent, well made, robust originals around. There are are also some which are not so well made, perhaps the work of less skilled people and others made from inferior quality leather or sheepskin.

DJS48

I recently received a GW Dubow 27798, Vermont Espresso HH. I am to quote, "geeked out" over this jacket. I have 2 ELC A-2's: Cable and an old House, an RMNZ Monarch A-2 and an Aero 15142. They are all of a high quality. However, for me the details of the GW surpass the others.
Regards,
Don

Pete17

I can't comment on the others but I am extremely impressed with the quality and customer service from ELC.
Simply outstanding.

aurang

I have no idea who is making the best reproductions, but I know John at Goodwear is making the only current production A-2's.

Goodwears are the only modern A-2's that fit and wear like an original. If you like how original A-2's are cut, John is the last guy left with the audacity to make a few different versions of the USAAF's wonderful, horrible leather windbreaker. If you want a rough looking, mismatched jacket with paper thin leather that still looks and fits better than any leather jacket ever sold in a department store since the beginning of time, Goodwear makes them. Jackets from other brands always looked so immaculate, I'd baby them, but not a GW, that sucker gets tossed across the room, it gets oil stains, it goes anywhere and it just looks better for it.

I stopped buying jackets after I got my GW Dubow and until I trash it beyond the point of no repair, I'll have no need for another A-2.

Roughwear

aurang said:
I have no idea who is making the best reproductions, but I know John at Goodwear is making the only current production A-2's.

Goodwears are the only modern A-2's that fit and wear like an original. If you like how original A-2's are cut, John is the last guy left with the audacity to make a few different versions of the USAAF's wonderful, horrible leather windbreaker. If you want a rough looking, mismatched jacket with paper thin leather that still looks and fits better than any leather jacket ever sold in a department store since the beginning of time, Goodwear makes them. Jackets from other brands always looked so immaculate, I'd baby them, but not a GW, that sucker gets tossed across the room, it gets oil stains, it goes anywhere and it just looks better for it.

I stopped buying jackets after I got my GW Dubow and until I trash it beyond the point of no repair, I'll have no need for another A-2.

Several makers produce high quality repro A2s. John's are among the very best, but Eastman, Aero and various Japnese makers should not be discounted in terms of quality. Of course the ultimate A2 is an original from one of the premier wartime makers, such as Doniger, Dubow, or Rough Wear! :lol:

jack aranda

I'm going to go back up this thread to June 17 to fishmeok and his post. The civil A-2 I bought from Mark last winter is as fine a leather jacket as I have ever worn--materials; workmanship; feel; look. It is an exceptional jacket. I know Mark's are 'one-offs', not reproducible for a wide market, but, he does turn out several jackets a year, always trying new patterns. And, his prices are embarasssingly reasonable. So, Christian, add another name to this pot for consideration.

I have Aeros and a GW in the closet, and I'd love to own a The Few (that looks odd), so I'm not taking anything away from the pros, but, fishme, well, dat mon, he make some domn fine leatha, dot mon. :D

Clark J

Well here's my 2 cents...I have owned ELCs,2 1401s,1 27752 & 1 Monarch(loved one-liked the other one except for the collar,hated the 27752,The Monarch is OK).Owned 2 McCoys,1 RW that I got from JC...I wish I had that one back!!The other one was an F":N joke!!Have and still do own a GW Dub goat,LOVE IT!!!ALL that being said I think they're all good but JCs I like the best.I have been to Jeff Ks a few times and looked and held his GREAT collection of A-2s and I've got to say originals are all over the board for color and most are real thin HH(Aeros are thicker)and all are made pretty crappy and even made different within the same company!
I think it's a Chevy vs Ford deal here on VLJ...some guys are die hard brand lovers and you ain't going to change their minds.I just wish JC would hire some workers so he could pump out more jackets!!!! And G hound are you out of your closet yet????