• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which A-2 contract is the trimmest fitting?

B-Man2

Ian

In my opinion one of the trimmer jackets would be the 1939 Werber. Its full cut in the shoulder area but it narrows in the body and waist area.

Regards
B-Man2

CBI

I agree about the Werber. The "no-name" by Knopf is another nice one however beware of the high waist line. Looks cool though!

EmergencyIan

You know, I was looking through the Good Wear site last night and thought the 1939 Werber looked pretty darn trim through the torso. I didn't see the "no-name" Knopf, but it looks great as well. A very trim fit.

- Ian

Roughwear

Regarding Wartime contracts, the Monarch is a trim fit. There tagged sizes are always at least one size smaller in reality than most other makers. I own an original no name Knopf A2 and find it has quite an athletic fit, with broad shoulders. However mine is most likely a 46 and fits like a wartime 44. John's description of this contract on his site is spot on.

Roughwear

I would agree. All the size 42 jackets I have handled from the 27798 contract are a size smaller than most 42s from other makers. They are narrow across the back and fit like a wartime 40. You rarely see larger jackets from this contract. I would love a decent 44.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
All the size 42 jackets I have handled from the 27798 contract are a size smaller than most 42s from other makers. They are narrow across the back and fit like a wartime 40.

So they are actually narrower, Andrew? I know that the back measurent is narrow, but I assumed that this was compensated for by the fullness in the upper arms.

Either way, I like the fit of the Dubow pattern ... comfortable, with square shoulders.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
David the shoulder measurement is normally around 17" whilst on many other makes it is 18" to 19".

Thanks Andrew ... yes, I knew that.

So they are actually narrower, Andrew? I know that the back measurent is narrow, but I assumed that this was compensated for by the fullness in the upper arms.

I'm asking as the pattern fits well on me, and although the back measurent in isolation is narrow, it doesn't look, or feel tight.

dadgad

deeb7 said:
Roughwear said:
David the shoulder measurement is normally around 17" whilst on many other makes it is 18" to 19".

Thanks Andrew ... yes, I knew that.

I'm asking as the pattern fits well on me, and although the back measurent in isolation is narrow, it doesn't look, or feel tight.

To add a note, the original Dubow that I'm selling on the bay is labeled 42 and has basically all the measurements of a 40 but the shoulders are a good 1" or 1 1/2" narrower than any other 40 that I tried so far, they are most likely in the 38 range and that's why I'm selling it.
I would have kept it otherwise because is the A2 pattern that I like most.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dadgad said:
To add a note, the original Dubow that I'm selling on the bay is labeled 42 and has basically all the measurements of a 40 ...

I noticed that, the 17" shoulder is typical, but the chest measurement at 21" is tighter than most ... usually a size 42 Dubow will be closer to 22".

Roughwear

David you are spot on here. All the size 42 Dubow's I have owned have been around 22" pit to pit. Also the sleeves are on the short side and they do not fit me. The size 44 I used to own was a much more generous fit, but to find a decent original size 44 Dubow is very hard.

A

Anonymous

The problem is that all jackets look the same on John (Chapman).
I guess it's because of the big size (46) it's not easy to tell the difference. Maybe I am wrong.

I wish there was a showroom where I could go, try on everything and buy the trimmest fit.
Fyi BK is trim and has narrow sleeves if you guys like that.

EmergencyIan

PLATON said:
The problem is that all jackets look the same on John (Chapman).
I guess it's because of the big size (46) it's not easy to tell the difference. Maybe I am wrong.

I wish there was a showroom where I could go, try on everything and buy the trimmest fit.
Fyi BK is trim and has narrow sleeves if you guys like that.

I tend to disagree in regard to all jackets looking the same on John. I could certainly tell that the 1939 Werber was considerably trimmer fitting than most all of the other A-2 contract jackets that he makes. I realized that it was a trim fitting A-2 before I began this thread (right before I started the thread I was looking through Good Wear's site). So, that got me wondering which A-2 contract is the trimmest fitting. :)

- Ian