• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to Get Leather Insignia Sewn on Jackets?

GyreneGreen

I just dropped off one of my Buzz Rickson B-15s at the cobbler to have a leather patch and name plate added. In the past I've had a cobbler replace a leather nameplate without any issues, but the squadron patch was cloth and so my seamstress sewed it on.

When I dropped off the jacket the cobbler pointed out that the interior lining of the jacket would have to be opened up or the inside pocket would be sewn shut. I hadn't considered that, and after 15 minutes he pointed out that he may be able to open the interior pocket lining and sew the patch on that way. I told him that if he opens up the pocket and cannot get the job done that he needs to call me, because I will take the jacket somewhere else to be sewn.

Is there anyone on this board who can professionally sew leather insignia onto a flight jacket? It isn't a great feeling to hand off a $500+ jacket and be unsure if it will be returned mangled or the insignia incorrectly applied. In this case I actually traced out the white outlines of where the patches should go and gave him a photo showing how the patch should be oriented. A photo below shows the chalked out lines.
IMG_8419.JPG

Smithy

I've been seriously thinking of putting a leather sqn patch on my ATF B-10 and if I do I'll do it myself using big needle, thimble and sew right through the lining by hand. I'm by no means the world's greatest hand sewer but I've sewn a few things onto things and repaired quite a few objects. I've seen a few original jackets through work with a lot that have had patches and badging hand sewn on, sometimes very carefully and with excellent stitchwork, others were a bit more slapdash. Saying that my B-10 was 150 bucks and I'm not terribly careful of it!

stanier

I’d get the jacket back quickly before anything is opened up and other work done.

Be very sure before you take it anywhere what will happen and what will be done and what materials will be used. I fear you maybe about to ruin and devalue a $500 jacket on your present course.

Apologies to be direct and maybe not what you want to hear but you asked, and you don’t want an expensive after lesson.

I worry letting restaurants hang my jackets up let alone someone who has no understanding of them start messing with the stitching etc!

dmar836

So I haven't gone up to look at one but how will that sew the pocket shut? I know what he means but if it is just the area above the slash , even if that is pocket area, it shouldn't be an issue. Period sewn jackets had such anomalies so as long as it doesn't block using the pocket you should be fine.
But a cobbler?
Dave

Thomas Koehle

do it by yourself or ask your wife / girlfriend / sister / momma / whomever but do not leave it at the cobblers

I life in Mexico and absolutely DO NOT DARE to forward such a job to someone else - even at home in Germany I did it myself coz like some other pals already pointed out you give a 500 bucks jacket to someone who absolutely has no clue about value of what he holds in his hands ...

also if you do it by hand it is still possible to remove with almost no trace - if it is done with a sewing machine the needle stitches in such a high rate it dages the fibres and cannot be removed with the inprint still visible

start with the nametag so you get used to it then get over to the patch

this is how mine worked out ...

uWniKEQ.jpg

htPJ0ui.jpg

the jacket itself was remarkable cheaper than the one you wanna "decorate"

GyreneGreen

When I got home I looked at the other patched up B-15 I have. I didn't realize that my seamstress sewed up just the top edge of the inside pocket. The placement of the of the patch on that jacket is identical to the jacket I dropped off. Honestly I never even noticed the top edge of the pocket was stitched over (photo below). The previous stitch lines show where a patch was placed before I bought the jacket- I put on a larger and better copy of the same squadron patch. You can see the name plate stitching which was done by another cobbler.

I am going to go back to the cobbler tomorrow and just show him how this other jacket was done, maybe let him hold on to it as a guide.

Doing this by hand really isn't worth my time, and I don't think it will look as good as I'd want it to. I feel a lot better now that I know I can allow him some leeway with the stitching.

IMG_8421.JPG

Last edited:

A2 B3au

Very handy my heads been like a washing machine debating doin it my self or trying someone else all things considered if they could do it themselves in the 40s I sure I'm capable nice one Art

A2 B3au

One more thing does anybody have any advice regarding obtaining the leather border which I'd like to place on top of the USA leather shield patch and surrounding the leather USAAF patch on either shoulder. It's for my eastman A2 dark seal goatskin or will it be easier to try purchase them already with leather sewn own patches nice one Art