• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to buy correct Name Tag for ca 1963 G-1 jacket?

chrgod2

I just bought a well used vintage ca 1963 G-1 jacket (likely a Fosters 7823 "B") for which I would like to get made a period-correct name patch, with vintage gold USN-wings.

I see that the design of the wings have changed over the years. I have searched a bit, can anyone recommend a good place to buy a good vintage style name tag? :)

thanks!

chrgod2

Thanks for the tips. I saw that flightsuits page and their name patch looks good. :) Nametags4you looks good for newer stuff!

I guess this is an "anorak" question.. but is it anywhere where I can see the development in wings logo on the name tag from WW2 to today?

I saw a thread in here on "wings", nice stuff!

Maverickson

I feel as though I have been part of the way through the school of hard knocks for locating a good source for reproduction USN name tags! While trying to restore or refurbish two vintage G-1 jackets to pay homage to my father, I have learned something about the original WW-2 style and later USN name tag. I am lucky enough to have two of father's original name tags in my possesion to fall back on.

For some reason I was of the opinion that I should keep my original tags unused. I once thought it would be relatively easy to find a good and reasonably accurate reproduction name tag. I was going to save my father's original name tag and use a reproduction tag on these jackets. On the other hand, the only place I have tried to find a reasonable facsimile for a USN type name tag was from Gibson & Barnes. I have to say that I have been to other flight jacket manufactures websites and observed their name tag examples. They all seem to resemble one another.

The original USN name tag's were made from a 2" X 4" piece of black or as earlier produced brown leather. These patches or pieces of leather exhibted a natural grainy texture. In addition, the original tag's lettering was produced by physically striking the leather using a gold leaf hot foil stamping technique. This hot foil stamping technique sets the standard for an original name tag reproduction.

Foregoing originality, Gibson & Barnes does not use these original techniques to reproduce their name tags. On the contrary, the 2" X 4" piece of leather is smooth and void of grain. The reproduction leather patch rather resembles plastic. In addition, although the lettering is gold leaf, those letters are not embossed but set flush with surface of the patch. Therefore loosing the authenticity of the product.

Maybe someone within the forum has found a supplier of a more authentic style tag! Please note, If you are truely seeking orginality with your flight jacket, then I suggest you look elsewhere for a truely authentic reproduction name tag.

On the other hand, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. I have attempted to explained about the differences between the two name tags. Here are the scaned images of the patches whose differences I have tried to describe. One of these pictures show the original and the other a Gibson & Barnes name tag.

IDTag-2.jpg
IDTag-1.jpg

Which picture do you think shows the forty year old year old original verses the less than one month old name tag?

Good Hunting!

chrgod2

I went for the G&B name tags. To me, they looks ok. Rather thick leather and sharp print. Fast service from G&B also. I had to "vintagize" them a little bit, to make them more accurate to the rather well worn jacket.

With some bending and stretching of the leather to add grain and scruffing of the lettering, they looked much better. I will post some pictures soon. It has become a nice "beater" jacket. :)