• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

whats the word on US Authentic A-2s?

Hawkeye

I've heard some really good things about US Authentic, and what few photos I've seen of their A-2 look pretty good. I've decided to move up a notch from my saddlery a-2 and am thinking about buying US-As russet horsehide A-2. Anyone here ever have one of these?

bseal

Alright, I'll just come out and say what most of us are thinking. . .

Save your money up and put the cash towards a higher end repro, i.e., Gibson & Barnes, ELC, Goodwear, and Real McCoys.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

Hm, well. I just sold off a US Authentic russet horsehide A-2 and I liked it. But I need to tell the whole story to explain why. I've always been a navy jacket fan and this was my first A-2. I got it in a straight trade for a G-1 just to see what I thought of A-2's before I spent some money. I'd always been lukewarm on A-2 jackets, but this jacket turned me around and I'm becoming a big fan. It's a well made jacket overall. Its comfortable and easy to wear. Its also VERY obviously not an accurate repro, however it doesn't fail too badly except on the hardware which was cheap. (Before the collective wrath of the forum pours down on me keep in mind this is my first A-2 guys)

BUT, the leather is thick and soft which is not such a good combination in this case. The stitching seemed to depress the leather, kind of a minor quilting effect that I've never seen in pictures of better A-2 jackets. Also I suspect that the russet overcoat goes down to black on wear points.

Considering the price I paid I was very happy with it, but once it served its purpose as a test I was ready to move on and get something better. I kept it for three months. It actually did well on ebay and I got only about $50 less than a new one would go for. I'll never understand that about ebay. I guess it photographed well. If you already like A-2's you'd do better to go upmarket a bit.

A

Anonymous

The fit of those jackets is crap and so are the details.
They haven't done their homework, so steer clear.
I bought one and then put it on sale on ebay the first day I received it. Also, the leather is too thick and that makes the jacket too heavy. You 'll look like Robocop (TM) in that, not like an aviator.

Falcon_52

I have owned their A-2 for a year and a half. Like others have said, it's not the most accurate repro out there. It seems to be loosely based on the Perry A-2 design (rounded collar points, collar stand, and square stitching on the pocket reinforcements). The leather is much heavier than a typical 3 ounce A-2 - I measured the jacket and in some places, it is near 5 ounces.

Despite the inaccuracies, it is a tough, tough jacket. I'm not afraid to wear it in any weather or for any purpose. The price was also a big factor for me at the time.

If you are interested in one, order one to see for yourself what they are like. You can always return it if you don't like it.

The other forum members may now proceed to clobber me!

Noel

greyhound52

Hawkeye,
My first A2 was a Gibson and Barnes. Very nice jacket, priced well, and excellent customer service. Be advised they run big so I took a 40 vice 42 or 44 in other jackets by higher end makers.

bseal said:
P.S. Fedoralover has the inside scoop.

Is this the scoop you're talking about?
IMG_20070130_0001_3.jpg

I sent mine back when it came with this defect. I didn't like the super heavy leather and the long arms. But if you are looking for a good motorcycle jacket it would probably work out fine. Some people like them, but they are just a very generic A-2 look a like with no attention to any contract details. In the long run, you are stll better off with another vendor. If you want to move up a notch without going all the way to the top, Gibson and Barnes would be a much better choice.

fedoralover

Hawkeye

What was the zip like on that jacket? you wouldnt happen to have any other pics of that jacket would you fedoralover?

zoomer

US-A Goatskin A-2
This is their standard model in medium (choco) brown.
Price is $294. Any other color, or the horsehide, is $100 more.
1392136064_63158843de.jpg
1392136494_1353c78d5f.jpg

The goat is relatively thick and spongy, but from what I've been hearing about the horsehide, that's a lot more so. (5oz?!)
The fit I'll let you judge for yourself - again, long sleeves and long cuffs too. However, the shoulders square up well.
It's comfortable all around and I can wear a light second layer under it, which may be a plus or may be a minus, depending on your tastes.
There is a collar stand. The lining is a brushed twill, not the period type fine weave shirting cotton. This makes the jacket warmer than it needs to be.
1342143617_25802b33e6.jpg

There are extra large AAF and AN stamps too. (Sorry - no pix.)

Goofs must be pretty common on US-A's. Mine has one collar nipple about 1/4" higher than the other.
2402877665_11a46c32ba.jpg

This operation is for keeps of course - you can't reuse or relocate the snaps once they're in.
You also get a semi-glimpse of the collar latch, which is big and strictly functional - bright-plated stamped metal (not wire).

Chandler

fedoralover said:
I sent mine back when it came with this defect.

What was the finish like on that jacket? By the looks of the picture, it looks heavily laquered - sort of like a Flight Suits Historical A-2 I once owned. I tried everything in the world to wear the finish down on it, but it was impervious!

Chandler

Chandler said:
fedoralover said:
I sent mine back when it came with this defect.

What was the finish like on that jacket? By the looks of the picture, it looks heavily laquered - sort of like a Flight Suits Historical A-2 I once owned. I tried everything in the world to wear the finish down on it, but it was impervious!

Chandler

I think the finish does wear off the russet pretty readily. The one I had seemed to be showing a bit of black through in a few spots. But looking at Zoomer's it might have been that color instead. Could it be that the dark brown coats are being oversprayed with russet? I didn't want to keep the jacket long enough to find out.

Hawkeye said:
What was the zip like on that jacket? you wouldnt happen to have any other pics of that jacket would you fedoralover?

The zip seemed pretty wimpy for the weight of the jacket to me, but I don't know how they hold up.

fedoralover

Hawkeye said:
you wouldnt happen to have any other pics of that jacket would you fedoralover?

This is the only one. The color isn't accurate in the pic. The other pic showing the flaw is more true. If you look at it, it's like they make a Dubow in reverse with the pocket spacing. The left pocket should be the one closer to the storm flap edge, not the other way around. It just looks off to me.
IMG_20070130_0001.jpg

fedoralover