• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Chuck wearing?.............

Flightpath

Hi,

I was enjoying looking at the great photos posted by 'Jet Pilot Overseas' on the Nylon Jacket Forum and noticed a photo of Chuck Yeager..............

ChuckandhisA-2.jpg

He is wearing what looks like an A-2 jacket but it has an extension with a press stud on it below the zip, does antone know about this jacket? (has this been discussed before?).

cheers,

-John

shanghai joe

got slash pockets too....................look where his hands are............maybe fabric, looking at the creases on the jkt..........

common guys, get involve !!

Atticus

We talked about this photo at some length on the old forum. I'm almost 100% sure its an L-2. We're talking 1947---so if it were an L-2A, it would have been brand new. It does look to be blue, but L-2s were a darker green than L-2Bs. Hard to tell for sure in this B/W photo.

AF

Swing

Atticus said:
We talked about this photo at some length on the old forum. I'm almost 100% sure its an L-2. We're talking 1947---

Not so fast. Yeager's flew the X-1 twice in 1950, and his last flight in the X-1 was in 1951.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X-1_flights

The earliest photos I have of L2As are in early to mid 51 in Korea, so it's very possible the jacket Yeager is wearing is an L2A.

Here's another photo of Yeager, probably wearing that same nylon jacket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Chuck_Yeager.jpg

Looking at that photo, I wouldn't be suprised if the jacket was blue with OD knit.

~Swing

Vcruiser

Swing said:
Atticus said:
We talked about this photo at some length on the old forum. I'm almost 100% sure its an L-2. We're talking 1947---

Not so fast. Yeager's flew the X-1 twice in 1950, and his last flight in the X-1 was in 1951.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X-1_flights

The earliest photos I have of L2As are in early to mid 51 in Korea, so it's very possible the jacket Yeager is wearing is an L2A.

Here's another photo of Yeager, probably wearing that same nylon jacket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Chuck_Yeager.jpg

Looking at that photo, I wouldn't be suprised if the jacket was blue with OD knit.

~Swing

Good catch Swing!
I think you are right.
VB

A

Anonymous

Nice L-2, I think. Since the photo is B&W the L-2A would be a little darker I would think. Need the Jacket CSI squad again. BTW I think thats Jack Riddley standing next to him.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Swing said:

I think so too ... if there was a new jacket, he'd be wearing it.

And I converted several photo's to B&W. Blue nylon then has a similar look to the Yeager picture, though his knits are different, supporting the 'green'.

The nylon in my olive L-2 pictures comes out as much lighter.

BRL-2BW.jpg

Atticus

shanghai joe said:
great input guys, a breathe of fresh air injected into the forum.............whoooosh ;)

Every now and then we pause from ranting about oil, nazis, boots, annual sex, politics, and the 2nd Amendment to briefly mumble something about a jacket.

AF

Geir

Hei John,

Jeg bor i Nittedal, også i Akershus fylke, men på den andre siden av Oslo. Hva fikk deg til å flytte til Norge?

Hilsen Geir

Flightpath

Geir said:
Hei John,
Hva fikk deg til å flytte til Norge?
Hilsen Geir
Thanks to all who added to the discussion about Chuck Yeager's jacket,(there's not many colour photos of him with the X-1 to look at).

Min grunn?...........Se har...........
Jorunn-1.jpg

Sorry guys, Geir asked me why I moved to Norway, here's my reason, blue eyes and brown hair......... I married her in Sept. 2000.

cheers,

-John

Vcruiser

OK with me. No explanation needed...as far as I'm concerned!
In fact...I think that pic would make a much better avatar for you!!! :D ;)
Van

Weasel_Loader

The two weeks I spent in Stavanger, Norway were spent twisting my neck and all the hotties! :oops: Spain came very close to the visuals I had in Norway. :lol:

Flightpath

Weasel_Loader said:
The two weeks I spent in Stavanger, Norway were spent twisting my neck and all the hotties! :oops: Spain came very close to the visuals I had in Norway. :lol:

Yep,

I have to admit that the girls here are a step up from most I have seen around the world, here's another reason to live in Norway, this cabin came as a bonus when I married my lovely wife................
Hyttepage.jpg

The fishing's great and one morning last summer there were five moose on the grass in front of the liveing room!

cheers,

-John

Flightpath

We might be getting away from the topic of jackets here so I'll finish with my 17th of May photo (Norway's national day)........ it was just the right weather to wear my 1962 G-1!!
Jacketphoto.jpg

cheers,

-John

PS: this does not mean that I'm not the proudest aussie that ever lived, I miss Australia every day!

Geir

Hi John,

I can see why you moved to Norway! My wife is an American citizen, but she has been living here since she was 6. Where we live we have three guys from Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) who all have married Norwegian girls. In addition two Dutch families have moved here, so this is becoming quite an international area.
That was a nice picture from the 17th of May. This year we had the worst weather ever. I teach at a high school in Oslo, so I had to be in action from 0700 hours in the freezing rain. I caught a bad cold and stayed in bed for three days. When I came home it was actually snowing.

Cheers

Geir