• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What type of victory marking is this?

a2jacketpatches

I see these here and there, on AVG aircraft, etc. And always thought they were civilian kills. I know the Rising Sun is a military flag, but this was used as well with the ground forces as a belly flag. Is there a specific use for each or just personal preference? Civilian / commercial like a bridge or something. Any info appreciated so I can better describe this new item.

unclegrumpy

leper-colony said:
Its a kill flag representing a Japanese aircraft. Just not a rising sun w/rays.
Yes, they seemed to use both flag types on aircraft for kills. Interestingly on sub kill flags and conning towers there is a difference.....the rayed flag for military vessels and the meatball for civilian or merchant vessels.

a2jacketpatches

Didn't have any idea about the sub kills, but maybe that's why i thought there was a difference with aircraft. All make sense now seeing both used.

tom james

Could it be that the "meatball" is for army aircraft & the "meatball" with rays is for naval aircraft? Isn't the flag with rays a naval ensign?

a2jacketpatches

I know the Rising Sun is specific to military, not sure if Navy or not. They had Army and Navy aircraft as well as Army and Navy groundforces.

jnlight75

a2jacketpatches said:
I know the Rising Sun is specific to military, not sure if Navy or not. They had Army and Navy aircraft as well as Army and Navy groundforces.

The rising sun flag with offset sun is Navy; there is an Army version with the sun in the center. But you see regular flags with no rays for military (Army) use too.

As for the victory markings, if we are talking aircraft, my guess is most pilots just picked a style and did all their markings that way - not really paying attention to Army/Navy, etc. If you look at photos, I can't recall seeing them mixed. And if you look at some well-known planes (like Richard Bong's) you will see all rising sun markings despite a mix of Army/Navy victories. AVG seemed to use the sun without rays.

For ship victories (mostly talking ship or submarine victories over other ships) it looks like they had mixed use the sun with rays for military and the sun only for merchant.

a2jacketpatches

yeah, what I figured from what everyone has said. And just found the facts out on the Army being centered and Navy offset. The submarine thing must be what had me pondering the whole mess.

A

Anonymous

Yes, Navy is with rays offset, I think it's still in use.
The army is centered and offensive to Chinese and Koreans, so not In use.