• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

tjoenn

Greg, I used a font called Marsh which looks good to my eyes for a US WWII stencil style font. I printed it onto 160g paper/card and then cut it out using a new exacto blade. The textile paint was then dry brushed on. It's really easy to do and a fun process.
Where did you get the paint and what's the brand you used?

Smithy

Thanks! There's a Panduro store 5 mins from my house. After looking at your excellent results, I think I'll give this a try on my Eastman bag (when summer is over...)

Go for it! It's very easy and fun to do. I'm just about to stencil a 4th FG eagle on my bag so I'll post some pics here.

Brettafett

Graphic Designers out there, can you recommend any good calligraphy/ script font... I am considering painting a name on the front breast of a jacket and am looking for something soft and flowy. (pic is just showing the idea not the typeface) Any ideas?
Bucky A-2.jpg

Smithy

This is the Arctic for you...

Mucking around in the garden about 8am: ATF B-10
Took the little fella for a wander up to the shops and the park about 11am: AVI Bronco A-2
12pm: too damn hot for anything apart from shorts, a polo shirt and a pair of boat shoes.
7pm: same as 12pm apart from the inclusion of a cold beer.

B-Man2

Tim
Enjoy it while you can . What’s the length of your summers up there? I’m guessing about 14 days, 6 hours and 36 minutes;)

Smithy

It's funny mate, it really depends. My first summer the first time I lived here back in 2003 was a blinder, went on for weeks and weeks and we had 30 Celsius several times. This summer is really shaping up well, we had 29/30 last Wednesday - what's that in Fahrenheit? - and today is a cracker. Funnily enough I prefer it to Melbourne. Summer there was just too long and all the 40+ days, snakes and insects coming out of the woodwork - our garden was infested with Huntsman spiders. Summer in Melbourne would've been better if it was 2 months shorter, the kids could get real cranky with the heat too.

B-Man2

That’s much hotter than I thought . 85 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit . I’m in northern Florida and your up there in our temperature ranges . Cheers on the cold beer idea. I’ll be downing one myself after I mow this damn lawn for the 2nd time this week :mad:

Pilot

Was in Melbourne during the last Australian Open...last day of AO +47 deg C.
The girls were still playing...amazing....But I love Melbourne...

Smithy

That’s much hotter than I thought . 85 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit . I’m in northern Florida and your up there in our temperature ranges . Cheers on the cold beer idea. I’ll be downing one myself after I mow this damn lawn for the 2nd time this week :mad:

Haha! You should see here, because we have 24 hour sunlight you can virtually watch the grass growing longer!

Was in Melbourne during the last Australian Open...last day of AO +47 deg C.
The girls were still playing...amazing....But I love Melbourne...

It's a wonderful city, one of the best in the world but summer can be very looooong if you live there.

I remember when Black Saturday happened the temperature was 47/48 but the scariest thing was that the wind which was pretty much gale force was hotter than the ambient air temperature.

johnwayne

Re typeface for painting then while I’ve never done it, as an ex typesetter I would suggest going on your PC and looking at what you like from the drop down list. There’s a few script faces that might work but try to avoid anything where the ascenders and descenders are too thin ie something where the strokes are pretty consistenent thickness. Remember though a lot of pc type styles are modern or bastardised from older ones. Most done back in the day we’re prob done by someone who was a pretty good with brush and there again a good selection of quality brushes is vital as the type of paint. The pic shows a pretty crude style IMO but whatever just practice a good few times with colour variations maybe or if you’ve any jacket art books(?) why not use one of those styles to copy, some in my books are superb!! I’m sure too there loads of images online.

Pilot

Alternatively invite Greg and his very sweet and talented Lady, sure she will paint/write something superb. :)
She is an artist for artwork.

Steve27752

Chaps, this is the What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment thread.
Can we start a new topic for the paint thread?

Pilot

Same here 37deg C... But no choice...
Hugo B.. and MK25...
Here you feel the difference inbetween a crap garnment and one out of the “Boutique”...
Thus again to justify the “ investment”