• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Silver Surfer

ian, dont mess with the sleeve length. yes, they are slightly long, and that is a good thing if you intend to do anything more then stand at attention. also, after being worn in the rain and or snow, eventually you will get the 1/2" you are looking for anyhow. the color on that 44 is outstanding. also, i now find myself more inclined to appreciate the style and fit, and practicality of the repro work, aviator-mc jackets. just something about that early 20th century look that gets my attention.

Dr H

ian, dont mess with the sleeve length. yes, they are slightly long, and that is a good thing if you intend to do anything more then stand at attention. also, after being worn in the rain and or snow, eventually you will get the 1/2" you are looking for anyhow. the color on that 44 is outstanding. also, i now find myself more inclined to appreciate the style and fit, and practicality of the repro work, aviator-mc jackets. just something about that early 20th century look that gets my attention.

Thanks Victor, I’ll heed your advice concerning the sleeves. I bought it as a regular work jacket for autumn/winter and it’s inevitably going to get wear in the rain in a wetter county like Somerset - I don’t plan to baby the jacket.

After years of wearing shorter, windcheater jackets, the Journeyman and Brakeman are my first longer (medium length) leathers.
I agree with you. I’ve always been keen on late 19th/early 20th century styles, so this simple silhouette with large panels, six button fastening, and no frills is going to work well for me.
I’ll take some more detailed images later, but detailing is very similar to the Journeyman (with subtle differences in cut).

This is a well lined coat with wool in the sleeves and storm cuffs. I’m not a fan of most tartan fabrics (often pretty garish and some of the Freewheelers’ choices in e.g. tartan lining for the Four Corners have been eye watering), but this is subtle and predominantly white/pale red. The leather is already well broken in - very soft to the torso, great variation in tone, all solid in terms of construction.

The Journeyman will go on the market, but you’ve already observed that this isn’t the best time of year to sell so it might wait until after the summer. Although the Journeyman has some nicer details than the Brakeman- certainly the lining and colour combination of Tatanka/olive wool/olive drab thread is more appealing) the two coats are too similar in look and niche to keep both.

I’ve posted elsewhere that I’m paring down my leathers to just a summer windcheater jacket (capeskin), an autumn/winter (Brakeman), and a more casual jacket somewhere between the two in terms of length that you know about already (goat). All different in pattern and weight to allow them to be worn frequently.

Smithy

After years of wearing shorter, windcheater jackets, the Journeyman and Brakeman are my first longer (medium length) leathers.

I think you make a good point there. Although not the same as yours the sentiment is the same, if the weather here is on the nasty side (as it so often can be in the Arctic) and not seriously cold, then I tend to grab my Barnstormer. If there's rain or sleet and a wind up I know that with a good jumper underneath I'll be laughing.

Dr H

We’ve just returned from an impromptu fish and chip supper at an excellent local restaurant beside a huge lake (created in the ‘50s by creating a dam and flooding a village). Very windy, pretty cold, but warm as toast in my Brakeman over just a shirt and moleskin waistcoat.

Skip

Looks sensational Ian, glad you found a keeper. It's all personal preference of corse but I reckon those sleeves look fine. I'm tending to get my jackets longer in the sleeve these days, and as you said it should crease half inch anyway

A2 B3au

027DAB74-8643-4408-9E0F-8220FC42F7F1.jpeg
My cable