• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Pilot

goodwear_aero.jpg

Goodwear AERO
Wow! for both: The GW-Aero and the Tudor...

Technonut2112

I've taken advantage of quite rainy upper 50's weather both yesterday, and this morning to help break in the recently purchased horsehide Morgan Productions 'Morgan Memphis Belle' A-2 I posted the other day :) .

I'm VERY happy that I was able to source another one here in the States from Col. Morgan's widow, Linda Morgan, without needing to order from Japan ;) . These are hands-down the most accurate wartime-patterned horsehide A-2's for the $$ ($436.00 USD in Japan) I have run across in years. :)

The details such as epaulet placement straight over the shoulder and not rolled-forward, pocket placement, 'proper' shoulder width, sleeve circumference / taper, etc., all excellent IMO. Neatly-done contrasting stitching, and solid construction as well. The horsehide is VERY sweet, and is showing grain / creasing nicely for breaking it in from brand-new only over the past few days. I can't wait to have the sleeves shortened a bit, and a nice set of dull 'brick' red knits I have installed. :cool:

There is stock up to size 46 showing here for those interested:

http://buyee.jp/rakuten/detail/captaintoms:10001879

I'm fairly certain there is no other stock in the USA unfortunately... ;(

DSCF0480 (2).jpg

DSCF0481 (2).jpg

DSCF0494 (2).jpg

DSCF0484 (2).jpg

DSCF0496 (2).jpg

ties70

Nice G-1 Ties. What's the story behind it? What's mysterious about the jacket?

Nothing mysterious about my particular jacket, but the maker:
The Flying Equipment Co., Chicago Illinois, G-1 looks just like a perfect example of a military issued USN jacket...BUT: It doesn' seem to be clear if they actually were awarded an official contract. Some think yes, but fail to deliver proof. Other say no, and they think that FE Co. might have been the maker of a perfect copy of a military jacket for the civilian market.

Not really sure if that problem has been solved by now...but it's definitely a great jacket, genuine government issue or not!

Best regards,

Ties

Lorenzo_l

Nothing mysterious about my particular jacket, but the maker:
The Flying Equipment Co., Chicago Illinois, G-1 looks just like a perfect example of a military issued USN jacket...BUT: It doesn' seem to be clear if they actually were awarded an official contract. Some think yes, but fail to deliver proof. Other say no, and they think that FE Co. might have been the maker of a perfect copy of a military jacket for the civilian market.

Not really sure if that problem has been solved by now...but it's definitely a great jacket, genuine government issue or not!

Best regards,

Ties

Thanks, Ties. Looks like a legit G-1 to me. But I was wondering about the name of the manufacturer, which I was not familiar with. Mystery manufacturer or not, nice jacket all the same only made more interesting for, well, the mystery manufacturer! Wear it in good health.

Grant

Flying Equip made military looking jackets for the civi market in the 50's. They made a decent looking goat A-2 as well.

Marv

GW Dubow 20960 A2 yesterday but was a bit on the warm side so today it was the turn of the Baracuta G9 to make an outing.

Technonut2112

Copied over from the 'Hat Place'.. And a continuation of bseal's For Sale thread here. ;)

Had a SHORT window to wear this today before warming up (excuse my sweaty hair :oops: )... New (to me) Aero AAF type AN-J-3. This jacket was virtually unworn, and has some of the most superb veg-tanned, thick, full-of-character goatskin I've seen in years. Damn near like a cross between horse & goat... Nice stuff! :cool:. I've lusted after 'the' AAF type AN-J-3 for many years, but was never quite satisfied with what I've owned. IMO (besides a couple of detail niggles), Aero REALLY knocked this one out of the park. Tagged my size (44), the jacket has room, but is trim, with great forearm taper. Looks like a jacket I would want to wear in a tight cockpit for certain.. :)

Some shy away from the AAF type AN-J-3's larger collar, but it is one of the original features I particularly like, and important for authenticity (I also think I can pull it off well too... :p ;)). While not advertised by the seller, the jacket sports an optional NOS M-43 Talon zip (double-marked) VERY pleasant surprise. :D

DSCF0529.JPG

DSCF0526.JPG

DSCF0530.JPG

DSCF0528.JPG

DSCF0525.JPG

DSCF0511.jpg

DSCF0516.jpg

Last edited: