• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Dr H

Thanks for the compliments - best of all it fits perfectly. It’s great: robust and warm, and a regular wearer when a more casual jacket is needed (I use the RL replica of the 1913 peacoat for work in the colder temperatures).

Skip

Nice N-1 Ian, it looks very comfortable and warm, how warm would you say it is compared to an Irvin, and compared to a B-10 or B15 in fit? From your picture, it just has a casual sharpness about it.

A2 B3au

Does anyone know when eastman stopped using red cotton for their stitching on their starsportwear A2. Also I prefer the red stitching and am wondering if eastman use it on the regular ac23373 or if you have to ask for it specifically.. nice one Art

Dr H

Nice N-1 Ian, it looks very comfortable and warm, how warm would you say it is compared to an Irvin, and compared to a B-10 or B15 in fit? From your picture, it just has a casual sharpness about it.

Thanks Matt, it is very warm and comfortable. Similar in warmth to a B-10 or a D-1, perhaps less warm than a B-15. Not as warm as an Irvin or other heavy shearlings, but less bulky/less heavy. I find the USN patterns more practical than USAAF for regular wear - long enough, with a storm flap, and a collar that stands up in a wind.

Casual sharpness is a good description:
59AD582B-68DD-4D8E-AF2F-1157401BA418.jpeg

Last edited:

Skip

Thats the pic I had in mind, Ian.

Well, looks like the weather made a liar of me. Still not as cold as Norway Tim but yesterday boardies and surf on the mind, today 16'C jeans and the ELC 33 Werber. Thats a drop of 19'C overnight since the cold front came blustering in.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Smithy

The temperature in Melbourne used to drop like a stone sometimes Matt. I think the worst I remember was back around 2010 and we had some mates round, the barbie was warming up and it was high 20s. Suddenly a cold snap blew through and the temperature dropped to around 12 degrees in under half an hour and then a massive hail storm hit. I carried the barbie inside the garage and we had the party in the garage. We were pretty lucky as there was quite a bit of damage to cars and houses. I can still remember we had a bloody good party in the garage though.

Skip

Good on ya Tim. Its funny, I've noticed over the years that during our Winter, top temp could be in the low teens and people around here (near Sydney) still go around in a T-shirt, shorts and thongs, and you can tell they're cold. I sometimes walk along the beach in jeans and one of my jackets but there are those that either don't feel the cold or they just think this absurd colder weather is very UN Australian, and walk around 12 months of the year in defiance of whatever the weather brings. Is it just ignorance, or a lack of grey matter?

On the other side because we don't have great fluctuations in weather, seasons on our coast are not really distinct, and people just get used to a comfortable climate without central heating and the like, only having to deal with the occasional colder day in Winter.

Smithy

Hi Skip,

The year I lived in Sydney after I finished uni I never found it particularly cold. I thought winter in Sydney was pretty mild but I suppose coming from the Shaky Isles meant that I was used to colder winters so I felt spoilt in NSW. The one period I hated in Sydney was around February when the humidity combined with the temperature was through the roof. We lived at the pub when it was like that or went to the beach.

Bit different lifestyle to here!

Skip

Hi Skip,

The year I lived in Sydney after I finished uni I never found it particularly cold. I thought winter in Sydney was pretty mild but I suppose coming from the Shaky Isles meant that I was used to colder winters so I felt spoilt in NSW. The one period I hated in Sydney was around February when the humidity combined with the temperature was through the roof. We lived at the pub when it was like that or went to the beach.

Bit different lifestyle to here!

Yep, Im herin' ya. Jan/Feb are not my favourite of all months because of that reason. Megan's due to retire in the next 3 or so years and we're thinking of moving further South to escape the humid heat. Like to be able to wear some of my jackets a little more often.

aside from eBay, are they're any places one can find a decent N-1 like Dr H's few posts back?

stanier

Does anyone know when eastman stopped using red cotton for their stitching on their starsportwear A2. Also I prefer the red stitching and am wondering if eastman use it on the regular ac23373 or if you have to ask for it specifically.. nice one Art

Art, whilst not 100% sure I think I’m right in saying that the red stitching was a bit of a fantasy thing that didn’t appear on originals. I think they stopped using the red around the time the Star was changed to Warhorse leather and a repro Talon. I have an ELC Star from about 18 months ago and it is stunning, easily the best A-2 I’ve ever owned. The leather graining is superb and a world away from the plastic looking red stitched item I had years ago and sent back to them as it just looked cheap imho. The only issue with my current Star is I need to send it back to have a new throat latch fitted as the current one snapped where it curves a while ago, never had this happen before in any A-2 and I never use the latch so can’t be through use but a minor if not annoying issue.

I’d also consider a BK Star now, particularly in Badalassi cow hide (we now know cow was used on Star’s originally). If you really wanted red stitching BK will do this but I don’t think ELC will.

Hope this helps.

Steve27752

Art, whilst not 100% sure I think I’m right in saying that the red stitching was a bit of a fantasy thing that didn’t appear on originals. I think they stopped using the red around the time the Star was changed to Warhorse leather and a repro Talon. I have an ELC Star from about 18 months ago and it is stunning, easily the best A-2 I’ve ever owned. The leather graining is superb and a world away from the plastic looking red stitched item I had years ago and sent back to them as it just looked cheap imho. The only issue with my current Star is I need to send it back to have a new throat latch fitted as the current one snapped where it curves a while ago, never had this happen before in any A-2 and I never use the latch so can’t be through use but a minor if not annoying issue.

I’d also consider a BK Star now, particularly in Badalassi cow hide (we now know cow was used on Star’s originally). If you really wanted red stitching BK will do this but I don’t think ELC will.

Hope this helps.
A pic would show it better.

Smithy

Yep, Im herin' ya. Jan/Feb are not my favourite of all months because of that reason. Megan's due to retire in the next 3 or so years and we're thinking of moving further South to escape the humid heat. Like to be able to wear some of my jackets a little more often.

aside from eBay, are they're any places one can find a decent N-1 like Dr H's few posts back?

An N-1 is on my list of things to get eventually. I'm not a big deck jacket aficionado so super-duper accuracy isn't critical for me so I'll probably just go for one of ATF's ones when i get around to getting one.

Edward

Blimey Edward, where in the world are you? Where I am in the UK it’s -3c this morning and with wind chill feels like -8c! I’m wishing I didn’t sell my B-3 and an A-2 just wouldn’t cut it!

It will be the D-1 with an A-1 underneath and nice warm undershirt when I venture out later. Brrrr!:confused:
Charleston SC. Spring arrives early in the southeast of the USA. pollen is thick too.
IMG_9017.JPGIMG_9020-1.JPGIMG_9021-1.JPG

B-Man2

The Perry looks great .....but Sadie looks like a keeper!! ... ( I'm assuming Sadie is the cat here):)

Last edited: