What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by Roughwear, Mar 22, 2008.

1. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

high end repro of their 1936 road jacket American Negro League

check out Ebbets Field Flannels -just one T

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. galvestonokie

galvestonokie Member

here's a G-1 Edwards:
    upload_2018-1-9_21-4-55.png

Tommy and Steve27752 like this.
  3. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Sweet looking G-1.
    Like the collar color.

4. Earloffunk

Earloffunk Member

Very nice G-1 - makes me think whether or not I might need an original G-1 sometime.

5. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

The one thing that puts me off getting a G-1 or M-442(a) jacket is the collars often look a bit piddly to my eyes, too small. I know it's just me but I like a decent size collar if it's sheepskin, mouton, etc. Were there variations in collar size with these or are they mostly fairly small?

6. Tenfifteen

Tenfifteen Member

that's what I like with the G1s ;)

Yes, but from rather small collar (mid 60's) to a little bigger... but not as big as some weird repro like 80's Avirex & co when the collar where removable
    my 1963 Irvin B foster has the smallest collar I've seen on a G1, my Brill is bigger and my 1955 LW Foster has the biggest one... although it doesn't reach the ears anyway :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  7. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. So the 50s ones have the largest collars then?

8. Tenfifteen

Tenfifteen Member

I can't say.. as my LW Foster is the only early 7823(AER) I've seen IRL (and it's not even a good exemple as it's an Amend#2 witch is a transition.. ) but it seems that the AER where the same
    All the 7823B I've seen had the smallest collar, that's all I can say

9. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

IMG_6531.JPG
    Tim
    I don't know if this helps but the top collar is an Eastman M-422a
    The next one down is 1969 Martin Lane G-1 and the bottom one is the current issue USN G-1
    Cheers

Tommy, falcon_ib, Smithy and 4 others like this.
  10. Tenfifteen

Tenfifteen Member

Thx B-Man ! The Martin Lane has the typical rounded collar of the 60's ... obviously the "pre G1s" had that pointy look that make them bigger !
    whoh ! Never seen the actual G1s before ! They have even smaller collar tha my Irvin foster :D

11. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

The "current" G-1 in my photo was actually a 1999 contract, but yes the newer G-1 jackets have a smaller collar as Tim (Smithy) noted. Most of the 60s G-1s have a slightly larger collar with nice looking reddish mouton.

Tenfifteen likes this.
  12. Tenfifteen

Tenfifteen Member

the current G1s are really dark too ! (In contrast with the majority of the light brown 7823E "chocolate")
    for the 60's G1 the C and D have the biggest collar I think (as seen on Star/Brill 7823D/Ralph E...) Don't now if it's an Irvin B Foster spec but the 7823B had (really) smaller collar (I've seen a Ralph 7823B but can't remember if the collar was the same)

13. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

Ah, the G&F from the days when ELC used that label.

14. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Steve
    At the risk of getting the dreaded green right turn off thread sign, I'll push this one more post;)
    Good eyes!
    I wonder why they stopped using the Gordon & Furguson label . Did Eastman get called on it by whoever now owns the name?

15. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

I do not know, they now use a ELC label.

16. Miles

Miles Active Member

Bibs are cool but Levis 55s work great with my high waisted LW ANJ-4. High waisted is the key with these vintage looks. It also helps if ya got short legs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas Koehle and Earloffunk like this.
  17. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

IMG_6536.JPG IMG_6539.JPG IMG_6535.JPG A rainy day here so I went with an old standby , my Barbour International Waxed A7 .

Steve27752, Smithy and Thomas Koehle like this.
  18. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Now that M-422a is OK with me, I'd wear that, put me down as a big collar guy - must be because I was born in the 70s :D

Thanks for posting those Burt.

Skip likes this.
  19. Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Chinese repop B10 I recently got from one of my pals

Art, D97x7 and Miles like this.
  20. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, the m422a's had slightly larger collars than their post war comrades along with a more comfortable fit, but it did vary. I've had a G&F (red lining), ET Church, and an FO, all had larger collars, but the largest was the Gordon and Ferguson which comes to a pointed end almost squared off compared to other contracts, which I think looks much smarter. The Church has a more rounded collar end, and the FO is in-between.

On another note, bit unusual for me to post a jacket wear shot this time of year as lately temp has been nudging closer to 40'c, but the Snowies got a light dusting of snow overnight and the subsequent cold front made its up our way. Just back from a cruise in the delightfully cooler air in The ELC '33 Weber.

IMG_0440.JPG