• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Steve27752

I would like to say "Thank you" to ELC especially Kevin for the very fast turn around with my 'Monarch, a2 jacket...I posted it off on Monday and three days later Thursday it is back. My Name tag has been done perfectly ;-)
TuY7gRa.jpg

lP2bE63.jpg

Last edited:

Bombing IP

You can still see it fits as it should , If it were mine I would be very happy with it .Ar you done with the name tape or are you going to put more patches on . Its a hard decision some times less is more ! .

BIP

Steve27752

You can still see it fits as it should , If it were mine I would be very happy with it .Ar you done with the name tape or are you going to put more patches on . Its a hard decision some times less is more ! .

BIP
Yes, it's finished, I put patches on a A-2 years ago and I regretted it almost straight away..................But, I do think an A-2 needs a Name tag.

Edward

Yes, it's finished, I put patches on a A-2 years ago and I regretted it almost straight away..................But, I do think an A-2 needs a Name tag.
Good to read this as I've been debating on adding my patches! Greetings, I'm Edward and a proud recent owner of the Eastman Leather Co. Star Sportswear 28857 via History Preservations Associates. I have been wanting an A-2 for 30 years and well, I just turned the big 50 and what better birthday present to myself than and ELC A2 Original Manufacture repro! I had every intention of creating a pseudo tribute A2 and purchased an authentic USAAF patch and an 8th patch, a leather name tag and considered possibly painting a pinup on the back. BUT... now I just can't bring myself to do it! LOL!
I'm having reservations about poking holes into the HH. Its such a beautiful jacket and now I'm not so sure I want to add patches or even my leather name tag. So having read a couple of opinions here about adding patches and the possibility of regretting it I'm finding myself swayed to leave the jacket as is and wearing it as a nice dress out... for the time being. If I had purchased a cheaper less authentic repro I would do it. Anyway, here I am breaking in my Star Sportswear with an authentic Elgin A-11 watch, Acme Thunderer whistle and an authentic Lucky Little Bell of San Michele from the Isle of Capri... yes, I should wear a 15th AF patch with the Capri luck charm but I'm partial to the mighty 8th! :) I will be seasoning my A-2 in October by flying in the Collings Foundation B-17 'Nine O Nine' October 28, 2017!
View media item 106View media item 105View media item 104with an Eastman Rangoon

Last edited:

seres

Beautiful jacket, Edward, and it looks like a great fit. I'm curious of the Star sizing... what size is that Star, and how does it compare to your suit size (larger size, the same, etc.)?

Edward

Beautiful jacket, Edward, and it looks like a great fit. I'm curious of the Star sizing... what size is that Star, and how does it compare to your suit size (larger size, the same, etc.)?
I'm small boned and I run so I tend to lose weight easily. I have a size 38 chest and I'M 5' 11" but I was recommended to get the size 42R Star instead of the size 40 (being these jackets run smaller than stated 1940's era size ) and good thing I did because the 42 is perfect on me. its starting to break in after a few weeks of wearing it around the house and getting much easier to put on and take off. when I first got it it was awkward to put on being so stiff and I was afraid my shoulder width might be a problem... but no longer. I went with the Star because I read the cut of the back was a bit larger and roomier and the arms don't draw up as much when reaching. that has proven to be the case. its a comfortable fit. So yes, they suggest to size up to fit as the 40R that was to fit a 38" chest would have indeed been too tight for me especially if I wear the Eastman Gabardine Wool Rangoon officers shirt with it.

Garylafortuna

To patch or not to patch. Personally, I really like patched up A-2s, and I have a heavily patched Rough Wear 42-1401P made by Diamond Dave, with patches made by Sean Collins at A2jacketpatches. As beautiful as it is, sometimes I don't want to strut around making such a loud statement. Thanks to a couple of our members, I was able to acquire at a reasonable price, two beautiful clean unpatched A-2s; one a Dubow 20960 made by John Chapman, and the other an Aero 38-1711P made by Aero Scotland. So now I have the best of both worlds. I hope this doesn't sound too arrogant, but anyone who really loves quality leather jackets, should not waste their money on getting a cheap A-2 for the purpose of patching up. You will be unhappy with it in the long run. Welcome to the forum Edward. If it pleases you, don't be afraid to add a few patches to that extraordinary ELC Star 28857. And don't feel that the big 50 is the top of a long down hill slide. You are just getting started man.

Edward

To patch or not to patch. Personally, I really like patched up A-2s, and I have a heavily patched Rough Wear 42-1401P made by Diamond Dave, with patches made by Sean Collins at A2jacketpatches. As beautiful as it is, sometimes I don't want to strut around making such a loud statement. Thanks to a couple of our members, I was able to acquire at a reasonable price, two beautiful clean unpatched A-2s; one a Dubow 20960 made by John Chapman, and the other an Aero 38-1711P made by Aero Scotland. So now I have the best of both worlds. I hope this doesn't sound too arrogant, but anyone who really loves quality leather jackets, should not waste their money on getting a cheap A-2 for the purpose of patching up. You will be unhappy with it in the long run. Welcome to the forum Edward. If it pleases you, don't be afraid to add a few patches to that extraordinary ELC Star 28857. And don't feel that the big 50 is the top of a long down hill slide. You are just getting started man.

Thanks! I agree on your point about the "cheap A-2" which is why I invested in the Eastman Original Maker Jacket. I would love to get a GW but the Eastman was in stock and ready to ship from Historic Preservations in NJ and I wanted it ASAP! LOL! Perhaps one day I will patch this one or... invest in another maker jacket from Eastman so I too can either wear the understated or the more loud statement jacket. After all, I waited 30 years to get one with the dream of a pinup girl on the back! :). My next one may be the Russet brown as for my Star I went with the dark seal brown aniline finish. My Type II Service shoes from At The Front are Russet so perhaps a second jacket is in order for my 51st birthday! LOL! (and so my addiction has begun I suppose!)

Edward

this was the description I read from Good Wear Leather about the Star Sportswear that lead me to choose it (albeit from Eastman). I imagine there may be other makes that are similar.
"The Star pattern is somewhat trim arount the waist, but very comfortable, because they designed the upper back to be wider than other A-2s. The inset sleeves afford excellent arm motion, so much so that the sleeves don't pull up much when sitting and reaching forward. The collar is cut lower in the front, and stays clear of the wearer's chin when sitting as well."
I'm not familiar with the fit of other A-2 jackets as this one is my first but I felt that description might be better suited for my shoulder width.

Steve27752

A nice Star, It needs a Name Tag;-) I would feel too self conscious wearing a painted jacket for every day use.

Edward

agreed. I'm going to break it in good before making a final decision on patches etc. I'm divorced since 2 years so going out on a date with a clean jacket may be better than a pinup girl on my jacket! :D Still.... it does add character.

B-Man2

Definitely adds character ....but 1st dates are difficult enough without explaining scantily clad women on the back of your jacket.;)