What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by Roughwear, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Technonut2112

Technonut2112 Active Member

I'm 5' 11.5", weigh around 185lbs, and consider myself 'fit'. ;) This 27752 fits well in the shoulders and chest, and provides just enough 'blousiness' over the waistband for the wartime look I enjoy. The upper sleeves are cut trimmer than other contracts I've owned before, which I also like. Overall, the jacket is quite comfortable to wear, and a very classy, well done pattern IMO. :)

Smithy likes this.
  2. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Many thanks Regius and Technonut for the advice. I've bulked up a bit in the upper body over the last couple of years so maybe by the sounds of it the 27752 isn't the right contract for me. I'm planning on going to Duxford this year so looks like I'll just have to try everything on in the ELC tent to find the right one!

Thanks once again guys.

3. coalman

coalman Member

T shirt this morning, nice and sunny :)

4. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

ELC will be at Flying Legends, a few of us are planning to meet outside the ELC marquee on Saturday.

ausreenactor and Smithy like this.
  5. MikeyB-17

MikeyB-17 Well-Known Member

There's a lot to be said for modern design sometimes. I have a Berghaus fleece, again, lots of pockets, (with zips), warm, lightweight and comfortable. No style, but you can't beat the practicality. I find that you can never have enough pockets, and most classic flight jackets don't have enough. The inside pocket in the G-1 is a big advantage over the A-2 for me. That being said, might go for my heavily battered Lee Stormrider today.

6. johnwayne

johnwayne Active Member

Barracuda G9 weather in London, or my denim loco jacket that the missus positively hates! If I want to up the stakes smart wise it'll be my A1, albeit it's not practical, the pockets are too small for my iPhone!!

7. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Many thanks for confirming that ELC will be there Steve. I've broached the subject with the missus and had no negative noises - helped by the fact I got a decent wedge back on the tax return.

Fingers crossed!

coalman likes this.
  8. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

I can completely sympathise with this Mikey. I have a Canada Goose parka (the Citadel model) and although it's not as cool as an old flying jacket, it makes up for it in useability. I used to think CG parkas were just a fashion statement until I moved back here and handled one. In terms of functionality in Arctic conditions they really are amazing, the materials, construction and attention to details in terms of how the jacket will be used are simply brilliant. And to top it off a lifetime warranty. Best modern jacket I have ever bought by a country mile.

MikeyB-17 likes this.
  9. ausreenactor

ausreenactor Well-Known Member

I'll get there one day... Army stopped giving us free trips...:(

10. Atticus

Atticus Well-Known Member

The absolute best vintage military jacket for my money is the old, Vietnam-era A-2 deck jacket. It has a very warm, fleece lining. Comfortable, well positioned, slash pockets. A large collar that can be turned up against the wind. A functional wind flap. Usable, effective cinch straps at the hem that actually keep the wind out. Thick, internal knit cuffs. And a snapped breast pocket that holds a cell phone nicely.

It's not the most striking jacket in the world, but its looks do call to mind its classic ancestor, the N-1. I wear one comfortably even in Wisconsin winters.

AF

11. Falcon_52

Falcon_52 Member

It is pretty chilly here this morning - clear skies and -2C. I had to go with the A-4 flight suit and and Lost Worlds B-2 for the motorcycle this morning. Of course this afternoon I will probably overheat on the way home.

Noel

12. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

Noel what bike do you ride , I have a 1985 1200 ltd gold wing it has 80,000 + its fuel injected . I have not ridden it yet this year .I paid $200 for it did a little work on it and got it back on the road . I do not want to get off topic so I will shut up .

BIP

13. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

When I ride my bike I wear a Motoport Kevlar HK jacket with protective padding,In my opinion best jacket out there for motorcycling .

BIP

14. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Rocking the old Good Wear goat Dubow today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

ahhh, yeah, that one. purrrfect.

16. Technonut2112

Perfect Spring weather for my W&G NA-1 (copy of the 37J1). VERY comfortable to wear. :) It may appear that I'm wearing no shirt, but it's a lazy Saturday morning, and I just threw on a 'wife-beater'... ;)

[​IMG]

Smithy and Roughwear like this.
  17. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Pre-War Wareings Irvin first thing this morning as it was a chilly start to the day.

Smithy likes this.
  18. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

I used to own a WG NA-1, looks like my old jacket? these are nice, fun, comfortable jackets!!! Looks great.

Me, jackets, wearing, NOTHING, "winter" is over, the shortest ever

Technonut2112 likes this.
  19. s4rmark

s4rmark Member

Indeed ,it was a chilly start to the morning . Selected jacket for this morning was a buzz Ricksons N-1 . Changed to an aero leather Bronco contract A-2 for the afternoon dog walk.

20. Technonut2112

I do believe you're correct.. I purchased it from the person that you sold it to on the FL. :) It really is a shame that W&G isn't around anymore. They had a nice selection of now hard to find gear. I'm hoping that I'll eventually get lucky, and have a pair of their 'mosquito' boots in my size / good condition pop-up on my saved eBay search one day. ;)

ausreenactor likes this.