• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happens to all our collections when we die..?

PADDY_M

Trying to be pragmatic and realistic here Gents. All those thousands of pounds worth you have spent in pulling together some great collections of vintage militaria (vintage flight wear; uniforms ...etc) that might have been thrown on the scrap heap otherwise. You saved these items to honour those that once wore them and hopefully future generations would not forget. But as we have seen in the past, people die and those left behind who do not hold the same interest or reverence for these items or have 'no idea' where they should go to, will often just throw them in a bin/dumpster as they hold no value to those individuals clearing away our belongings once we die.

So, what provision 'if any' have you made for all these wonderful items we share with each other here on VLJ..?

John Lever

I don't have originals but my repros are still valuable possibly more than originals. The issue of our secrecy when buying and selling could work against those family members that survive us. I have often thought that we might have ' seconds ' who could sell our jackets for us.
The best way I suppose is to list them as valuable items or a collection in our Will's.

daw

I know I'm going to be buried wearing one of them! Now just need to figure which one...

Smithy

Paddy, I'd like to think that if the objects are not necessarily wanted by the family and if money if not a problem gifting to an appropriate museum is always a good thing to do. But it's sometimes better to gift (or even loan) items to one which does not necessarily have an extensive collection. If you gift to some of the larger ones where they have multiple examples of the same artefact it will be merely stored and by that I mean put in an acid free box packed with acid free paper and stored in a temperature and humidity controlled storage area, often never to be seen (I do contract work for one of the national aviation museums here so know a little bit about how acquisitions are treated by museums).

Gauging family interest is a very good thing to start with. If you have something which is specifically historically unique or of importance you have to weigh up the monetary value (what such an item might bring at auction) to its perhaps need to be publically displayed and protected.

Just my thoughts on something which can be actually a bit of a thorny issue.

Smithy

I should also mention in the above that I was specifically referring to original items and not repros or replicas.

ausreenactor

I have two POCs that Tianna has been briefed on with regard to valuing and moving on what the kids don't want. My 'grouping' has become quite extensive and I even picked up another clasp for the Australian Service Medal this year. Hopefully all my stuff stays instead of getting traded away for Pokémon cards or LEGO..

Interesting topic...and certainly one that will get some of us 'documenting'...

coalman

I don't have any original flying clothing anymore but I do collect flying log books and have some very interesting ones in my collection.
As I don't buy to sell on I am hoping that by the time I kick the bucket my collection would be good enough to put on long term loan to the National Records Office, where they would be listed and available to any researcher, compared to loaning them to any museum who would simply put them on a shelf, unlisted so no one would know they are there.

John

PADDY_M

I was in an antique shop nearby the other day. In the space of 40 minutes (& maybe this is a reflection on people's economic circumstances or... maybe they don't care for family sentimentality) two separate parties came in asking if they could sell family medals and photos.
It saddened me.
The owner told me afterwards that he gets this ALL the time. Family history being pedalled for a quick buck. Often it's following a relations death and the house being cleared out.

CBI

Assuming (very hopefully) that I still have a few years left..................................my plan is to sell everything off well before it gets to the stage when having a collection(s) is a burden. There are aspects of collecting that I am already "over" and I am consistently letting go of more items than purchasing. I have greatly reduced my "stock" in certain areas of my collection. I plan on having just 2 or 3 leather and a handful of cloth jackets at "the end" most of which are not high dollar items. My main collection, aviation art prints is currently on the "I need to let them all go list" I have also given lots of items away to a local air museum and to some local friends who like historic aviation. It's so much fun collecting but in the end no matter the expense, it's just "stuff".

johnwayne

I've been told to list all my jackets with rough price! And, those attending my funeral must do so in a 'brown leather jacket'!!
Nice isn't it to be told in advance what everyone's plans are for your demise! In all seriousness as I've got older it has made me think about what I buy and what wear I might get out of it plus I hate to think I'd paid good money for something and then it ends up in a charity shop for some other lucky so an so to pick up what I've often hope I might find such a place!!!
Cheers
Wayne

dmar836

No kids, no nephews, no nieces. If my wife and I go at the same time, well. We've actually talked about leaving all our junk - house, planes, bikes, motos, etc. to our local church. Sure, few will know what to sell them for but we won't care anymore!
Dave

colekwok

Well, that explains why some of us got lucky on the bay..... The best is, start documenting them, especially for the originals, so that whoever finds them will at least have a rough idea of what they are. It is so easy to take pictures and attach them to documents these days.

dujardin

goodddddddd question ......

it depend of when , and also how i will die

nobody in my family have interest for my collection.

if i die suddenly ... and/or soon (lol) , my wife have my permission to sell everything .... she know exactly what i have and how much i paid for.

my idea is to sell everything when i will be around 70 or 80 years old and give the money i get back to my daughter.

it could be possible that i give some presents to a museum; or to a good friend having interest in USAAF

but for sure the value will not be lost

------------------------

gentssss, it's time to take your courage in two hands and tell your wife ..... about your little lies (hahahahaaaaaa)

robrinay

My wife gets everything if she outlives me and keeps my collections in trust for my kids and step kids. When we've both gone, my 'letter of wishes', is kept with my will. I tell my kids and step kids (through my executor), to choose whatever they want from my various collections and auction the rest. If two or more want the same item and they can't agree then they should bid for them at auction. All moneys raised will be shared equably between my kids and step kids. Any items chosen prior to auction will be counted as part of their share.

johnwayne

Morbid subject this but must say it has crossed my mind and I do have my jackets listed with approx values etc!