• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What dye to use?

asiamiles

I have a jacket that needs a good dye, but can anyone recommend what dye to use? I've looked in Tokyo Hands which has a fair amount of tools for use in making things with leather but I haven't found anything that looks like it would be suitable for dying a leather jacket, so looks like I might have to buy online...if the seller is not in Japan they must be willing to ship overseas.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
...if the seller is not in Japan they must be willing to ship overseas.

Oh yeah, dye is tricky to ship ... a local shoe repair shop should be able to help.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Oh yeah, dye is tricky to ship ... a local shoe repair shop should be able to help.

So the type of dye used for shoes is suitable for using on jackets?

John Lever

Miles,
Those chemical dyes have a very strong smell, and you may find it difficult to apply evenly without darker patches. I would use something more organic and gentle or even send it to a tannery for a real professional job.
There is a dye made from walnut shells called Van Dyke crystals. Available from antiques/craft suppliers. Soluble in warm water, the colour is a warm brown. With some experimentation you may be able to dye the jacket in the washer.