• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do oem zippers add in value?

A

Anonymous

I am getting an Eastman B6 jacket that has all 3 zippers that are original Conely (sp) zippers that the seller claimed added more value to its 930 GBP price, Is this fact or fiction?

Do they add any value at all?

Jason

For sure, original period zippers would add value to a repro jacket as it gets it 'closer' to the real thing. However, period fittings shouldn't be used as an excuse to over-inflate the value of a repro jacket.
Here's an idea for you to take a look at: dial up the various repro manufacturers' websites. Some offer original period zippers as an option, at extra cost. Use their extra costs as a guide to how much extra value they might add to the jacket you're looking at. Original zippers are getting harder to find these days; I bought a Talon for a B-3 restoration a few years ago, and paid USD $60 for it. I reckon you could be asked to hand over $100 for the same zipper now.

dmar836

So when you say "seller" does that mean it is already on the second hand market? If a private seller is asking more than the factory due to original zips, did he add them? If he's using the base price of a standard jacket then he might make sense but not if he is selling a used jacket and quoting new price points.
I would base my willingness to pay on what they are selling for on eBay and other sites (not what people ask but what they actually sell for - often- usually- a big difference).
Sure sounds high to me, OEM zips or not.
JMO,
Dave

handymike

I paid extra for an original 1939 Talon on my jacket. I wanted it that way, and I didn't ever think about re-sale value.