• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did pilots have in their A-2 pockets?

wop54

Hi Everybody! It seems that in every WW2 pics of flying personnel in their A-2s the pockets are empty...what did they carry around? There were rules to follow when on duty (i.e. no cigarettes or lighters...etc)? Thx for your answers! Cheers Carlo

bfrench

Administrator
wop54 said:
Hi Everybody! It seems that in every WW2 pics of flying personnel in their A-2s the pockets are empty...what did they bring in them? There were rules to follow when on duty (i.e. no cigarettes or lighters...etc)? Thx for your answers! Cheers Carlo

Hi, Carlos,

They probably carried the pocket note books for flight planning info - those books that were 5 1/2" x 4 " by 1/2" thick - and of course stuffing their goodies in there when off duty.

Bill French

dujardin

wop54 said:
Hi Everybody! It seems that in every WW2 pics of flying personnel in their A-2s the pockets are empty...what did they bring in them? There were rules to follow when on duty (i.e. no cigarettes or lighters...etc)? Thx for your answers! Cheers Carlo

helloooooooooo

that's a great question
never think to ask myself, but really good question
apart personnal item, what can we found in a pocket of an A2 ?????
good question, really good question

byeeeeee marcel

Andrew

A gentleman on the forum mentioned he once found a Zippo in one of his jackets- what a find. I only found a matchbook from the '70's from a now defunct radio station in my Perry.

One of my originals has the most distended pockets, and i've got a shot which I'm pretty certain is the same jacket being used. This guy really loved his pockets and used them! I often wonder what he carried around.

IMG_1277s.jpg

P4300163.jpg

CopyofJoeMarksWWIICrew.jpg

zoomer

Lightweight gloves, obviously.
Cigs and lighters when off duty. Most A-2s were worn off the flightline - many were never worn on the flightline.
Sunglasses.
Gum, candy, cotton balls, hankeys, pocket combs, prophylactics, pencils, pens...whatever an airman could own that was small enough to carry around in one.

khiattP-51

Similar to a wallet mark or 'Skoal ring' in the back pocket of an old pair of jeans, one of the originals in my collection has the distinct outline of a Zippo in both an upright and sideways position in the lower inside corner of the left pocket. I borrowed an old Zippo from a cigar smoking friend of mine had a small collection and it was a perfect match.

The type D-4 time and distance computers were also perfect sized for A-2 pockets.

The Zippo outline is visible in this picture. It's even more noticeable in person and is even raised up in the shape.

PocketsCompare.jpg

-Kevin