• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wet weather

MikeyB-17

Down here in Cornwall we’re currently suffering from the effects of our maritime climate, and it’s been chucking it down for the last fortnight, accompanied by strong winds. When working (festivals, filming etc.) or doing serious walking (cliffs or moorland), the 30’s designs go out the window and I break out the modern, lightweight stuff, Gore-tex, fleece and down, (same on the bike), but if I want to wear a flight jacket or anything else with a bit of old-fashioned style, I only have one option, the faithful Barbour Border. What does everyone else go for in the wet? Here’s me yesterday in the wind and rain at Perranporth, one of my favourite spots. Underneath the Barbour is my ELC A-2. Also sporting what has become my favourite ‘ball cap’, my recently re-waxed Barbour waxed cotton baseball cap.

508C53E2-DFBC-4493-B5A2-A86D8EA4BE92.jpeg
6F641D69-1C9D-4736-A756-DBA0743ACA72.jpeg

Otter

For non serious rain I use a Fjallraven smock No. 1 treated with Greenland wax. For anything more serious, out comes the Paramo !

B-Man2

Have a couple of Barbours and a Belstaff . Problem is that when it rains down here it’s 85F and too warm for those jackets .
Lightweight breathable Gortex jackets are the rain wear most used in this area .

Last edited:

bn1966

Wiltshire is also very wet and soggy, have also got out the Barbour Border worn with a Stetson waxed cap. Standing water / mud on some roads makes me glad I chopped in my Fiat Abarth for a Panda 4X4.

Lord Flashheart

Barbour Northumbria for the really grubby weather,
Beaufort with it's handy poachers pocket* for dressier ** days with mixed precipitation
and a Westmorland waxed gilet for it's thornproof qualities on days when it might shower now and then.

I wouldn't be without them. They really are my most sustainable clothing.

Hucklecote or Laksen tweed coat when I'm not expecting to go through a hedge backwards or over any barbed wire***

*who me? Heaven 'forefend...
** it's all relative
*** please see *

CombatWombat

For me its a old "MOD Plod" black ripstop smock,fantastic in the summer rainstorms we get.
In winter I wear a redyed Tantalus smock, due to it being the warmest smock I own (which also is amazing for canoeing, due to the mesh lining and mesh bottom pockets that drain water and sand)

Skyhawk

You guys are missing it! There is nothing better for bringing out the grain in leather than heavy rains. Just make sure and wear the jacket until it dries out before you take it off. I would be rotating through my collection and graining some serious patina during times like this.
Of course I am talking reproduction jackets. Originals should have patina already. If they don't, then keep them NOS and baby them.

Last edited:

Nickb123

When I picked up that peacoat, the rain just bounced off it that day. Surprised that the Kersey wool is somewhat rainproof. Woulda never thought.

B-Man2

When I picked up that peacoat, the rain just bounced off it that day. Surprised that the Kersey wool is somewhat rainproof. Woulda never thought.
If you guys ever wanted an Original USN Pea Coat , now’s the time to grab one .

See below

The history of the peacoat is deeply rooted in military and naval backgrounds. It is an iconic piece of Navy apparel and will soon be no longer. The Navy has made the decision to phase out the peacoat as a part of their 2018 budget deliberations.

Micawber

You guys are missing it! There is nothing better for bringing out the grain in leather than heavy rains. Just make sure and wear the jacket until it dries out before you take it off. I would be rotating through my collection and graining some serious patina during times like this.
Of course I am talking reproduction jackets. Originals should have patina already. If they don't, then keep them NOS and baby them.

I have always followed those rules, that said there are often times and situations where wearing repro WW2 flight jackets is not appropriate.

CombatWombat

I have always followed those rules, that said there are often times and situations where wearing repro WW2 flight jackets is not appropriate.
Well I mostly wear my flight jackets as a "commuting" jacket (I, like a lot of people who work in the heart of Sydney get the train/bus to work) so I've got hours to burn sitting in a chilly train carriage.
They tend to be comfortable for long trips.
They tend to keep the chill at bay without being overly warm
I can keep my wallet and phone within easy reach while seated
Plus they don't "stick out" like a fashionable MC jacket but aren't as sloppy as a hoodie on public transport (A2/A1 jackets are more "corporate casual" to most)
I find I pick up my A1 for the office side of my work and the A2 (G1 in winter) for the sitework I do.