• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Went down on my Harley at 70 mph yesterday

rgraham

Good work staying in one piece.

Could you fill me in a bit on just how you pulled this off. Staying in one piece that is. Were you consciously doing anything in particular, or just taking it as it came at you?

Also, just how did the bus hit you, and where on your bike? How did you manage to not get run over by other cars? And lastly, what would you do now to have been able to avoid the accident?

I ride as well, and looking down at the highway passing by under the bike at 70 looks like a belt sander. I hope my jacket holds up as well if ever the need arise.

rgraham said:
Good work staying in one piece.

Could you fill me in a bit on just how you pulled this off. Staying in one piece that is. Were you consciously doing anything in particular, or just taking it as it came at you?

Also, just how did the bus hit you, and where on your bike? How did you manage to not get run over by other cars? And lastly, what would you do now to have been able to avoid the accident?

I ride as well, and looking down at the highway passing by under the bike at 70 looks like a belt sander. I hope my jacket holds up as well if ever the need arise.
When the bus changed lanes into me luckily I reacted really fast and hit the brakes hard. I managed to just avoid getting hit by him but unfortunately my front brake locked up and the front of the bike slid out to the right and I went down on my left side. I think my early years of dirt bike riding and all of my racing experience taught me how to fall (I'm sure Peter knows what I'm talking about). I instinctively lifted my left leg so it wouldn't get smashed between the bike and the pavement. When I started to roll I kept my legs strait and tucked my arms in with my hands under my chin. It all worked because I walked away from it! I took my worse beating from the waist down because I was only protected by my Levi 501's. I have no injuries or even any soreness from the waist up because my leather jacket, gloves and helmet did a great job of protecting me. As far as how it could have been avoided all together, I tend to be a very aggressive rider. I need to start thinking about bringing it down a few notches. Haha! Whenever I have a passenger with me I ride much more conservatively. Had I had a passenger that day the accident most likely would have never happened because I wouldn't have been in such a hurry to get around the bus when he pulled out of the carpool lane then suddenly change back again.

Tommer45

Bill.. just saw this. Very glad you're okay. I know what it's like to go down. Great work tucking and rolling.. I award you an honorary stuntman patch. Glad you're still with us my man.

Tommer

MikeyB-17

Having UK weather to contend with, I usually wear a fabric armoured jacket and overtrousers, but in the Summer I have a pair of Hood kevlar-lined jeans which I think are fantastic. They're very comfortable, cool and even have armour at the knees and hips, which is quite unobtrusive. OK, not your LVC level of authenticity, but they still look pretty good. I've thankfully never had occasion to test them out for real, but I'm confident they'd protect you a darn sight better than a standard pair of denim jeans. If I was doing the sort of riding you boys in the US do, I'd seriously think about a pair-several companies are making them these days.

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/

http://www.dragginjeans.net/

Marv

Glad you're ok Bill and shame about the Harley, I must say that the ELC Roadstar looks surprisingly like your Sears Oakbrook....just an observation I thought I'd through there. ;)