• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Went down on my Harley at 70 mph yesterday

A tour bus clanged lanes into me and took me out at 70 mph yesterday. I hit the pavement hard and slid for a short distance then tumbled for what seemed like forever. When I finally came to a stop I stood up right away and thought "Damn! I'm still in one piece!". My 50 year old Sears Oakbrook jacket did an amazing job of protecting me! It is pretty scuffed up but did not wear through anywhere! I'll post pictures of it soon. My Harley is completely destroyed. It tumbled down the freeway shedding parts all over the freeway. I feel very lucky to have walked away from such a catastrophic crash. My Sears Oakbrook jacket rocks!

dujardin

hello Bill,

sorry to read your bad encounter and terrific end of your bike.
but the most important is that you're alive without injuries.
hold your jacket as a fetish one.
did you intend to restore your nice Harley?
or maybe to replace her?
take good care of you Bill
byeeeeee marcel

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Yes, just glad that you're okay ... :shock:

And let the forum know if you need witnesses ... we can do a great bus load of tourists.

Andrew

70mph! Bill you're lucky to be still kicking at all. Well done for such a snappy landing and it's a wonder you didn't lose some bark from somewhere.

I love the idea of bikes but i've fallen off everyone i've ever ridden. Hope it doesn't affect your relationship with them.

watchmanjimg

Glad to hear you're OK, Bill. I'm also very impressed with the Oakbrook's performance, although I'm not surprised. After all, that's what it was built for. :D

Falcon_52

I am so glad you are alright, Bill. I can't even imagine what a crash at 70mph feels like. I low-sided my old motorcycle at 30mph and thought it was bad but 70mph?! :shock:

People always ask me why I wear leather on the Triumph even at the height of summer; just for occasions like yours. You just never know.

Take care,

Noel

Atticus

Ummm....tour bus, you say?

...As in big, rich tour bus company?

...And you say the tour bus driver made some unsafe movement that a jury could find to have been negligent?

...And that big, rich tour bus company's driver's negligent movement was the proximate cause of your terrible, life-altering crash?

...So tell me...isn't your neck hurting right now and can I send you my business card?

AF

Peter Graham

Been there Bill. I'm sure you're gutted about your Harley but at least you walked away. Bikes aren't dangerous. Other asshole road users are. Claim off the MF and buy a new Harley. I'm glad you're OK and let's see some pics of the roadrash jacket. :)

jack aranda

Darn kids! Racing around on those infernal machines! Don't you know you'll poke your eye out! I'm glad as all get-out you're okay, Bill. When does the video hit utube?

Swing

Atticus said:

...And you say the tour bus driver made some unsafe movement that a jury could find to have been negligent?

...And that big, rich tour bus company's driver's negligent movement was the proximate cause of your terrible, life-altering crash?

...So tell me...isn't your neck hurting right now and can I send you my business card?

AF

One of the funniest posts I've read here in a while! ;)

Glad to hear you're okay Bill.

~Swing

Atticus said:

AF
Typical Lawyer! :lol: I'd hire you in a heartbeat Geoff but unfortunately he never saw me and just kept going. I never saw any markings on the bus. I have no idea who it belonged to.

Oh yeah, back to my original reason for posting... What a great job my 50 year old Sears Oakbrook did keeping me in one piece!

Here is what it looked like before the accident....

147851456_XNxeg-L.jpg

147851464_QpU9P-L.jpg

and after....

715619370_nRZQm-L.jpg

I initially landed on my left side and slid for a little ways before I started tumbling.

715619490_wugJW-L.jpg

Notice the vertical lines? That's from the rain grooves in the pavement.

715619677_dvdj3-L.jpg

The zipper on the left sleeve was damaged.

715619858_QYxVH-L.jpg

The right sleeve got scuffed when I started to tumble.

715620165_rfFKT-L.jpg

This little 1/4 inch hole was the only spot that wore all the way through.

715619983_hR4t5-L.jpg

Not bad when you think that this jacket went sliding and tumbling down the pavement at 70 mph!

I wish Sears still made moto jackets!

Andrew

At least it's still wearable and it has battle scars to be worn with pride. Scary to imagine what effect it would have had on unprotected human hide.

Vcruiser

sealbeachbum said:
I wish Sears still made moto jackets!

Just Pacard it...get your broken wing patch...tarnished good luck Capri bell dangling earring and throw a leg over a new Hawg..for cripes sakes!...