Wear 'em Hard! - Part 2

Discussion in 'Repros' started by dmar836, Apr 17, 2018.

1. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

How I spent my afternoon. Helping a buddy with the wing attach AD on his Pitts.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Dave

Geeboo, jack31916, ButteMT61 and 6 others like this.
  2. jeremiah

jeremiah Active Member

awesome. I put myself through college working at a small town FBO. working on trainers and doing bi-annuals and annuals on private aircraft. Could have used a good A2 back then during those cold GA winter days in the hanger.

Pilot and dmar836 like this.
  3. Dom

Dom New Member

Awesome!! TIG welding in your A2! Closest I have come is to wear my GW while flying the biplane. I cringed a bit feeling it scrape and catch on stuff, but I just remember all the threads saying to wear them hard.

dmar836 and Pilot like this.
  4. Dom

Dom New Member

Also on a side note..gotta love TIG, I remember my Dad doing that same kind of repair welding with an OXY/Acet torch setup 25 years ago with me acting as fire guard keeping wet towels on the fabric...times have changed!

dmar836 and Pilot like this.
  5. dmar836

I like torch welding but collateral damage is minimized with tig. I'm also less likely to blow a hole with tig as you can control the power. I was using the side of my foot on the pedal but still...
    Glad Johnny wears a parachute!
    Dave

Pilot likes this.
  6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Wow! even if TIG welding does not spark ( as long as all goes OK)...but if..the A-2 may get freckles...at least...
    Hope it will never happen

Thomas Koehle and dmar836 like this.
  7. jack31916

jack31916 Active Member

That's the way to treat a jacket Dave!

No hard feelings of a stain or a scratch more or less.

I did about the same with my old (but once new) Sefton A2 jacket and it's still my most favourite replica :)

dmar836 and Skip like this.
  8. dmar836

Funny, mine looks good in pics but is starting to wear through at the cuff attachment seam and of course the lining at the collar. It still works!!
    Dave

9. dmar836

My buddy with this plane was on the USA aerobatic team a year or two ago. but a Pitts just isn't competitive in worldwide competition. He's quite an accomplished pilot. I like flying with him.
    Dave