• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wear 'em Hard! - Part 2

dmar836

How I spent my afternoon. Helping a buddy with the wing attach AD on his Pitts.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Dave

jeremiah

awesome. I put myself through college working at a small town FBO. working on trainers and doing bi-annuals and annuals on private aircraft. Could have used a good A2 back then during those cold GA winter days in the hanger.

Dom

Awesome!! TIG welding in your A2! Closest I have come is to wear my GW while flying the biplane. I cringed a bit feeling it scrape and catch on stuff, but I just remember all the threads saying to wear them hard.

Dom

Also on a side note..gotta love TIG, I remember my Dad doing that same kind of repair welding with an OXY/Acet torch setup 25 years ago with me acting as fire guard keeping wet towels on the fabric...times have changed!

dmar836

I like torch welding but collateral damage is minimized with tig. I'm also less likely to blow a hole with tig as you can control the power. I was using the side of my foot on the pedal but still...
Glad Johnny wears a parachute!
Dave

jack31916

That's the way to treat a jacket Dave!

No hard feelings of a stain or a scratch more or less.

I did about the same with my old (but once new) Sefton A2 jacket and it's still my most favourite replica :)

dmar836

Funny, mine looks good in pics but is starting to wear through at the cuff attachment seam and of course the lining at the collar. It still works!!
Dave

dmar836

My buddy with this plane was on the USA aerobatic team a year or two ago. but a Pitts just isn't competitive in worldwide competition. He's quite an accomplished pilot. I like flying with him.
Dave