• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

Pilot

Partially agree....not same use and purpose...
The Beobachteruhr ( B-Uhr) was worn over a flight suit...the Hanhart/Tutima under a sleve of a Fliegerbluse or a Kanaljacke or Fliegerjacke...
Besides...
...all the Ww2 ( and later) mechanical & automatic ...Flight/Pilot/ Navigational watches were designed and engineered for pilots/flying crews...hence suitable for flight/cockpit use... they had to be anti-magnetic...( lots of radiation sources in cockpits...)Nowadays lookalikes and immitations are good and handy for sofa-pilots and would not last a minute ( with an acceptable accuracy or functions working) in the WW2 cockpits filled with electromagnetic radiating...same in nowadays highly electronic cockpits...
Only a few of nowadays watches keep their “ promisses” in matter of reliability and accuracy... ( if exposed to magnetic radiating of a PC , Smartphone, etc..pe.) almost all watches shown here would fail and run faster or slower ( minutes per hour) ...since no anti-magnetic shielding...Only a few would pass...Would pass...the Omega Speedy, almost all A-11 ( if shielded) , the Tudor’s, the Rolex’s, the Sinn’s....run OK even if exposed for longer time to radio or magnetic currents.....all others...hmmm ...Enjoy them anyway, since very fashionable.

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

Anyone having a Glycine Airman Vietnam war area...?
A Holy Gral to me...
I had one-working spring hack and all. TBH it lost out in the ‘which watch shall I wear today?’ competition to my Speedmaster every time, and eventually I sold it because it never got worn. I only wish I’d kept it because it’s probably worth a shed load more now than what I sold it for. That 24-hour dial was a prize pain in the arse to read, and the second crown for the bezel kept falling off.

Pilot

BE309303-369C-4388-980A-BBE4CD1A8551.jpeg
I had one-working spring hack and all. TBH it lost out in the ‘which watch shall I wear today?’ competition to my Speedmaster every time, and eventually I sold it because it never got worn. I only wish I’d kept it because it’s probably worth a shed load more now than what I sold it for. That 24-hour dial was a prize pain in the arse to read, and the second crown for the bezel kept falling off.
Agree, the Speedy is easyer to read...but the Glycine Airman is designed for a constant time zone change and for pilots with a 100% eye sight...Mine is minty and none of the two crowns falls off. I have all its paperwork and wodden box.
For me the older Glycine AM’s are worth an investment.
Bought it from a ret. USAF Col. a few years ago incl. all his WW2 uniforms and other military watches.
The RMC Japan Stagg B-10 is a few hours old , found it today.

Last edited:

Pilot

My dad's original Bulova that he was issued in 1942. Still runs perfectly after 76 years. Its small size is also an advantage as it doesn't get caught up in the knits.
Absolutely right...Wear it with pride...Honor and remember all those who served...

zoomer

My Mougin & Piquard Grande Seconde is a 30s design (edit: possibly lifted from Laco of Germany), used by doctors as well as pilots because the seconds are on the outside of the dial. I like a stainless mesh band but it looks great with leather as you can tell.
(edit: don't buy these new if you like the looks - look for a used one on eBay. the markup is terrific new. mine was a gift, thankfully. -z)
Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 2.28.10 PM.png

There's also a chronograph. Both it and the Seconde are available with black or buff dials. They are made by Tourneau in Switzerland.
collection_watch3_lg.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 2.21.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 2.21.53 PM.png
    239.5 KB · Views: 210
  • image.png
    image.png
    271.2 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Stony

Here are pictures of the front and back of my father's Bulova that he was issued during the war. I found it in some of his personal effects after he passed away in the early 80s. As you can see, there is a shadow on the face from the hands, probably from the radium which had been gone by the time I found it. I had it gone through at a vintage watch repair shop in Seattle and it has run perfectly ever since. There was no band with it and the first one I put on it was an NOS OD cloth one. It currently has a flex band that works really well.

Bulova%20front_zpscifnoydm.jpg

Bulova%20back_zps58opra2d.jpg

dmar836

Stony,
What was his position that got him that “ordinance” watch? I’m assuming officer, no?
Dave

Greg Gale

I realized that my favorite automatic Laco B-uhr was too thick to go under my A-2's knits. So I took this cheap, old, beaten-up quarz A-uhr copy (Kienzle Aviator), and attached it to a khaki strap - fits much more comfortably!

IMG_0490.jpg

zoomer

Comparing your B-Uhr to my Grande Seconde, I see where one got the idea from the other...but I wonder which one?

zoomer

Watch geeks are skeptics about the current M&Ps, calling them a "cash grab." So it wouldn't be a surprise if the dial were lifted from Laco or anyone else. (Vintage M&Ps are, apparently, far from collectible owing to their lack of reputation.)

Mine, btw, was a gift, but I've had the movement replaced for about what a lightly used example would cost on eBay. Hey, I'd rather fix stuff than throw it out, anyway. It's good looking and when it worked, it worked well.

Last edited:

ties70

Greg,

just like the watch, the guitar is my "poor man's version" of the Gibson: It's a Vintage Icon V100, very much like this one:

IMG_5218_1024x1024.JPG

Mine is less aged...or was less aged to be precise. I have polished it, to reverse the lifeless, dull finish it originally had.

Ties