• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was there an A-9 Flight Jacket?

watchmanjimg

I'm not terribly versed in WW2 cloth flying gear, but I think the "A" prefix was exclusive to trousers by the time these items were produced. Pretty sure the nomenclature of the corresponding parkas began with a "B," as did the intermediate jackets like the B-10 and B-15.

CBI

yes, I guess I did see the pics in the American Flight Jackets book but it looks like the B-10 on the page next to it (both in a darker green). The A-9 has stitched eps but I was thinking someone might have field mod'ed it that way. I sure wish there was a pic of a label. Yes, a great price. Maybe we can look at it as a dark green B-10 (as some seemed to have existed) and call it a day.

CBI

any more ideas anyone? if this forum group doesn't know, I guess no one else will??????

CBI

there is reference to an A-9 jacket on page 38 of Maguire's "American Flight Jackets" book. 2 photos of the same jacket, a very dark green B-10 looking jacket. Photo captions:

"Detail showing the very dark OD cotton material and stitched on epaulet of the type A-9 jacket"

and

"The AAF issue type A-9 jacket was apparently a predecessor of the B-10 jacket but little is known about it"

a2jacketpatches

Picture says a thousand words but in this case a simple snapshot of the label with just a few words would beat it. I hear there's a lot of flaws in these books and this could be one of them. To omit the label with such little known of the jacket is odd IMO.

CBI

could very well be a civi jacket or just a darker B-10 with the field mod eps. I know any sort of OD clothing item in WW2 saw many shade variations. Sometimes, quite significant.

watchmanjimg

a2jacketpatches said:
Picture says a thousand words but in this case a simple snapshot of the label with just a few words would beat it. I hear there's a lot of flaws in these books and this could be one of them. To omit the label with such little known of the jacket is odd IMO.

I agree. I'm beginning to wonder if the sole inspiration for the repro was the example in the Maguire book. Here's a link to what is stated as a repro A-9 but whose label actually reads . . . B-10:

http://centrohistoricooverlord.com.br/s ... -wwii-a-9/

I must say that I find the absence of any pictures of the purported A-9's label highly suspect as this would be the most conclusive proof of its existence as such.