• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was there a predominate A-2 contract?

C.J.

Hi, all.
I see lots of jackets by different makers in old photos and some makers always seemed to be more numerous than others. It seems Aero's and Roughwears are shown often in some of the old pictures. But, was there a certain contract that was huge compared to others used in the war, like the 16160, 21996 or the 27752?

Thanks,

Roughwear

It would be be great to be able to know the size of different contracts awarded to each maker. There has been discussion about the size of contracts sometime ago on an earlier version of this forum. It is often said that Aero and Rough Wear were awarded the largest contracts, but I guess those awarded in the War, as opposed to before the War were the larger such as the RW 27752 contract. The RW W535ac16159, 1401p and 23380 contracts were most likely smaller going on the number of surviving jackets that come up for sale. John Chapman mentions the Aero 21996 and 42-15142 as large contracts. The Dubow 27798 contract was a huge contract and the largest awarded to this manufacturer.

Robman

Just by looking on ebay, the largest amount I have noticed are the Aero 15142 and the Rough Wear 27752.

I would definitely say next is the 27798 Dubow. Lots of Perrys and Broncos too.

Geir

Has anyone ever checked to see if any of the correspondence between the AAF and the various manufacturers has survived in official archives?