• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Factory/Manufacturer Photos?

ZackBaughman

Hello,
I'm working on a museum exhibit about WWII A-2 flying jackets and have been trying to hunt down any wartime or perhaps mid to late 1930s photos of jackets being produced in the factory. The individual manufacturer doesn't really matter for this purpose. Does anyone know of any such photos?

Many thanks!

Zack Baughman
Volunteer Coordinator/Curator
Military Aviation Museum
Virginia Beach, VA

blackrat2

Might be worth contacting Eastman or Goodwear to see if they have any info/pics..certainly Gary might be able to help

Juanito

Here's one of a woman sewing leather facing on what is likely and USAAC jacket at the Aero Factory:

You can get a little more detail here: https://www.loc.gov/item/2012646111/

I hate to even bring this up, but I vaguely remember Stuart at Lost Worlds either claimed to have some of the original machinery or had someone working with him that actually worked at Dubow in Chicago as well as some of the historical documentation. Then again I may be confusing this with Avedon over at W&G as both are known to exaggerate and make highly questionable claims. This was in the 1990s when I was really into the history of the manufacturing and facilities and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Secondarily, it would not surprise me if Charles DiSipio of Nose Art Unlimited, sorry, I mean History Preservation Associates, has some of this.

Last edited:

Happy Hooligan

Here's one of a woman sewing leather facing on what is likely and USAAC jacket at the Aero Factory:

You can get a little more detail here: https://www.loc.gov/item/2012646111/

I hate to even bring this up, but I vaguely remember Stuart at Lost Worlds either claimed to have some of the original machinery or had someone working with him that actually worked at Dubow in Chicago as well as some of the historical documentation. Then again I may be confusing this with Avedon over at W&G as both are known to exaggerate and make highly questionable claims. This was in the 1990s when I was really into the history of the manufacturing and facilities and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Secondarily, it would not surprise me if Charles DiSipio of Nose Art Unlimited, sorry, I mean History Preservation Associates, has some of this.
Looks like she's using a Singer 112 on that double seam, and there is a Reece 101 Keyhole or Eyelet behind her.

ties70

Great series of photos. I knew there had to be more taken when the photographer was there.

But besides that the LOC does have remarkably few information on this issue....I have tried a search for "Dubow - Rough Wear - Cable Raincoat - ...." and got absolutely no hits. I expected wartime production, especially for government contracts, to be well-documented....

Ties