• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

warmth factor

tgd31968

I have decided to buy a B-3. I live in Michigan, and normally it runs about 20 F here in the winter. Can get much lower, below zero, but usually in the 15-20 F range.

I don't normally spend extended periods outside, usually just going from car to house, office etc. I do spend a lot of time driving.

I am concerned that a B-3 will be too warm for my normal wear, and Aero tells me they have made many b-3's with b-6/d-1 weight sheep. I am thinking that might be a smarter way to go, but I was hoping to get some feed back as to what anyone else is wearing and what they think.

Thanks,
TD.

Vcruiser

I live in central Indiana. Temps can run very similar to what you mentioned. I've had a couple B-3s..and found them too sweltering for me. I don't tend to walk around in winter weather much either. I have an Aero B-6 that I wear in the cold that suits my tastes better.
Van

tgd31968 said:
I have decided to buy a B-3. I live in Michigan, and normally it runs about 20 F here in the winter. Can get much lower, below zero, but usually in the 15-20 F range.

I don't normally spend extended periods outside, usually just going from car to house, office etc. I do spend a lot of time driving.

I am concerned that a B-3 will be too warm for my normal wear, and Aero tells me they have made many b-3's with b-6/d-1 weight sheep. I am thinking that might be a smarter way to go, but I was hoping to get some feed back as to what anyone else is wearing and what they think.

Thanks,
TD.

HI, TD.,

I HAVE TWO AERO B-3's, AND WEAR THEM ALL THE TIME HERE IN CALIFORNIA, DURING THE WINTER MONTHS.

I'm in the burbs, so it gets a little colder than the city. As you know, it does not get real cold in California that much...where you are at, yes, indeed!

At any rate, the B-3's I possess, the fleece part, isn't so compact, thick, if you will. I have the newer models. I don't think you'll be "swealtering" in it at all. Now, I sweat easy, and too many layers of anything will pose problems; however, in the winter months here, I don't have any probs sweatin' in my B-3...

My other B-3's, hand made ones, I bought in South Korea recently when visiting the U.S. Osan Air Force Base...K-55, are thick and soild, WHICH DO MAKE ME SWEAT.

FLY NAVY!

MikeyB-17

I've got an Aero B-3 too, and I've been surprised at how I can get away with wearing it in temperatures where you'd think it would be too hot-inside shops for instance. If it's really cold, I need something warm underneath it-some say you can wear 'em with just a t-shirt underneath and still be warm, but I've not found that to be the case. I can get considerably hotter in something with knit cuffs that don't let the warm air out. I don't find mine as hot and sweltering as some people seem to-plenty warm enough, but not excessively so.

John Lever

A B-3 isn't the jacket I would wear to keep warm. They are too thick and cumbersome to be comfortable for extended periods and the neck fastening is restrictive. If warmth is the main issue, then go for down . But is you want to wear one because you like them for what they are and represent, then wear it over a t shirt and nothing else. I can wear one here in southern England from Autumn until Spring. Winter temperatures often go down to - 5 deg. C here at night and can hover around zero C during the day. The really monster thick Lost Worlds is tiring to wear while driving, but it is just possible with all the windows down.
I think Gibsons and Barnes make a light weight B3 that might be perfect for regular wear. In my experience short pile shearlings hang differently from the standard types and a B3 might look odd.

tgd31968

John Lever said:
A B-3 isn't the jacket I would wear to keep warm. They are too thick and cumbersome to be comfortable for extended periods and the neck fastening is restrictive. If warmth is the main issue, then go for down . But is you want to wear one because you like them for what they are and represent, then wear it over a t shirt and nothing else. I can wear one here in southern England from Autumn until Spring. Winter temperatures often go down to - 5 deg. C here at night and can hover around zero C during the day. The really monster thick Lost Worlds is tiring to wear while driving, but it is just possible with all the windows down.
I think Gibsons and Barnes make a light weight B3 that might be perfect for regular wear. In my experience short pile shearlings hang differently from the standard types and a B3 might look odd.

I definitely want one because of what it is. I have wanted one since watching movies as a kid. Warmth is a factor, but only because with my winter habits I am concerned about a b-3 being TOO warm. however, Aero tells me that they trim the fleece, and they can run anywhere from 1/2" to 1" thick after trimming.
I wore my USA A-2 last winter, and most days found myself shivering when I got to my car. Even with a hooded sweatshirt I noticed the cold. So far, it seems to be running 50-50 about being too warm vs just right.

TD.

A

Anonymous

PENSACOLA said:
tgd31968 said:

Thanks,
TD.

HI, TD.,

I HAVE TWO AERO B-3's, AND WEAR THEM ALL THE TIME HERE IN CALIFORNIA, DURING THE WINTER MONTHS.

I'm in the burbs, so it gets a little colder than the city. As you know, it does not get real cold in California that much...where you are at, yes, indeed!

At any rate, the B-3's I possess, the fleece part, isn't so compact, thick, if you will. I have the newer models. I don't think you'll be "swealtering" in it at all. Now, I sweat easy, and too many layers of anything will pose problems; however, in the winter months here, I don't have any probs sweatin' in my B-3...

My other B-3's, hand made ones, I bought in South Korea recently when visiting the U.S. Osan Air Force Base...K-55, are thick and soild, WHICH DO MAKE ME SWEAT.

FLY NAVY!

This place made B-3's that looked good for the price. www.oxfordleathershop.com

A

Anonymous

Cheap price for nice nose art painting on the back, 163.00

A

Anonymous

Yes I saw some of that artwork on jackets in the shop. It was first class art work, the jackets seemed about par with POP's Leather. The B-3 was the best, wish I got one now as they were a great price.

A

Anonymous

Question is would they do your jacket for about 200.00 if your not buying direct, just a thought.

Grant

If you're considering a B-3 you might want to check out the ELC RW redskin. I bought mine second hand from a buddy a couple years ago and find it very comfortable and warm.
ELCB-3.jpg
ELCB-3backII.jpg

tgd31968

The ELC looks nice, but $800 for the aero is already breaking the bank. If I could find Aero or ELC used in size 42, I would have already bought it.

TD

John Lever

tgd31968 said:
The ELC looks nice, but $800 for the aero is already breaking the bank. If I could find Aero or ELC used in size 42, I would have already bought it.

TD
Mark Moye has one up for $600' ish

A

Anonymous

On the web site you can E mail the owner. He took about a day to get back to me.