• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warm Water Treated Sleeves Experiment

442RCT

After reading some of the advice contained therein this forum, I decided to experiment with one of my crap A-2 "styled" repro jackets. This jacket has no label, it's a thin lightweight moo hide that has been processed to look, 'pre-distressed', yet it creaks, squeaks and not at all soft or pliable...in other words it's a cheap jacket made with cheap stiff leather. I've tried softening this jacket with various conditioners, leather oil, and tumbling it with softballs in a dryer, none of it seemed to do much to work the leather into submission. My wife's cat will gleefully claw my ELC, but deems it beneath her station to bother unsheathing her claws on this tawdry leather jacket. The best feature about this jacket is that it has a one piece back for me to paint on and not worry if I've screw it up.

I'm guessing it's a size 'Medium', the body fits me fine, but the sleeves were meant for a knuckle dragger, they're about 2-3 inches too long. The cuffs disappear when I wear the jacket as the leather sleeves form a tube over them. I guess if I were built like a 145 pound chimp, the jacket would be a perfect fit.

I usually would take this jacket to a seamstress to adjust the sleeve length, but in this case, the tailoring bill would be more than what I paid for the jacket.

So after reading about warm water tailoring, I decided to give it a try. I would soak the sleeves in warm water, and tumble dry the jacket with a bunch of towels. And, voila, the sleeves would shrink to fit.

I'd put so many coats of leather conditioner and Obenauf's leather oil on the sleeves to anti-creak them, they were pretty much water proof. Water just ran off the leather, like a newly waxed car. I ended up using dish soap to break the surface tension and continued to run hot water on the sleeves until I felt the rayon lining become wet. After I pretty much soaked the leather, I placed the jacket with a bunch of towels in a dryer set at high. When I pulled the dried jacket out...the sleeves were still the same length as they were before. If anything came from tumble drying the jacket under high heat, it squeaks and creaks even worse than before, I guess the heat and the towels leached what oils and conditioners I'd lubed the jacket with before. I can re-lube the jacket again, (not with Obenauf's Leather Oil - it gave the jacket an unpleasant odor). I may or may not try 'washing' the whole jacket, or soak the sleeves for a longer period of time before drying the jacket.

442RCT

jacketimp said:
avoid....

blow torches...........

ovens.........

furnaces......

This jacket isn't a LW, but so far it's been pretty bomb proof...my cats won't even go near it ;)

John Lever

Try a steam press or steam generator on the sleeves. Please give more info. on Obenauf's Leather Oil.
Thanks,

442RCT

John Lever said:
Try a steam press or steam generator on the sleeves. Please give more info. on Obenauf's Leather Oil.
Thanks,

I went to my local leather specialty shop to find some type of leather conditioner to soften and de-squeak this el-cheapo A-2 lookalike jacket I have. He recommended the Obenauf product to me. Before I bought it, I went home and googled it: http://www.obenaufs.com/oil.php. I then went back and bought a bottle of the leather oil. I found out you can coat an entire jacket with a teaspoon of the stuff, and a little goes a very long way. The Obenauf Oil sorta worked, the leather did become a little softer and as I found out extremely waterproof. One of my primary concerns with this stuff is that it leaves a an unpleasant odor on the jacket. So if you coat a pair of boots with it, then it doesn't matter. If you use it on a jacket, then the smell is the deal killer.

Thanks for the steam generator idea, I happen to have a Scunci Steamer, didn't think of using it on a jacket. :idea: