• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

W&G AN6552 with Korean war HU-1 patches

bazelot

I got this jacket recently and it is just incredible. It has 3 patches related to HU-1 and probably saw a ton of cockpit time in a rescue helicopter in Korea. HU-1 was the first Navy Helicopter rescue Unit (http://www.hu1.vacau.com/pages/history.htm).
The jacket was refurbished probably at the end of WWII at NAS Denver. The lining was replaced but oddly enough they put the label back. The waistband and knits were also replaced but they put the waistband upside down (I saw it done on many refurbished jackets). Zipper was never replaced and is original to the jacket. THe jacket in its current patched condition never had a nametag. The shadow nametag comes from before the refurbish.

Picture of HU-1 in Korea:

Beautiful jacket. Being a Navy helicopter pilot I can appreciate it more since it was worn by someone in one of the first Navy helicopter squadrons.

Maverickson

Silver Surfer said:
ive seen the refurbished upside down waistband a coupla times, myself. what do ya suppose that was about?

In the past, I've owned a couple of these refurbished USN flight jackets with improperly installed waistbands. It is my experience that more often than not those refurbished jackets had their waistband knits installed inside out rather than upside down!

Kind of gives those jackets that more smooth or folded waistband look rather than the correct rib-rack!

Cheers, Dave

oose

Found this and thought I'd add it here. USS Manchester’s helicopter flown by ENS Paul Johnson, 1952

All the best
Stu

bazelot

That's a great picture Stu, thanks for sharing it with us. At first I thought it was my jacket :). Where did you find it?

ausreenactor

Impressive jacket and GREAT patches. I had to scroll up to check the jacket pic and the KW period pic.. The original owner probably knew the guy in the pic! That is fantastic..

Couchy