• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VN Parachute score today

a2jacketpatches

Picked this up for 35 bucks today at the swap meet. I found a 64 on the buckle while I was purchasing so pretty sure it's VN era. Any help with exact ID would be greatly appreciated.

a2jacketpatches

I believe it's an NB-6, the same type D.B. Cooper jumped with and someone on Ebay states that SR-71 Pilots used them as well.

Hey! That's it! Not sure what I was thinking about the swap meet story, that was a beenie baby. I peeled this parachute off a skeleton while fly fishing at Lake Merwin. Thought I had a big one as I reeled it in, but to my surprise!

Ya Ya, That's the ticket! That's my Ebay story!

:lol:

bebel

It"s not a pilot chute. It has chest rings for emergency chest parachute.

This one is from the 50s serie 50C7024-xx. Dash "xx" is the number which specifies the model and then, the use. This serie was called "B-4".

50C7024-09 or -10 are automatic versions for for pilots with the C-09 canopy and F-1A automatic release.

At the late 50s and in the 60s, the model for pilot was the -18 and -22. These ones are the good version for a Vietnam war pilot impression. But be aware that there are some differents variations in these. All are not for fighter pilot.

About 1954/55, these ones were replaced by -11, -12,-13 and later-14. The design was different. We can easily see that with the new pack design and the only one "Capewell" release system of the canopy on the left shoulder.

I'm looking one complete since some years! These parachutes are amongst the most difficult pilots equipments to get in a collection. Also to know what exact model we do get for the good use.

Franck

a2jacketpatches

Thanks Franck,

But I'm a little confused now. What model is this? And what was it used for? Is it a rare item? I just bought it to sell, a little to big and bulky for me to keep around.

ausreenactor

Our parachute dispatchers and instructors wear/wore a freefall rig for a rare situation where they exited the aircraft inadvertently (fell out). It could also be an SF world item... HALO etc...

Couchy

bebel

Looking for in my documentation, I believe that your could be one of the HALO, rescue parachute series or for training.

Air Force didn't seem to have this one.

What I can say is that it's a manually deployed, without automatic release. The manual handle is at the right harness, that seems a bit strange. Any personal customization?

Is there any label or marking on you? What's the color of the canopy?

Franck

a2jacketpatches

No markings that I can find, not sure about personalization, and the canopy is medium blue. Couchy mentioned HALO but I couldn't find much looking it up. I'm sure somebody out there knows for sure and like I said, I just bought it to sell. Here's the Ebay listing with more and better pictures. It shows the canopy color and better close-ups.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291225852621?ss ... 1555.l2649

watchmanjimg

I'm very surprised there are no visible markings whatsoever. I don't know much about parachutes but to me it looks like an NB-6 or NB-8. Good score for the money in any case.

Phantomfixer

Seems to me USAF D rings were on the left for standardization...but they were sometimes handstitched/tacked in place for the user...the wooden handle on shoulder strap? and the blue chute...looks like a mil spec rig (B-4???) then mod by a civvy for skydiving....still a cool piece for the $$$ good luck with the sale,,,I thought I saw Steve Austin use this same rig once....

Old USAF parachutes are getting hard to find

bebel

Phantomfixer said:
Seems to me USAF D rings were on the left for standardization...but they were sometimes handstitched/tacked in place for the user...the wooden handle on shoulder strap? and the blue chute...looks like a mil spec rig (B-4???) then mod by a civvy for skydiving....still a cool piece for the $$$ good luck with the sale,,,I thought I saw Steve Austin use this same rig once....

Old USAF parachutes are getting hard to find

I agree with Phantomfixer. Accordingly with that I could get, it would be an US Army set later modified for civilan skydiving as it has often been made with this model of parachute. I didn't find anything about on such a set in Air Force parachutes nomenclature. I've look for in the Dan Poynter's "Parachute Manual". But didn't get anything corresponding at 100% to this one.

It's often impossible reading any marking on these old sets as they have been erased after have been many using. It makes more difficult to identify exactly the type of the set.

I hope that you will sell it as you want.

Sorry to cannot help more.

Franck