• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VLJ software upgrade

a2jacketpatches

I hear ya Steve, and in no way trying to discount your input. But just had to "qualify" my views with another guy here on a few things so I'll extend it in this thread sparingly. That is just one of many opinions I run across on a regular basis being in contact with such a variety of military jacket enthusiasts. Seems to be the opinion of many. It's a good way to gauge what's needed here if we're really looking to grow........or re-grow.

ButteMT61

Facebook is OK, but the forum - being at least partially closed - makes me feel more secure in that the content isn't out there for anyone to view/steal/borrow, etc.
I do think that there have been many times where someone wanted to point something of value out here to someone who was not a member and it was frustrating for them not to be able to view or join without a certain type of email account in place.
I like forums. I like this forum. But I think that some things can stay in place while also growing a decent amount to keep things afloat.
If anyone posts on Facebook as opposed to here, they aren't worried about security and/or privacy.

JDAM

We think that opening up some areas is crucial to keep VLJ growing and healthy in the long term.
It's a fine line to walk between healthy growth and keeping everyone happy.

You are probably right and I cannot stand in the way of a desire to open up the site. However, I'm afraid I won't be part of its growth. I have no public internet profile and will keep it that way. One of the primary reasons I participated (to a much lesser extent than I did ten years ago) in this forum is because it is/was closed. From here on I'll not post anything and just lurk. No worries.

Roughwear

Facebook is OK, but the forum - being at least partially closed - makes me feel more secure in that the content isn't out there for anyone to view/steal/borrow, etc.
I do think that there have been many times where someone wanted to point something of value out here to someone who was not a member and it was frustrating for them not to be able to view or join without a certain type of email account in place.
I like forums. I like this forum. But I think that some things can stay in place while also growing a decent amount to keep things afloat.
If anyone posts on Facebook as opposed to here, they aren't worried about security and/or privacy.

You make some valid points here Scott, but closed FB groups have far greater privacy than the public ones.

Last edited:

ButteMT61

You make some valid points here Scott, but closed FB groups have far greater privacy than the pubic ones.
Andrew - 100%
It's good for keeping out "others", but I personally don't trust Facebook itself with things. Might sound like foil-hat guy, but they have a history of not protecting users.
With that, I understand and support some level of privacy here. If it means we lose good members with their data/pics/knowledge, I'd be sad. Certainly we can compromise and make most happy.

Skyhawk

My posts in the Reproduction MFg section are not showing up in the "New Posts" section. Is there a delay or if not, can this be changed? It seems to me that not many people will even know the posts are there unless they go searching though the section and happen to see it. I believe that a lot of members here enjoy hearing updates from Reproduction MFgs. Why not let them know when there are new posts in that section?

Skyhawk

My posts in the Reproduction MFg section are not showing up in the "New Posts" section. Is there a delay or if not, can this be changed? It seems to me that not many people will even know the posts are there unless they go searching though the section and happen to see it. I believe that a lot of members here enjoy hearing updates from Reproduction MFgs. Why not let them know when there are new posts in that section?
Aha! Nevermind. They are there but I have to log out to see them. I guess if you post a new post, it is not considered new to you because you posted it. Makes since I guess....

a2jacketpatches

I'm all for limited public access, but I think for sure you need to allow potential new members to see some content, get them interested. And, much in the same way an Ebay auction is posted here to poke fun at, speculate and outright accuse, the seller should be able to see what's being said for his own good as well as others. May be a good way to reel everyone in a bit, too much privacy again, makes this place too clubby.

CBI

what sort of content would people prefer to keep private? We are talking jackets, nothing secret????? I can see how people might not want photos of themselves showing up anywhere after a non member finds a pic doing a Google search, maybe not show photos but explain a bit a closed forum? Again, the content has been so weak for so long, we need new blood.

a2jacketpatches

what sort of content would people prefer to keep private? We are talking jackets, nothing secret????? I can see how people might not want photos of themselves showing up anywhere after a non member finds a pic doing a Google search, maybe not show photos but explain a bit a closed forum? Again, the content has been so weak for so long, we need new blood.

Nothing to hide here John and John, with little effort someone could track me down to the front door, I wouldn't recommend it unless it was with good intentions :) but it is very possible. My email, phone#, etc. all easily found because I'm a vendor and I need it to be. So what very limited info is available in VLJ for most members is already quite the safety net and should be the least of worries. Most guys don't show photos of themselves anyway so the restriction of photos is a great idea and leaves just enough incentive to generate a new member.

John Lever

I was thinking of date of birth. Unlike almost everyone here I do not use an alias so could be found by an Internet search,same goes for Peter Graham.
D O B is quite security sensitive.

Roughwear

After posting a promotional post on FB I am pleased that some existing members plan to return to the forum.

Last edited:

unclegrumpy

My preference is to stay as it was before, and have people be required to sign up to join the Forum. I don't see that being a big deal.

One further aspect that I think needs to be fully considered, is one of the implications of opening this up, is every photo posted, becomes an archived searchable item on the web....and something that can be harvested and used by any person or internet robot that can find it.

Giving content away is cost, because it is worth something. Facebook's key to success is all of their content is free to them.

That leads to a question that I don't think has been brought up, which is paying for the Forum. It seems to me it would be reasonable to consider having a yearly suggested donation...say $10 per year or maybe bumping that up to £10 if you like something a little higher.

Last edited: