• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage reproduction patch or original 12th AF shoulder patch

Smithy

I'm no expert when it comes to patches but I've seen a few (albeit used) through work and to me it looks too "new". The "12" in the middle is quite abraded but the edges of the patch are pristine and the rest of the painted areas especially those around the 12 are in very good nick.

It's nice and the price is OK but I'm inclined to think that it's a repro and not an original. But there's a few patch experts here so I'd wait for one of them to give a more definitive verdict.

Spitfireace

Yes, its a reasonable price for an authentic looking reproduction. So I'll have to assume it is just that. I'd like an original patch, but because I don't know the difference I would be wasting my money unless it came from a well known reputable source. I don't even know what an original should go for. I guess whatever someone is willing to pay. Thanks for the input Smithy.

unclegrumpy

The pictures are not good enough to really say for certain, but I think it is probably an original. The question really is, are you restoring an original jacket or adding a patch to something you are going to wear. If it is to replace a missing patch on an original jacket, I would probably wait for a patch I was 100% sure of. An original 12th AAF is not that tough to find, and is worth around $75.

There are a couple of Italian guys that make really good copies, but I don't know what they charge. One is a Forum member.

Spitfireace

Thanks for the advice. The patch is to replace a missing original. I have an issue about covering over stitch holes of a round 8th AAF patch that I had to remove because it was incorrect. So it's tough to say what is going to fit properly. I missed the auction for that particular patch in question because I wasn't sure if it was going to work for my purposes. Finding a patch that you are %100 sure of on the internet seems like a daunting prospect. Only the most established people with a reputation to protect would come anywhere near being trustworthy. I'm currently talking with Roberto in Italy about making something that will work for me.

Hugh