• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage G-1 jacket photos - my new acquisitions

Tkecks

This is my first post on the forum. I've started collecting G-1's, but have not found an A-2 that I like yet. Here are a couple of recent acquisitions:

First up is a 1971 STAR 7823D G-1 in size 46. As this is a D-series it is still goat, although I have a STAR 1972 E-series that is also goat.

Tkecks

Next up is a 1962 Ralph Edwards 7823B, size 46. The label is difficult to decipher, but compared to other Ralph Edwards of the era (on other websites) it's clear that is what it is. I love the rich red mouton collar, and the goat is notably thicker and heavier than the 1971 (D, above) and 72 (E) Star G-1's. the heaviness is more similar to cowhide.

Note that it has a little label to the left of the main label that has a faded "20" printed on it. Not sure what that means.

Still... I find it a little shorter than I would like in the back, and would be willing to try and stretch it.. or maybe trade if someone has a 48 they find a bit big.

Tkecks

Last photos for now...
This one doesn't have a label, but I think it is a mid-1970's Imperial Leather 7823E cowhide, ~sz 46. It's a lighter more reddish brown than the other seal-colored jackets. The fit is really nice, and it's the longest of all the size 46 G-1's I have tried on. I wish it didn't squeak so bad though. Does anyone have a method to de-squeak these? Do they ever stop squeaking when properly broken in?

YoungMedic

Hey I had a squeeky goat G-1, gave it a once over with some saddle soap and it seemed to do the trick

Steve27752

Welcome to VLJ. I prefer the look of the M422a/G1 style to the A2, so do not be in a rush to get an A2.

Tkecks

SteveM422a said:
Welcome to VLJ. I prefer the look of the M422a/G1 style to the A2, so do not be in a rush to get an A2.

Thanks for the welcome! This is a great forum; now I figured out how to use the search properly there are lots of great photos.

I much prefer the G-1... the A-2 looks good on everyone else but me it would seem.

Jason

Nice Star.
Perhaps the "20" label on the Ralph Edwards was an inspector's tag?
I have an Imperial from '76 that squeaked too, and a thin coat of Pecards silenced it - for about a year, then it started to talk again.

Tkecks

galvestonokie said:
Dear T: are you interested in selling the R Edwards, size 46? what does it measure? thanks, bob

Hi bob,

Right now I am still thinking I will keep the RE and see how I feel about the length: It is just about acceptable... my main concern with length is that I get a bad lower back at times, and need to keep it from getting in the cold wind, so coverage is really important. Still, it's such a nice jacket I'd like to keep it if I can live with it.

I enjoy seeing other people's photos of these old jackets, so I'll take some detail photos at some point soon and post them.

I have a 1972 Star 7823E sz46 (not shown on this thread) up for sale on ebay right now as it is surplus to my needs (actually rather, surplus to what I can justify to my wife!). I had bought five, all at reasonable prices: four originals (Ralph Edwards-B, Star-D, Star-E and Imperial-E, above) & one replica (series-E milspec, very nice for only $30), and am losing one... and it's the star-E that gets sold.

Tkecks

Hi again,

I recently acquired this jacket, and am trying to find out more about it.

Size 50.

Label reads:
Model G-1
Flying Jacket
Contract No.261953
Flying Equipment Co.
Chicago 13, ILL

Serval Zipper.

It has had various NASA patches sewn on.
A nametag appears to have been removed from the front below the stitched name (see photo).
I cannot figure out what the stitched name is supposed to be: Ren Fennel? Red Fennel? Any ideas? Is this a navy person serving as NASA recovery staff?
I thought that this looked like a relatively recent replica, with some ebay replica patches, but now I am not so sure. It had a fair bit of blue corrosion around the brass zipper and armpit gromits, easily removed, but suggesting some age.

Patches are:

(right arm) Space shuttle, Apollo/NASA
(left arm) Lunar Landing 1969, Apollo 11
(front) Apollo 13, Enterprise approach and landing test

The shuttle Enterprise was tested around 1976, and never actually went into orbit.

It's a weird combination of different age components: are these jackets genuine 1950's private purchases? The patches could be anywhere from 1976 to modern additions, and the name stitching looks very high quality for the 60's? Plus then there's the removed nametag only expected on military issue jackets...

Please, any ideas comments as to age / authenticity? Thanks!

galvestonokie

Hi, i can provide maybe a little help. The embroidered name appears to be "Rex Fennel." i did not google this name, but he probably worked in some capacity for NASA. There were (and are) many former naval aviators working for NASA. i have a similar jacket in a similar size (not home now, so can't check). i lived across the street (NASA Road 1) from Johnson Space Center for some time and new a number of former USMC aviators. In fact, there were so many former USMC aviators (in very senior positions), they were called the "Marine Mafia."

Flying Equipment Co. made jackets and were offered for private purchase, i think during the 1950s, as most were of AER period. they are very nice, accurate jackets. There is some debate as to whether they were purchased and issued by the naval services. Most do not think there was ever a government contract, but the jackets may have been sold at PXs.

i hope this helps a little. have fun with your investigation.

Bob

Tkecks

Many thanks for the clue. I didn't think of an x.

I did a quick google search. Rex Fennel (deceased) was a helicopter pilot for some commercial helicopter companies in the late 1960's in Corpus Christi, Texas (maybe he formerly worked for the navy, I have not been able to find any info on this). The jacket came from San Antonio, TX, which is consistent with this, and the age seems about right if the patches are authentic. I guess he may have worked for NASA at Johnson space center in Houston.

Very interesting. Many thanks for the tip.

It was pointed out to me on another forum that the label is probably sewn in to the jacket as it does not seem to fit with this jacket, which looks more like the late 60's early 70's. Why someone would sew in a 1950's label I am not sure... maybe the lining was replaced (I will look)? Although this would still suggest that the jacket should look more like a 50's jacket, which it does not.

What is etiquette for jackets like this when you know a bit of the history?

Marv

It does look late 60's early 70's due to the fake mouton synthetic collar which wasn't used in the 50' or early 60's.

msparks

I have what I believe to be an M422A Navy flight jacket. It has USN stenciled under the collar ( difficult to read) and has the asymetrical pockets. Leather and zipper are good. Buttons are missing from the pockets. Lining and waist band may have been repaired or replaced. Name on the jacket is "W Cullenward" I would appreciate any information on the manufacturer and value of this jacket. The tag is missing. I think it is about a mens medium. I thank you in advance for your input

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3771/1127 ... e9d1_o.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5483/1127 ... 7460_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3792/1127 ... 4ced_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7456/1127 ... cce6_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7350/1127 ... f1fa_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3769/1127 ... 3729_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7296/1127 ... b7ed_o.jpg

Tkecks

Is there a label in either of the front pockets?

Here are your photos embedded in the post:

11272046386_04f4a1e9d1_o.jpg

11272002315_3b18387460_o.jpg

11272065534_c3f8b14ced_o.jpg

11272053524_8003bfcce6_o.jpg

11271984715_caa36df1fa_o.jpg

11272012714_f86f343729_o.jpg

11271944685_553534b7ed_o.jpg

msparks

Don't know about any labels I will double check when I get home. Do you think this is an M422A? The lining has me concerned, haven't seen anything like it online

Tkecks said:
It was pointed out to me on another forum that the label is probably sewn in to the jacket as it does not seem to fit with this jacket, which looks more like the late 60's early 70's. Why someone would sew in a 1950's label I am not sure... maybe the lining was replaced (I will look)? Although this would still suggest that the jacket should look more like a 50's jacket, which it does not.

It does not surprise me that someone would sew a label from another, (older) garment into a garment of more recent vintage or common provenance. This kind of stuff goes on in the Art world and the Antiques world all the time.

When I first saw your jacket, (which is nice...enjoy!) my first guess was "PX Buy" primarily due to the size. Did the Navy ever even contract for G-1's and their ilk to be fabricated in a size 50? Hard to imagine Naval or Marine aviators being that size.

ciddu

msparks said:
Don't know about any labels I will double check when I get home. Do you think this is an M422A? The lining has me concerned, haven't seen anything like it online
The lining seems to be a quilted replacement - M422A didn't have a quilted lining - and the waistband seems to be a replacement as well.
It's hard to make it out from these pics, but the USN stencil and the oversize left pocket could suggest a G&F M422A.

You may want to check if it looks like my G&F, which is suppose to be an original:

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12596

Cheers

msparks

thanks for the information and feedback. I am new to this and these are my first posts - I suspected the lining and waist band were not original, but the leather is good. Do you think the lining and waistband will hurt the value?

ciddu

In my opinion as a collectible item they will for sure, but if you plan to wear it, even just sometimes, the replacements might make it "easier" (more solid and less worrying) to wear.